Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

how replace old TV with flat screen TV

I have a 1997 Mountain-aire with a analog TV mounted above the dashboard. I plan to have a carpenter reformat the above-dash wood framework to allow mounting a flat screen TV instead. Before I hire someone I need to be able to tell this person how the TV will be mounted. I want the TV top edge to reach the ceiling in order to keep the TV bottom edge as high as possible because this is a front entrance RV with poor entry clearance. The ceiling is not rigid enough for a ceiling mount so my only choice is a wall mount.

All solid wall mounts are designed in two pieces. The first piece bolts to the back of the TV and the second piece bolts to a flat surface - which in my case would be part of the revised above-dash framework. My problem is that in all such mounts, clips protuding from the first piece have to to be dropped into slots on the second piece to secure the TV. But if my TV has to end up touching the ceiling, how can it be dropped down into place?

If anyone has done a flat screen install in a motorhome or has knowlege on how it should be done, I would appreciate a reply to this post or an email to robertsmooch@hotmail.com.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Flip the mount upside down and slide it up... though most mounts I've seen/used allowed it to be slid from either direction anyway.

You could also use an articulated mount that allows the tv to be pulled away, allowing access to the cabling/storage..

Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for a solid mount that has a tilt feature you do not have to use the tilt after it is installed but it will help with your install issue, i would consider leaving a small gap on top of your tv simply because anything that rubs while you are driving will make some kind of noise............good luck
OSSKOBRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #4

I hope to eventually get one of the larger thin PC monitors that will install just below the overhead cabinets and flip down for viewing - TV converters are available that install at a convenient location to operate the monitor like a normal TV. This method allows for screen size lots larger than my original 13 inch TV cubbyhole provides, without major surgery or loss of cabinet space.

Sounds like you might have to make a custom mount for yours - might need to provide access to the rear area of your TV area from an adjacent cabinet?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Paul I have installed several Flatscreens in Travel Supremes and Holiday Ramblers. I have used the Hitachi monitor which is very thin and the tuner then fits in your AV cabinet. The new Vizio LED Razor is also a good choice.Most Motorhomes have a trim piece around the existing analog tv that is held in place by several screws usually found on the sides. I remove the trim piece to access the old tv. I then install (glue and screw) cabinet grade plywood to the back of the trim piece, (same size as opening). I make a pattern from the back of the new Flatscreen and drill 4 holes through the plywood. In essence this becomes your mount. Go to local fastenal store and purchase 4 "Metric" screws that will go through the plywood into the back of the flatscreen which becomes one piece. Then I simply place the Flatscreen TV and mount back into its original position while someone screws the coax and plugs the tv into electric. Then install the original screws back in the trim piece. This eliminates any aftermarket mounts and securely mounts the TV for a very clean look and minimizes the amount of room the tv sticks out.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Paul

Here are pictures of What I did it in my 1999 Tradewinds. Front and Bedroom TV's. Also in there is a directory with the details of making the front frame.
TV Upgrades - Windows Live

Dick
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
That looks pretty darn good, Dick...
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

Paul, there have been a lot of these LCD TV's done lately. Do a search on this forum and you will find a lot of info regarding changing out old tv"s.
John H... is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #9

I am thinking about mounting my TV the same as you did, however does this make the TV overheat as no air can circulate around the TV. Also, what thickness of wood did you use, and how did you handle the edges of the plywood to look finished. I have thought of puting plastic spacers (about an inch long) between the wood and the TV to allow for air circulation. I would like to put hinges at the top of the wood someway and catches on the bottom so i can lift, but i would have to have thicker plywood to do this. How has yours worked out. I have a 2000 tradewinds model 7373 with a front door. Thanks Rivrduk