Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

How to add 10 hp to an old rv...

So I just bought my first RV, 1993 rockwood with a 5.9 cummins. 54k miles, really clean inside. Yesterday I got into the engine bay and started with the air filter. Took it out and shook it a bit...

Cleaning old air filter in rv - YouTube

The pic is the end result after round 1. After that, I took it out back and put the air compressor on it. I'll be getting a new filter soon enough, but until I can locate one, this one will have to do. It should have a bit more power now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air filter.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	57406  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
You did everything that they tell you not to do with a diesel.
Replace with new for many reasons.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
OMG! If I were you I would not even think of re-installing that filter and starting your engine. If it were mine, I would take the air filter housing and duct work apart and clean it really good, and then reinstall a new filter. Someone on here with some info. from you will be able to tell what filter you need.

Determination of Dust Ingestion on Diesel Engines

http://spiresart.zenfolio.com/p845566597 look at these photos...
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #4

I had to start it and move it back to its parking spot - where I can't reach the side opening - about 100 ft is all it's going to move total with this filter
Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
You need to take a damp white cloth and wipe inside the connection going from
the air filter and see what shows up for dust.
Install a new filter make absolute sure the connects are air tight.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

definitely lack of maintenance on previous owners part, good thing you checked it I wonder what else you will find that was neglected I hope nothing
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Look's like the filter has been in there since 93' !
Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Fosters,
What did your filter monitor show?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
The youtube is one sure way to ruin a engine.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Fosters,
What did your filter monitor show?
Don't believe this coach has one, nothing on the dash at least. I'm scared to change the oil in this thing now. I'll get the numbers off this air filter and find a new one. I looked at the inside of the pipe as well, behind the air filter and was fairly clean, as was the inside of the filter. I'm guessing all of the dust on the outside of the filter meant nothing got through it.

Being that it sat in AZ most of its life, it wouldn't surprise me it saw a few too many haboobs.

I'll tell you what though, I can't wait to drive it once I get new filters and fluids everywhere, and get done with the interior (that was actually very clean for its age, main reason we bought it; just needs updating, new wallpaper and restaining the cabinets)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters View Post
Don't believe this coach has one, nothing on the dash at least. I'm scared to change the oil in this thing now. I'll get the numbers off this air filter and find a new one. I looked at the inside of the pipe as well, behind the air filter and was fairly clean, as was the inside of the filter. I'm guessing all of the dust on the outside of the filter meant nothing got through it.

Being that it sat in AZ most of its life, it wouldn't surprise me it saw a few too many haboobs.

I'll tell you what though, I can't wait to drive it once I get new filters and fluids everywhere, and get done with the interior (that was actually very clean for its age, main reason we bought it; just needs updating, new wallpaper and restaining the cabinets)
OK ,I am guessing you got the point on air filters and not what to do.You are heading in the right direction, maybe someone on here can suggest a good place for you to get it serviced at around your location. Go to "new rig show off" on this forum and post some photo's of your New Coach so we all can see her!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #12

Thanks for sharing what you found. And glad you were aware of the dangers of 'Dusting'!

You may want to take the Youtube down - as I bet some regulation exists about smuggling dirt out of parks!!!

Good luck with your new old rig,
Smitty
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
In days gone by, we would blow out both filters on Cat 637 scrapers twice a shift. At least as much sand as OP is showing each time. Never caused problems. Always checked for pinholes.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

So I ordered a replacement filter using the part numbers in the chassis manual (only manual I have). The filter that came in was about 1" smaller diameter, and 4-5 inches shorter. Ooops. Now I've ordered another one using the barely seen numbers on the existing filter. Hope this one does the trick. Turns out the broken and brittle coolant overflow bottle is from a 1968-1973 GMC truck, found one of those too on LMC. Pretty soon I'll be able to wash that engine and figure out what else needs to be fixed in there and have it road ready.

I'm fairly certain from how much dust came out of the air filter and how much dust/dirt is on the engine, the previous owners were big fans of Breaking Bad.