Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I wonder what happened to the spin balancers that used the technique of being mounted on the vehicle and then spun on the vehicle. That way, it took the car into account as well. They utilized a strobe to show where vibration was occurring and indicated where to place the weight(s). bbeane- do you remember those balancers?
Yes I do. Computer balancers remove as much of the human element as possable, and about anybody can run them. As far as the beads go some folks like them and some don't, I have never had any luck with them.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The Dana Beads I used do not have to have special valves stems. They are larger beads for 22.5 wheels. I have 315/80/22.5 on the front and 295/80/22.5 on the rest. We just poured them in the tire while mounting. The ride is as smooth as butter. I think the beads for larger tires are bigger in diameter and do not affect the valve stems at all. I ordered them from Dana Beads online to make sure they were the right ones.

Dave
2004 Monaco Signature
Detroit 60
2011 Honda CR-V

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I wonder what happened to the spin balancers that used the technique of being mounted on the vehicle and then spun on the vehicle. That way, it took the car into account as well. They utilized a strobe to show where vibration was occurring and indicated where to place the weight(s). bbeane- do you remember those balancers?
That is the hunter machine described in a previous post. Big advantage is they balance exactly as it would be run down the road, including the brakes, and any "as installed" runout in the hub.
Disadvantage could be that each tire/wheel is balanced for that position only.
In theory at least, the hubs are perfect, and the drums / disks were balanced when they were built.

On this subject...

A good wheel / tire shouldn't need much weight to balance, and that weight is most often located opposite the valve stem.

A good wheel / tire should have near zero runout. If you watch it on the balance machine, it shouldn't be moving up or down or side to side.

Anyone who says big truck tires don't need balancing is high on something. Fact is some poeple who own big trucks that do a lot of miles are too cheap to balance them. A tire 36" tall can generate some serious forces from out of balance.

Runout is really important too. when they did the new tires on my pace arrow (I was there, and I watched every move, and I always do) one of the tires wanted a lot of weight. The tech wasn't happy. He rebalanced it 3 times, then finally broke it down and remounted it himself. This time it had no visible runout, and balanced with just an ounce or so.

ALWAYS WATCH EM.

And insist, IN ADVANCE that they spin the tires a second time, and you see the double zeros on the machine. Nothing goes on your rig unless you see the double zeros with your own eyes.

When I did the wilwood race brakes on my camaro, the runout spec was said to be four thousandths of an inch. I checked them with a dial indicator, and 3 of the 4 brand new disks had to be trued (turned) to get within that spec. If you don't check, you don't know it is right.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Centramatics for us. Have had very good luck with them not only on the MH but also the 18 wheeler. I first only ran them on the front axle, but about 5 years ago put them on the drive axle of the semi and could not believe the difference. I have since put them on the drive axle of the MH.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #19

Jim is correct, 19.5-24.5 tubless tires are very easy to mount and end up not seated correctly on the rim causing excess runout, which no amount of bal., and weight can correct (beads or wheel weights). Often time you get the story about bad wheels, tires out of round and so on. A good tire shop knows to pay attention and not let this happen. Also once you have new tire take the time to do a test drive when you pick the coach up, That way if there is a problem it can be handled before your money you just paid gets old.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #20

Just put 900 miles on new tires with the beads and ran smooth. First time I used the beads and probably won't be the last.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I haven't seen any mention of cost vs. benefit of the available choices. There are only three objectives that are obvious to me: 1) improved tire life 2) improved comfort and 3) safety. Any method of balancing can satisfy these criteria but when I consider that the results aren't always consistent, I tend to believe that one of the devices ( balls, liquid metal, powder in the tire etc) is more likely to produce a consistent result than balancing with a machine. They remove the human element from the equation and adapt as tires wear, get rotated etc. I've heard of some folks that have the power stuff in their tires that have had issues with it getting in the schrader valves and causing air leakage.

For what it's worth, my wheels were balanced on a bubble balancer and the balance is just OK. I'd like to see some more discussion on this because I've been thinking of buying Balance Masters. They use liquid metal and cost about $200 per axle.

They claim improved tire life of up to 50% , possibility of improved fuel mileage through reduced rolling resistance, and reduced vehicle maintenance through reduced vibration. I'm not sure I buy into all of this but what I do know, my tires cost me almost 6 cents per mile and the last set were worn out in about 4.5 years. They were worn fairly evenly but not perfectly even. There was some cupping and over time, evidenced some out of balance symptoms. If I could get an extra year out of tires, another 12 or 15 K miles, I can easily rationalize the $400 cost. Add to that, no cost for balancing the next set.

Can others weigh in on this and share experiences, costs and thoughts.

Thanks

Mann

Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #22

I just ordered two of the Michelin "Coach" 295/85-22.5 and I will be balancing them with a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water myself.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #23

No Tire Warranty with Beads

I just put 6 new Michelins on my '96 Sahara.
I had them spin balanced plus I have four Centramatics to compensate for any wear unbalance that might occur.

No one seems to want to talk about the fact that Michelin has a "warranty out" with the use of beads because they expressly prohibit any "liquid or solid" in their tires, only air, oxygen or nitrogen is allowed!

Read your tire mfg warranty and see what it says.

Mel

Tags
tires