Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How to best maintain gelcoat finish with decals -- no paint

I am confused about the best way to care for the exterior of my new RV.
- I would like to use one product on the RV exterior gelcoat and decals...no paint on RV at all
- I would prefer to use something that can be applied in the sun, though I am ok finding shade
- Looking for something that has stood the test of time, rather than a new product not tested on a real RV a few years
- I would prefer to apply only twice a year
- Not interested in floor waxes, as this is a brand new RV, and no restoration needed....and want to keep it that way.

So far, I hear that I should NOT put wax on the decals. I am very interested in experienced users of 303, reject, protect all, DuraGloss Marine Polish and Cleaner, and Meguiar's Boat/RV Polish & Gloss Enhancer. Your experience on why one is better than another, suggestions on getting good results, and issues to avoid is appreciated and valued!

Thanks, all!
Al (macnut)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2424185835.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	24524  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
oops....that is ReJex, rather than reject....iPad thinks it knows how to spell better than me....which it does, except when it doesn't. :-)

Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

macnut , I'm going to tag along on your post to see what info your getting.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
macnut......Good question and you really laid out what you want, with one issue. Unless you can park the RV inside year round, you're going to need to wax at least 4-5 times a year. No MATTER what wax you buy/use, they just don't hold up that well. I've tried all of the wax products you listed with the exception of the DuraGloss.

I've owned RV's for 36 years now. The only way to keep them shiny and protected is to wax, wax, wax and then follow up with some more wax. Unless.......you can park your RV inside and then you could limit the waxing to 2-3 times a year.

My coach goes out about once a month for 3 days to 2 weeks at a time. It gets waxed every other trip and the front end gets waxed every trip and often while on the road to keep the front end clean and bug free.

I'm 56 years old and this is getting tougher. I don't know how much longer I can keep the pace up. Twenty years ago, I could wax the M/H and boat in one day. Now I wash the M/H one day and wax the upper or lower half the next day depending on what needs it the most.

With all that said, I found that NuFinish is easy to put on, can be done in the sun and seems to hold up a few weeks longer than all the other stuff. It's sold at WalMart and is cheap.

I have tried dozens of things on my 3M film front end, but found that 303 seems to give me the best look and protection with the least amount of work.

I should have added......obviously, the decals hate the sun, but wax them the same as the rest of the coach. I use a soft toothbrush to clean the decal edges after wiping off the wax.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 2011 Coachman Mirada and used RejeX on it 2x year. I don't have years of history using it on the motorhome, but I have used RejeX on my 2002 Corvette since it was new and it looks better today than the day I drove it out of the dealership. Anything that gets on the paint comes right off.

RejeX is a thin-film polymer coating, used instead of wax or polish, to provide the ultimate, durable high-gloss protective finish for vehicles of all types
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Diplomat Don, you are an inspiration...that is a lot of waxing over the years, and I'm sure your RV has looked immaculate all that time! Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I should have mentioned that I have indoor storage for my RV, which may allow me to wax twice a year. They do not allow work on the RV in their facility, however, so I have to take it home to wax.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Nu Finish twice per year. I wax one side which is shaded in the morning and as the sun goes over I wax the other. Take my time. I'm seventy.

I had never waxed my decals but they were getting a little faded so I tried Protectant 303 and it did a great job.

So from now on wax twice per year and Protectant 303 maybe four times.

I cover my rig in storage.

My rig spends 4 to five months in the desert in the winter. I rarely travel in the summer.

She is ten years old and shines.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
62 inrightlane, I have heard good things about ReJex. Their site gave specific advice on applying, such as wait 20 minutes to dry, then buff, then let it cure for 12 hours before getting wet...since mine will be outside overnight, I was worried that the morning dew would interfere with that. Sounds like you still get good results, though.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ngs42, I am leaning towards something like what you are doing, though I am considering just using 303 on everything twice a year. NuFinish sounds like a good product for gelcoat finishes, and 303 is a solid for the decals...and maybe the gelcoat, too. I like a beautiful shine, though, so the marine waxes are appealing, too.