Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Question How to bypass Kwikee Step Controller

I read on one of these forums that there was a way to bypass the control module on electric steps by using a momentary switch. So far I haven't been able to find that thread. I can't find an old yellow control module and just purchased two new motors so the retrofit kit isn't an option right now. I don't care about automatic operation. I just want to extend and retract the step when I get to where I'm going. The moment switch sounded like a good option. Does anyone know how I should wire it? Or have a wiring diagram? TIA.
Blowsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Check this link for the manual.

Technical Documents - Power Gear
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't remember the thread but why wouldn't it be as simple as taking the leads form the magnetic door switch (one from the sensor and one form the magnet) and running to a moment switch? The moment switch would repace the magnetic switch. One my steps I am able to trace the wires for both sides of the door switch to the controller.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #4

I hooked up a momentary switch on my Kwikee step, however it only breaks the door sensor feed wire to keep them from opening when the door sensor triggers them. I discovered when troubleshooting an electrical problem that my steps go in or out based on which direction the direct current flows through the 12vDC motor. If you hook a 12v battery charger direct to the two wires coming out of the motor the step will go out. Switch the polarity and it will go in. I don't know of a way to feed this type of setup with just a switch. My only steps only a single motor. If I read your post correctly you have 2? That might be a different situation.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two wires going to the step motor. If you run pos. to one and neg to the other, the step will go in. If you reverse the wires, the step will go out. To go to a manual control elec. step you only have to run a a pos and neg wire to a switch that will reverse the wires. You can find one at radio shack or from Kwickee. The shack is cheaper. But kwickee sold some steps that did not use the controller. They were used on some of the cheapee class C's.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need
1 double pole, double throw, center off spring return to center switch.

Locate the two wires to the motor, connect to one "End" of the switch

12 v Positive and Negative (Ground) go to the center

Two "jumpers" connect the two ends forming a letter X.

That's it.

For safetys sake I would put a momentary normally open push button in the 12v Positive lead. Double sure the thing shuts off, that motor is fairly easy to burn out.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

Yup, double pole double throw (6 terminals) is the plan. Wire it as mentioned, which is exactly as a power tongue jack on a travel trailer if you're more familiar with them. I would put a small, maybe 10 amp circuit breaker on that circuit to protect the motor.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Since the Motor/Transmission for the Kwikee Steps is a modified Power Window Unit it should be easy enough to visit a "Pick a Part" Location and get all the Parts You need for a few $ plus all the Wiring!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I don't remember the thread but why wouldn't it be as simple as taking the leads form the magnetic door switch (one from the sensor and one form the magnet) and running to a moment switch? The moment switch would repace the magnetic switch. One my steps I am able to trace the wires for both sides of the door switch to the controller.
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the steps return to where they were when you released the momentary switch? Same as opening and closing the door?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #10

Nope. All the door position sensing electrics will be totally bypassed. The toggle/rocker switch is going to return to center if you aren't pushing on it, and there will be no power available to the motor. It's going to stay right where you left it.

The power window similarity previously noted is another darn good example of this circuit.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #11

I'm not talking about a self centering momentary switch. sdennislee said a momentary switch to replace the magnetic switch. Wouldn't that be the same as telling the wires that the door was open or closed?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP said nothing about the door switch, and he said he did not want automatic operation, He wanted FULL MANUAL control and to bypass the controller.

He has been told how by 2 or 3 of us already. Very easy job, I could not do it in my sleep but that's only because I need to be awake to see the wires.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #13

I was just replying to what sdennislee posted.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #14

Picked up a switch and installed it all for under $15. Works like a charm. The hardest part was fishing the wires through the cabinet where the switch was mounted to the step motor. Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome.
Blowsand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee