Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

HOW TO Clean/Lube Upper Slideout Seal?

Folks,

I can pretty easily get to my bottom and side topper exterior seals.

How do you get access to the Upper Seal under the Topper?

I have been thinking of making some sort of contraption to screw onto my extendable wash brush pole.

Your solutions would be appreciated!

Thanks, JohnnyB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With my slide in I can stand on a stool and reach the seal. Clean the top of the slide at the same time. I just slip my hand to the out side of the seal and clean and lub with a cloth.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_fl View Post
With my slide in I can stand on a stool and reach the seal. Clean the top of the slide at the same time. I just slip my hand to the out side of the seal and clean and lub with a cloth.
Gosh, that was just too easy.
Why couldn't I think of that.
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I use a extension pole for cleaning windows. It has clothe side and a squeegee on the other side. Using the dry clothe side sprinkle with baby powder I'm able to reach all the seals without a lot of bending. Of coarse I have to use a latter for the top seals.
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
van_fl I agree. I thought I was just doing it the "Lazy Mans Way"... I also clean the top of my slide when its in.
Baby Powder???... Uh, ???... Do And Or can you mix slide lube & baby powder? Just seems as though it would make a paste.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
van_fl I agree. I thought I was just doing it the "Lazy Mans Way"... I also clean the top of my slide when its in.
Baby Powder???... Uh, ???... Do And Or can you mix slide lube & baby powder? Just seems as though it would make a paste.
Dry baby powder only. I do this twice a year and the slides are smooth as a baby's butt.
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
Check this out...

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 AM   #8

Good Video

Wonderful video.

There has to be a way to get to the top seal!

I am off to Home Depot to find something that will screw onto a broom handle, likely in the Paint Dept.

JohnnyB
Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

JohnnyB
Don't know about your slides but ours have an inner and outer slide seal, so cleaning the inner won't do anything for the outer and vice versa. Our outer seals are debris free and I see no need to 'clean' them. But when we bought our coach (new) it had been in the Florida sun on a lot for 444 days. Each time we extended the bedroom slide, a part of the outer aft seal would not 'flip' out and had to be manually flipped. One spraying with PB Blaster dry silicone spray (Blaster 11 oz. Dry Lube Silicone Lubricant-16-SL - The Home Depot) and I never had to manually flip that seal again, and just reapplied some silicone yesterday after 5 yrs, just because I figured it wouldn't hurt. The PB Blaster spray has enough pressure that I can shoot it onto the top outer seal underneath the slide topper from both sides and it pretty much covered the entire length of the seal. Baby powder would do well also, just can't reach that far under the slide topper.
This silicone dries tack free and so I don't worry about it attracting dirt. So far it has really increased the flexibility of any seal its applied to. Our coach came with the black tape installed to assist with the seal 'flipping'.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #10

I use 303 protectant on my seals. Works great.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #11

Know what a "johnny mop" is? I sprayed slide-out gasket lube on one, pulled the slide in a foot, and wiped the interior seal with the johnny mop. Did the outside of the seal without moving the slide. Taped the johnny mop to my 16' aluminum extension pole and did the same on outside seals.
A johnny mop is made to clean bathroom fixtures, works like a small string-mop with a 16" handle. Available at janitor supply stores.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, slide, slideout