Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
How to determine MH value?

What is the best way to determine the value of a used MH? I have looked at NADA guides and they don't list all the options of a particular coach I'm interested in. Kelly's Blue Book online doesn't value RV's. What do dealers use to value a trade-in? Also, is there any way to know what the original sticker price was on a MH, maybe from the VIN #?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

I traded mine in last year after I got a price of a new one and 2 out of 3 gave me low Nada and would not add on any option's, the other one knocked off money for too many miles. I got 25% off of list of new one. When you price out one with Nada the list they give you is very close have to know what came standard and not add it on again.
geraldnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When I got mine three years ago, I found that NADA without any options was what the bank would loan and is pretty much what most look at.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

If you're looking to buy used, then NADA is a good source. Put the year and model of motorhome in, mileage too. Do not add any accessories.

NADA will provide low retail and average retail. I find these values pretty close for the open market.

If you want to find out original list, then add only those accessories which were actually options when the coach was purchased new - not in standard equipment. This will give you a pretty good list price - look at the 'List' price under this column. But don't expect to sell under these listings. Just doesn't seem to work that way...

If you're trading, then all bets are off. Wholesale prices are not listed on nada dot com.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

When researching last year to sell and then buy. we found that when looking for used values. All you need is year, make & model. Options mean nothing when talking about used. Neither does mileage on a diesel. Granted to you it matters. You'd rather pay for a low mileage vehicle than high mileage.
When we sold our old coach, it had been painted a 4 color paint job instead of the factory white with graphics, had in motion satelite, front cabinet had been updated to accept a flat screen tv, tile in the entry. It was only worth what a stock unit with no upgrades would be. And it only had 28,000 miles.
We made more than we would've trading it in, and the new buyers are happy. So, we're happy.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's good to use the guides and other research to determine the value of a certain coach. But, if you're looking at one that interests you, and it has new LCD TVs, new appliances, new paint, new curtains, new flooring, new tires, etc. etc., it's going to be worth considerably more to you than the same coach with absolutely none of those improvements.

On the flip side, a coach with all of those improvements may not be able to sell for any more than a coach with none of those improvements. Just the way it is.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't think you can trust NADA to accurately value a motor home. It doesn't even take into consideration the miles on the engine. Miles is a HUGE factor in determining the value of any motor vehicle! Just look at the cost for a rebuilt motor for your motorhome and you will quickly find that out.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Also, there is one called "The Black Book", does anyone know if this is a good one to get accurate values?
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
I don't think you can trust NADA to accurately value a motor home. It doesn't even take into consideration the miles on the engine. Miles is a HUGE factor in determining the value of any motor vehicle! Just look at the cost for a rebuilt motor for your motorhome and you will quickly find that out.
miles can be added to the NADA valuation. It may add or subtract value based on the age of the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Also, there is one called "The Black Book", does anyone know if this is a good one to get accurate values?
make friends with a dealer who has a subscription or check your bank to see if they have a membership. It can be accessed online.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #10

I only use NADA or other books for comparison pricing between units. The value of anything is determined by the buyer, not the seller IMHO.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #11

I looked for two years before I bought mine and I believe that most will sell for NADA wholesale/loan value.
adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamson View Post
I looked for two years before I bought mine and I believe that most will sell for NADA wholesale/loan value.
I am still looking to buy one. I have been finding that respectable dealers are willing to sell used motorhomes around NADA Low Retail and appear to be making sales. On the other hand, all of the private sellers that I have spoken to thus far are asking NADA Average Retail and expecting the buyer (me) to subsidize some of THEIR depreciation from new. This will not happen. Selling at NADA Wholesale to a dealer is not so appealing for them either, but the current market is what it is. The way I see it, the choice for private sellers is to hold on and wait for better days (yeah, right) and keep eating more depreciation and paying more interest...or sell it to a real buyer like me at or below Low Retail...or end up dumping it to a dealer somewhere down the road at an even lower Wholesale value. I'm still looking for a private seller who is realistic and willing to sell NOW for somewhere between current Wholesale and Low Retail. If I have to pay Low Retail for the used coach that I want, I would rather buy from a dealer.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #13

My experience the value is what someone offers you and you accept. Guides books help, but they've never matched my realities. I've been above and below. Mostly below.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks for all your advice! I made a deal on a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT and drove it home from Montgomery, AL, yesterday! It was really scary at first, but after about 30 minutes I got comfortable with it. Ran off the edge of the pavement a couple of times and scared the wife to death, but made it home in one piece!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote