Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Mr_D unfortunately got stuck with a lemon engine. The Cummins 650 HP is known for this and is no longer produced. Don't take this as typical. The other Cummins engines are very reliable.

I have been driving Cummins powered diesel pushers for 16 years and in that time only one repair was needed. That repair was a leaking seal that was caused by the change in diesel fuel specs that took place about 10 years ago. Been driving, boating and flying for 58 years and I've never had more reliable engines than my Cummins diesels.
I've been driving diesel powered MH's for 19 years. Installed a full Banks kit on the ISC, including new turbo housing. This is the first diesel I've had into the shop for anything but normal service.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #16

To me the best way to decide is drive them all.

It seems to be a crapshoot on if it’s reliable or not, just like a car you can have years of trouble free use or years of trouble.

A few months back I drove to a dealership who had a few coaches I was interested in. I looked at a 2013 Fleetwood discovery (40e I think) and a 2017 Newmar 4018. The newmar was quite a bit more money being so much never and it drove a lot better, I assume mostly due to also being 40ft however having a tag axel. Super smooth and easy to drive.....

Hopefully this week I will take a 2008 American eagle 45ft for a spin and a 08 revolution 40L as well as a 2006 38? Expedition...... I am curious how they will drive.

With all the stuff that’s crammed into these RV’s issues can arise however typically I feels it’s rare. If buying new any coach can have a list of issues that need fixed vs buying used which can result in buying someone else’s issues.

What surprised me the most about Newmar, was how quiet they are. The dealership I went to was 50-75ft from the highway, the sound difference between Newmar, tiffin, Fleetwood (they didn’t have American coach there) was dramatic to say the least.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, the RV industry is suffering from poorly trained technicians and it's going through a huge sales boom. The two factors combine to make an unfortunate mess for some RV owners.

I saw a travel trailer involved in an road accident and it scared me to see how flimsy it was built.

Gary gave you some very good advice. Stay with the upper end diesel models and drop the model year back to one you can afford.

I would recommend looking at Foretravel, Country Coach, Newmar, legacy Monaco, American Coach, and Entegra. It's a big learning curve. Take your time and learn from every coach you look at.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #18

Why not the best of both worlds? Get the park model and look into an older high end unit. You get the security of the park model for a place to go and still get to travel.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Thats what you get for buy an expensive MH I guess.
OK rant over.
ALL RVs are maintenance hogs. Stuff breaks and needs to be fixed. If your not mechanically inclined your going to be stuck paying someone to do the work for you.
BTW to the OP, what brand fiver do you own?
It is a DRV Elite Suites built prior to the Thor take over. Some things like the mill work is exceptional. Other things were just thrown together. I am handy and can fix most problems. I have found most repair facilities expensive beyond our car dealership and have people with little or no training. I just want something that won't leave us stranded on a freeway somewhere. I can deal with a lot by not my wife. If I want to keep on with this hobby, I need to find a half way dependable coach.
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Would help if we had a budget to work from and what length. It’s good that you are handy as every rig will have some repairs. I’ve never worried about not getting somewhere in any RV and non have been new. No way would I want 2 rigs to keep up plus it’s easy to change where you stay with a MH, start the engine.

I only sold my Dynasty because my son wanted it over a new class C...a trailer with a engine to shake it apart even quicker. Based on the 14 years of dependable service and excellent handling it was an easy decision to buy another Monaco product. Unfortunately I had to buy a 08 or newer rig because of a dumb 10 year rule where we snowbird, otherwise I would have bought a little older with a Detroit engine or a Cummins ISM.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #21

If mechanical breakdown on the highway is your concern, many of the DP use the same driveline. A good share are Cummins engine, Allison transmission and Freightliner chassis. All very dependable and service is everywhere. In my case, my Allegro Bus in on Tiffin's own Powerglide chassis. The entire coach has been virtually trouble free since the first year. My sons 2015 Mountain Aire was also a gem, but his 2016 MA was a nightmare. He's had his 2018 Newell back to the factory three times. The Entegra should be a reliable coach with decent quality. The 15 year old Country Coaches were a good quality as are the Monocos of than period.

Not sure any of this helps and you're probably just as confused. Check as many as you can. When the right fit come along you will know it. Good Luck.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #22

Open and close the door to the MH, should sound solid, not wiggle when you open it. Cabinets are also a good source of quality, chassis too. Gary B’s reply is spot on
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #23

My advice would be to Drive and buy what you like with regard to floor plan and features within your budget. Most all the brands have pros and cons. As has been said, many major manufacturers use the same chassis, engine, transmission combos so mechanical driving reliability should be very similar. House amenities and workmanship will differ somewhat but even inside the coach/house you will find similar fixtures, appliances, electronics, etc. used by multiple manufactures.
Different people have different tastes.
Is a Ford better than a Chevy? Is a Dodge better than a Nissan? You will get opinions all over the map. I am happy with mine. Others are happy with theirs. Find what you like, take good care of it, and enjoy.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The higher end models are better made, with real wood cabinetry, higher quality upholstery & flooring, wiring harnesses that are labeled, water lines with shut-offs, that sort of thing. But they still suffer from assembly line defects, where a worker messes up or simply skips proper procedure because he has fallen behind schedule. Inadequately trained workers still fill in when the regular guy calls in sick, that sort of thing. They still make design mistakes on high end models too, when somebody in engineering makes a poor call or doesn't do his homework well.

That said, I still strongly endorse buying a higher end model, even if you have to go a few years older to stay in budget. You get good value for the extra money.
That is exactly what we did. The Ultimate series was Winnebago's top of the line, limited production from 1998-2004.5. It's 20 years old now, and looks like it will last another 20 years. I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:49 AM   #25

What Vito.a said.
All of those are very nice coaches and if kept up will not disappoint you. Get on forum sites and start reading.
Add to that list Prevost & Bluebird. We attended a Bluebird rally where we got to tour the different models and talk with the owners, priceless.
Have fun with your research.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:29 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You can usually "feel" if a coach is built better. The solid feel of the door, The alignment of interior doors and cabinets, Bay doors that open and close easily ..... My 2004 drives down the road with zero squeaks or rattles. I have seen brand new units you could barely talk while underway.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy67 View Post
For the last six years we have been constantly working on our always broke top of the line fifth wheel and are going to get a diesel pusher. It sure looks to me like in order to get some quality, craftsmanship, and dependably, one must get into the more expensive units. After looking, listening, and searching I have reached the conclusion that it is just a crap shoot when buying one of these motorhomes. In our search, we decided on Allegro Bus, then Monaco, then American Coach. We have been spending our winter in a large park in Arizona and have talked with people who own Entegra's and other coaches and am now just dizzy with all the information. We have been living our retirement dream but this fifth wheel has been such a nightmare that my wife is hesitant and is leaning towards a park model and I love to travel. If I don't get our next purchase right, I fear this will be the end of my travels. Can anyone steer me through this maze of opinions that come up in these forums. I sure don't mind a repair once in a while but having tires catch fire and fall off, slides that won't open, constant fear of not getting to our next destination, and flimflam repair people have us worn down. There are dozens of nice coaches on line for sale but the longer I look, the more confused I become. How did you find your reliable coach. Thanks in advance for any information. best regards, David
My coach has had great company with the elite you will here about while in the service bay

You will find about a 1/4 million Dollar jump to the hands on custom coaches

Go to the big lots and form your own opinion and decide how much bling you really want

Had a high end 5th wheel as well but minimal issues

With your concern you definitely want to purchase new
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #28

One means to help your selection is to use the internet. Type in the brand name, size... and keyword: reviews, or: complaints, maybe even: recalls. The net can be a great asset in RV buying. Also, ask on this forum for input from others.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, quality