Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
For those last minute stops, we use the big trailer life book. It's fairly easy to manage now. That i'm getting used to it...

The woodalls bok is better, but mine is old. I miss that cd, lost it, sure wish they would update it and release a new one.

My old magellan gps also has some campgrounds in its poi's, oddly a completesly different set than in the trailer life book.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT
No more paper for me. Used to use the big Trailer Life Campgrounds book, but just go to campgroundreviews.com Click on Canada and then the province then the city. Gives parks that people who have used them and rated by the users.
We also use campgroundreviews.com, along with Trailer Life as a backup. Look at the rating, go to the campground web site, look at the park map to determine the amount of space you will need. Once the decision is made, CALL, Get the staff involved, let them know your specific needs. Usually this works for us. I don't know what your limitations are? When we push, 6 to 7 hours. We stay another night to rest, usually keep the driving time to five hours, then we are good to go next morning. Just how it works for us seniors!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
We stop at Walmart and or Truck Stops.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You can always just Google "campgrounds, wherever city, whatever province or state, " and get a goodly assortment.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #19

The smart phone apps are the only way to go because they interact with your phones GPS and can direct you right into the park with time and distance along the way.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I need to look into the smartphone apps more. We use mypilot to find flying j's, its nice, but does NOT give turn by turn directions.

Getting a signal is always an issue...
I'm putting the finishing touches on a wilson cel amp sysstem, hopefully that will give me more useable data signals.

The big paper book is never offline!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #21

You can get phone reception most places.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #22

I agree with the Walmart comment, but there are quite a few communities where sniveling by the RV park owners has resulted in ordinances that prohibit overnight parking. Check this site out and pay attention to the sites where it is not allowed:

Walmart Locations | Allstays Walmart
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #23

If I am headed someplace that takes more then a day it is quick and easy to stop overnight at Walmarts or truck stops. There are a lot of apps for smart phones and tablet PC, i.e. iPad, etc that help find these locations on the move.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #24

I have a Garmin 765 and I use custom Point of Interest (POI) files from here:

POI Files for United States & Elsewhere | POI Factory

They have a gigantic list including forests, parks, rest stops, Walmart locations, Passport America camp grounds, Pilot/Flying J stations, dump stations, etc.

You can even create your own files. Since I spend a lot of time in central and S. Fl and I also like Chinese food I created a POI file that lists all the Chinese restaurants in that area. I searched the internet yellow pages, obtained addresses, plugged them in to a site that provided lat/long details then edited the info into a POI file.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #25

So is it ok to park overnight at a rest stop? How about a truck stop?
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We also like RV Park Reviews . In fact we never go to any campground without having checked it out on this website first.

Here is an alternative way of finding RV parks:

Open Google. Click on "Maps" around the top left hand side. Once the map have opened you type in the city or area where you want to find a place to stay. When the city/area is displayed you type in "RV Parks" and enter. You should now have a number of red blobs showing the location of local RV parks. There should also be a column that refers to the various blobs telling you the name and location of each blob.

The disadvantage with this system is that you can not see if it is a nice place or just "a dump". This is where RV Park Reviews wins every time.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
So is it ok to park overnight at a rest stop? How about a truck stop?
I have read a number of stories about safety issues at rest areas so I avoid plus I would be concerned about noise being so close to the interstate. Truck stops are good, pick a spot out of the way, drop the jack, pop the slides and go to sleep. In the AM go inside and get a good breakfast
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #28

I have campgroundreviews.com where I can get it on my smart phone. They do have a mobile site which is set up for Iphones. I have it bookmarked in my Android.