Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
How to find non-biodiesel stations

Does anyone know of any web site that lists or indicates stations or truck stops that supply good old straight diesel or at most B5 bio? Having a pre2002 Cummins engine I am trying hard to stay away from the now prevalent B15-20 which seems to be at most of the trucks stops now days.
The one issue I have had with fuel filters was about 2 days after filling up with B20, when I had no choice. The crud clogging my filter was identified as most likely a product of the cleaning properties of the bio in my older system. I am not looking forward to more filter changes on the side of the road so I am trying to avoid the higher bio levels if at all possible.
Yes I have tried to use some of the smaller independent stations but when you call ahead to determine what they sell usually you are met with "huh" it's all diesel.

Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you had a problem, I have an older (2000) 5.9 and been running what Pilot/FJ sells for years and no problems. I change my filters annually whether they need it or not.

One piece of advise I would have is to always buy at locations that do a bigger volume of business. Some smaller stations may have diesel in their tanks that is several months old, or more.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #3

Bio is nearly impossible to avoid and will clean your fuel system. Once you get it up to snuff, all should be well.
Happy trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Well it's not just the cleaning issue, I can always buy filters. The bigger issue is according to Cummins pre-02 engines can have an issue with elements of the fuel system, seals and rubber lines etc.,, that is what I am trying to avoid. I know of people who have run it without problem but also know of others with significant problems. My unit runs to good to jeopardize it if I do not have too. My quest will continue.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bio also is the best lube additive you can use.

Cummins says: Most all Pilot/Flying J sell less % then Bio20

Due to the solvent nature of B20, and the potential for ‘cleaning’ of the vehicle fuel tank and lines, new fuel filters must be installed when switching to B20 on used engines. Fuel filters will need to be replaced at half the standard interval for the next two fuel filter changes. After this initial period, you may revert to the intervals specified in your O & M manual.

Use biodiesel fuel within six months of its manufacture date. Biodiesel has lower oxidation stability compared to petrodiesel. Avoid storing equipment with biodiesel blends in the fuel system for more than three months.

The main reason Cummins didn't include engines earlier than 2002 is due to materials compatibility concerns. Some fuel systems in pre-2002 engines contain components that are not compatible with a B20 biodiesel blend. EPA 2002 and later engines contain fuel system components that are compatible.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Add a bit of biocide now and then and you'll be fine. You don't need much.

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

If you fill up before extended stays, the fuel will not get contaminated.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like your fuel tank is full of crud from the older diesel and needs a good flush and clean, this should solve the issue with clogged filters. Bio is a very clean burning fuel with good lubrication properties. As to the issues of seals rubber lines etc, I thinks that's more urban legion then any actual experiences.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
B5– Any Cummins diesel can be run safely on B5 biodiesel blend.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #10

There's a page on the Pilot/Flying J site that lists the expected bio content of their stations. They don't all have B20, in fact B20 is the minority.

Here's the link.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Bio is nearly impossible to avoid and will clean your fuel system. Once you get it up to snuff, all should be well.
Happy trails
X2!
Biodiesel is found in virtually all diesel fuel at a 2% ratio, to replace lost lubricity during the refining process to remove sulfur, as mandated by the EPA.
This is like the 1970's when unleaded gasoline was mandated, you have no other choice.
If pre-2002 engines may have a problem I may be in big trouble and don't know it yet. I've burned about 2,000 G through my 1999 ISC since Apr. 2013.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #12

Good luck finding pure old fashion diesel as more and more move to bio diesel it is not to their advantage to keep making or advertize non bio diesel anymore.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

I own a gas station. My guess for finding non-bio stations would be google which states do not mandate it. Bio is mandated at different levels at different times of year in MN. Other states are probably the same way. If you can find a state that does not mandate it - chances are you will find non-bio at some stations. Bio has added expense to fuel in MN...if you find non-bio - you will probably also find your best price on your vacation.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #14

Cool

I'm feeling the pain from buying a new 2015 Motor-home built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. Use caution if buying a MB Sprinter van or any motor-home built on a Sprinter chassis - or actually any late model diesel powered unit! Here's why:

Merecedes Benz's 'spec' for the use of bio-diesel in their BlueTEC engines (which late model Sprinter's and some MBenz diesel cars use) follows below.

Mercedes-Benz USA approves the use of B5 according to ASTM specification D975 [Ultra -Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) with a maximum of up to 5% biodiesel] in all Common Rail Injection (CDI) and BlueTEC diesel engines.

The only approved processed biodiesel for B5 blending is one that meets the ASTM D6751 specification, to prevent damage to the engine and fuel system from deposits and/or corrosion.The use of diesel fuels containing a higher percentage of biodiesel, (B6 to B20) according to ASTM D7467 as well as straight biodiesel (B100) according to ASTM D6751 may cause severe damage to your engine and fuel system, and are not approved by Mercedes-Benz.

The Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty generally does not cover damage caused by the use of fuels that do not meet Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards. If customers cannot avoid the use of biodiesel fuel between B6 and B20, it’s critical for them to monitor their engine oil level and engine running performance.

Customers of Mercedes-Benz vehicles must use only qualified commercial brand fuels that meet Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards. Biodiesel fuel from non-name brand stations must not be used.

Important: Fuel that contains any percentage of “home brewed” biodiesel does not meet Mercedes-Benz fuel standards
and must never be used in Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

Good luck folks! Few(if any B5) major Southwest Ca, Southeast NV and UT highway fuel stations supply regular standard diesel or B5 bio-diesel fuel. You may want to try this bio-diesel finder.

TA I'm told pumps regular #2 standard diesel, but they are in the process of replacing their standard diesel with bio-diesel.

I'm also told Pilot/Flying J does not have standard diesel - only bio.

Some LOVE stops have standard regular diesel and their website says none of their bio-diesel blends have greater than 15% bio content which still exceeds MBenz's bio 'spec'. LOVE has easy to find diesel fuel locations on their website and each location clearly states if their diesel is standard diesel or what the blend is if bio-diesel.

A problem with P/FJ and other some bio-diesel stations is they label their bio as B5-B20 making it impossible to know just how much bio is in their blend. When doing web searches for diesel, many locations simply report -yes - they sell diesel. If you call and ask just what kind of diesel they mean, most have no clue what you're talking about .. then say what they think you want to hear ..... duh !!

I understand this (i.e. diminishing locations that supply standard diesel and B5 bio) is because our government is giving stations lucrative tax incentives for raising their diesel's bio content.

We bought this (our 1st RV) so we could enjoy travel freedom. Now our trips will be dominated either by searches for standard diesel or B5 bio-diesel as dictated by Mercedes Benz; or else fear of warranty rejection from using MB non-approved fuel.

Use caution when buying Sprinter based RVs or other late model diesel powered RVs. Make sure you clearly understand their fuel restrictions. Actually, until the whole bio-fuel thing is settled, it's probably better to go the gasser route!

Tags
diesel