Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

How to fix cruise control

Wondering if anyone can lead me in the right direction to start to find my Cruise control problem.

1987 Holiday Rambler, 33 foot, 354 Chevy engine

Pretty sure it uses the vacuum system. Not even sure if the electronics are operating?

I have looked on top of the engine and I can't find anything that is not connected up. Just nothing happens when I try to engage on the road.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have someone stand behind your rig while you tap the breaks, and make sure your brake lights do not remain on. Common problem is for the switch on the brake pedal to malfunction, and when it does, the cruise control will not engage.

ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Or tap the "brakes," more accurately!
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #4

Not that problem!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Not sure if yours is the same. The 454 Chevy engine in our old 1983 Winnebago had the cruise control vacuum gadget under the dashboard, and it pulled on the throttle linkage with a simple ball and chain connection. Moving different balls in a connecting bracket notch was how the off/on speed range was adjusted. If you have a similar setup, maybe the chain has become disconnected, or maybe a vacuum hose has a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj3cub View Post
Wondering if anyone can lead me in the right direction to start to find my Cruise control problem.

Pretty sure it uses the vacuum system. Not even sure if the electronics are operating?

I have looked on top of the engine and I can't find anything that is not connected up. Just nothing happens when I try to engage on the road.

Thanks,
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #6

Get the Haynes or Chilton book on your chassis as it should have what you need regarding troubleshooting.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe your system is vacuum pressure. With that in mind, it could be anything from a cracked hose, (are they dry rotted?) to a manifold leak. If you have a vacuum meter, I'd start their. If not autozone can rent or check it for you. Lastly, a chevy dealer. Best of luck.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #8

Many of the motorhomes that I've looked at have Rostra cruise controls, you may do a search for Rostra and they do have a trouble shooting guide. Good luck
Old 12-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

I saw a good video on repairing that vacuum unit. I will try that!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #10

The vacuum gauge did work while the cruse did not work. I just noticed while driving home tonight that the vacuum gauge was on 0. I checked and found a brittle white line that was broken. I will replace it tomorrow. I think it caused the engine not to run as well, maybe not advancing the timing? I felt the engine jerk and actually sounded like a burp tonight.
I plan to pull the advance unit soon and clean it up, hopefully that will get her working again.
I really do not know where or how the electronic unit from the blinker switch causes the cruse to engage?
Old 12-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj3cub View Post

Thanks,
First of all I have never heard of a 354 Chevrolet engine. Did you mean 454?
We need to determine if you have factory installed cruise or an aftermarket add on unit. Somewhere you should find a unit (transducer) to which the speedometer cable from the transmission attaches if it is a factory cruise. Then you will find another speed cable which will go through the firewall and attach to the instrument cluster. Somewhere on the unit you will see AC or AC Delco if it is factory. There will be vacuum lines attached to the unit as well as an electrical connector with two wires running to it. I believe they were green and black.
Back in that era there were several manufacturers of aftermarket cruise control kits. Most of them used a couple magnets glued to the driveshaft just behind the transmission output shaft. There will also be a speed sensor attached to the body which reads the speed with a sensor running near the driveshaft magnets.
All the systems whether factory or aftermarket used a vacuum dump switch which served as a backup to the brake lamp switch. This would deactivate the cruise when the brake pedal was depressed as well as the brake lamp switch. I have seen many of these vacuum switches fail making the cruise inoperable.
The factory cruise servo ( round vacuum diaphragm) may have a chain or linkage which leads to the carburetor throttle shaft. Quite often the aftermarket units used a cable inside a plastic housing which was attached to the vacuum diaphragm.
The engage switch on the turn signal lever could be either factory or aftermarket. There were some pretty good clones made back then.
Most of the aftermarket suppliers are defunct now. Factory cruise became almost standard equipment on cars and trucks in the mid nineties. Parts for these obsolete units are practically non existent.
Try to determine which type cruise unit you have and we will try to help you out.
Lynn
Old 12-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #12

I replaced the vacuum line today got my vacuum back, meter reads 40's or so revved up a little.
That is not the cruse control problem.
I see no names or #'s on the control module itself. There must be some wires up there just don't have time today to look that close. I do see larger vacuum hose going through the firewall into a round plastic ball.

The control unit itself has a wire type unit screwed into the back of it going to the throttle linkage.

That is all I have time for today.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

Check for vacuum at the servo.

That is the device that pulls the throttle.

If no or low vacuum there check inside above brake pedal as there is a valve that opens that vacuum to the servo forcing it to release when brakes are used in addition to the electrical sense via brake lights.

Is cruise factory or aftermarket?

If factory chassis manual will have wiring and troubleshooting

Can buy or checkout at library
Old 12-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
In 1987 the chevy P32 chassis was delivered with a cruise control as standard equipment.

Tags
cruise control