Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #1

How to flush radiator and engine on a 2001 CC Alure

Hi I am trying to flush my radiator and engine on our 2001 CC Alure.
The owners book says to take the radiator cap off but I do not see a radiator cap on it. But what I do see is under the return hose at the top of the radiator is a great big plug. At the bottom of the radiator under the return hose and great big plug is the radiator drain petcock.
The books says when refilling the system do it through the surge tank. The only pressure cap I see on the whole system is on the surge tank.
So does this mean the plug on the radiator is what they call the radiator cap? And when putting in the radiator flush should I also put it in the surge tank and keep that great big plug out of the radiator?
Gary.
cross road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary, When I did mine, I took the cap off the surge tank, and then took the lower hose loose off the bottom of the radiator to dump the system. When drained, installed lower hose. filled system with "Distalled Water" , put cap on surge tank, heater on high, ran engine on high idle till heat vents started to get warm, let cool down a bit(Had a beer) took cap off surge tank, removed lower hose again, dumped the system. I did this 3 times till the water I was draining was pretty clear. Then refilled the system. You did not say what engine you have? Do you have to check the SCA levels in your coolant now? If so , some on here went with "Final Charge" extended life coolant Peak Final Charge 50/50 Pre-Diluted Global Extended Life Anti-Freeze - Walmart.com
Half way through the life span of the coolant, the manufacture suggests adding a "Extender" to it.
I still run the SCA with the coolant filter w/additives. Not much of a big deal for me to test/check it once a year when I do all the other maintenance.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #3

Hi Palehorse89, thank you very much for this imformation. Your way sounds good to me. Do you remember how much antifreeze it took to fill your system?

Thanks also for the information on the antifreeze to use.

I have the 300hp ISC Cummins in our coach.

Have a great day.
Gary
Old 11-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #4

In the old days it was simple.

Locate drain and open.

Place water hose in top where you place water and adjust flow so level stays same.

Turn on heater to full and let engine idle until clear water.

Drain then close drain and add pure or now called concentrated coolant of your choice per manufacturer direction.

If calls for 10 gallons total at 50% add 5 gallons pure then top off with water and start.

Be sure to burp it to get out all air and get mix correct.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross road View Post
Hi Palehorse89, thank you very much for this imformation. Your way sounds good to me. Do you remember how much antifreeze it took to fill your system?

Thanks also for the information on the antifreeze to use.

I have the 300hp ISC Cummins in our coach.

Have a great day.
Gary
Like Tony posted, 10 gallons for the 300 hp engine/cooling system would be close.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #6

Hi TQ 60, thank you very much. Now I know how much to buy before I start.

Have a great night.
Gary
Old 11-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #7

Hi Pale Horse 89, I thank you for getting back to me on how much the raditor holds. I have been looking into Peak antifreeze you told me about also.

Have a great night.
Gary
Old 11-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
Community Moderator

cc always puts the oil/fluid capacity/quantity in the coach manual. look at the section you will find it. my coach with isc350 uses 12.5g.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

STOP!

I just used 10 gallons as an off the cuff number.

Please confirm the correct amount for your specific coach as the heater system could make it different.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Go with PH89 instructions. He has covered it pretty well.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

Here's an excellent write up about changing coolant by Brett Wolfe:

http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index.php?topic=6653.0

In this write-up, he uses 100% instead of 50/50 mix due to the amount of flush water that will remain in the system.

Fred

Tags
engine, radiator