Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #1

I'm trying to get my old 89 M/H ready to show to a few dealers for a trade-in towards a new RV. I suppose I could go crazy with this task, but does anyone actually know what the average dealer will base their evaluation on? Appreciate any good info on this subject.

BigBob
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #2

I'm trying to get my old 89 M/H ready to show to a few dealers for a trade-in towards a new RV. I suppose I could go crazy with this task, but does anyone actually know what the average dealer will base their evaluation on? Appreciate any good info on this subject.

BigBob
Old 08-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

A book value, the "overall" condition and your mileage mostly....

Save the white gloves...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I just traded in an 81 Foretravel. When you get to this age, the condition doesn't matter. Each dealer I talked to gave me a price and told me that they didn't need to see it. Regardless of the condition, they would not offer more.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:23 AM   #5

Same here. 1987 Tioga traded and the dealer never even looked inside.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 AM   #6

Even late models, the overall condition does not make too much difference. When a dealer takes a trade, it is mainly "dealer wholesale" from NADA adjusted for mileage only. Unless the unit is really trashed on the inside, you are gonna get THEIR book, not retail value for your trade.

For a unit like yours, where the value is relatively small, why not sell it yourself? You should certainly get more than the dealer will offer. The classifieds here on iRV2.com are FREE, and you might find a buyer quickly on EBAY. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #7

So all the scrubbing in the world won't matter if I'm reading the responces correctly. In fact my unit is uncommonly clean, and with under 21000 miles...We never took a big trip with it. There is the sound of an exhaust manifold leak starting, but beyond that it's mechanically normal. Just old and a bit crusty around the edges if you know what I mean...like it's owner

Edgray suggested selling it myself, but with all the RV's for sale everywhere I doubt I could move it at least not in my local area.

I've watched so many really nice later model rigs with for sale signs on them just sit on front lawns sinking into the turf, and never seem to move so I can't pass up the fact that a dealer will factor it into the purchase of a new one. I'm not real tolerant of the hassle of trying to sell such a gas hog in this $3 plus a gallon market.

I gather the dealers trade-in pricing is a mystery too?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

BigBob
Old 08-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I doubt I could move it at least not in my local area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is one of the benes of selling on EBAY. There shoppers are everywhere. You post a description, some pics, and a minimum price. The "auction" can last for just a few days, and you either get a buyer or not. All you spent was the listing fee IF you don't complete the sale. I don't work for or promote EBAY. I sold my 1988 Pace Arrow there without hassel back in 2003, and netted almost $5,000 more than the dealers were offerring. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The dealer will give you wholesale for you coach. Nothing more. They buy wholesale and sell retail. Simple.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #10

I appreciate what your saying Ed. I am an active eBayer myself. Usually I'm selling items that I can stuff in a free USPS Priority Mail box and pop in the afternoon mail. If I get a buyer on my RV who happens to live in Texas I'm not willing to deliver it or have it shipped..$$$$$$$ This leaves the successful bidder with having to pick it up. I cannot believe anyone would bid on an item such as an old used RV outside of their local area. So the reality is back to selling it in my own region, and my area has so many for sale everywhere it just seems a losing effort. Nada has it worth about $13000 retail and if I can get $9000 to 10000 for it on a trade-in I'll be satisfied. That would be about $500-600 bucks off the sales tax too. If I sold on ebay for those trade-in numbers they would take $500 plus in fees leaving me wondering why I bothered. I do believe in the ebay concept, and have used it to my advantage many times, but unless somebody with cash walks up to me and wants to buy it, I'm a trade-in guy on this one.

BigBob
Old 08-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #11

BigBob,

One thing is that many times you can actually get a better deal without a trade in. The only way you will know is try it both ways with the figures.

But I also have to agree with you. Many years ago, we tried to sell a travel trailer on our own and we had ordered a new 5th wheel. after no luck selling it, the dealer gave us more than we were asking for it. Go figure??

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
You may think the dealer gave you more than you were asking but in reality the dealer gave you wholesale or less. Dealers never give more than wholesale. If you think they gave you more than wholesale they inflated the price on the unit you were purchasing.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Have talked to some people who did well on a consingment basis. In their case they cleaned/polished/repaired it to the max. Logic was to have the 'best item on the lot at that price point.'

As has been stated so many times before--Make your best deal on a new unit, THEN offer your trade.--The dealership may balk at taking it, but tell them it's necessary and see what happens.

Good Luck
Old 08-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #14

Hi Bob, first start a pot of oil heating up on the range for some yummy french fries. Then go to the store to buy some potatoes while you are gone the oil will catch on fire burn your RV to the ground and you can collect on the insurance. Scratch that idea you're better off with ebay or local books like the want advertiser which are no fee untill you sell. I would get an idea where you stood by approaching a couple of dealers and see what they offer, you might be close enough to where you want to be and won't have to fuss about it. There is a large mark up on these units and some one may want to move stock for new models or need to meet a floor plan this late in the season here in New England and deal with you. Good luck. Scotty.