Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
How to handle a trade on a new RV

We are still relatively new to Rving. We are outgrowing our current Class C and are hoping to do a deal on a new 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. We have a class C that we are willing to trade. However, we are having a little trouble with the process. They would like our trade today so that the value does not go down. However, we won't be seeing our new RV for at least 12 weeks. So -- that puts us (1) without an RV and (2) without the value of our RV if the deal were to go south for some reason.

If it fell apart they would give us the trade-in value only and they would have all the upside of having sold our RV above the trade-in value. That does not seem like a good deal. The reason we would be willing to do the trade is because of the tax benefit of about $5k on sales tax for doing the trade as part of the deal rather than selling it on our own. So -- we get $55k on trade which would be similar to $60k on retail and we may have been able a few more $ if we sold it ourselves - but not worth the hassle at that point.

How does this usually work? Is this a fair request on their part? Are there other ways to put the deal together so that we don't get such a short end if it does fall apart?

I always see and get such great advice from this forum. So - looking forward to hearing your wisdom for a newer RVer.

Thanks,
Angie
__________________

__________________
ambrown19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrown19 View Post
We are still relatively new to Rving. We are outgrowing our current Class C and are hoping to do a deal on a new 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. We have a class C that we are willing to trade. However, we are having a little trouble with the process. They would like our trade today so that the value does not go down. However, we won't be seeing our new RV for at least 12 weeks. So -- that puts us (1) without an RV and (2) without the value of our RV if the deal were to go south for some reason.

If it fell apart they would give us the trade-in value only and they would have all the upside of having sold our RV above the trade-in value. That does not seem like a good deal. The reason we would be willing to do the trade is because of the tax benefit of about $5k on sales tax for doing the trade as part of the deal rather than selling it on our own. So -- we get $55k on trade which would be similar to $60k on retail and we may have been able a few more $ if we sold it ourselves - but not worth the hassle at that point.

How does this usually work? Is this a fair request on their part? Are there other ways to put the deal together so that we don't get such a short end if it does fall apart?

I always see and get such great advice from this forum. So - looking forward to hearing your wisdom for a newer RVer.

Thanks,
Angie
I just went through this exzact scenario......

we had a class c 25'r..... i want to trade for a 26' class A...I wanted the new body style sun star... 26he... and also wanted the 6 speed trans....



well,..same deal.... I had to order the coach turn in my coach and wait about 3 months for the new one...

so what i did was purchase a left over 2015 26'r.... had it a couple months and they called and said..... we have the motorhome you wanted... just came off the line....so I traded again...

we now have the coach we (I) wanted and never lost any of the sales tax credit...
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrown19 View Post
We are still relatively new to Rving. We are outgrowing our current Class C and are hoping to do a deal on a new 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. We have a class C that we are willing to trade. However, we are having a little trouble with the process. They would like our trade today so that the value does not go down. However, we won't be seeing our new RV for at least 12 weeks. So -- that puts us (1) without an RV and (2) without the value of our RV if the deal were to go south for some reason.

If it fell apart they would give us the trade-in value only and they would have all the upside of having sold our RV above the trade-in value. That does not seem like a good deal. The reason we would be willing to do the trade is because of the tax benefit of about $5k on sales tax for doing the trade as part of the deal rather than selling it on our own. So -- we get $55k on trade which would be similar to $60k on retail and we may have been able a few more $ if we sold it ourselves - but not worth the hassle at that point.

How does this usually work? Is this a fair request on their part? Are there other ways to put the deal together so that we don't get such a short end if it does fall apart?

I always see and get such great advice from this forum. So - looking forward to hearing your wisdom for a newer RVer.

Thanks,
Angie
what is so special about the one you are ordering????when I went through this ...that was the only way to get a 6 speed.... now they are everywhere...


and if you don't mind.... where are you????... I might be able to save you a little and have it delivered to your door....
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrown19 View Post
We are still relatively new to Rving. We are outgrowing our current Class C and are hoping to do a deal on a new 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. We have a class C that we are willing to trade. However, we are having a little trouble with the process. They would like our trade today so that the value does not go down. However, we won't be seeing our new RV for at least 12 weeks. So -- that puts us (1) without an RV and (2) without the value of our RV if the deal were to go south for some reason.

If it fell apart they would give us the trade-in value only and they would have all the upside of having sold our RV above the trade-in value. That does not seem like a good deal. The reason we would be willing to do the trade is because of the tax benefit of about $5k on sales tax for doing the trade as part of the deal rather than selling it on our own. So -- we get $55k on trade which would be similar to $60k on retail and we may have been able a few more $ if we sold it ourselves - but not worth the hassle at that point.

How does this usually work? Is this a fair request on their part? Are there other ways to put the deal together so that we don't get such a short end if it does fall apart?

I always see and get such great advice from this forum. So - looking forward to hearing your wisdom for a newer RVer.

Thanks,
Angie
First of all you have to keep in mind this dealer is in business to make a profit. Just like any business. If they can turn it for more than they have in it then that is the way it is supposed to work for them.
I feel your pain on the sales tax. No one likes to pay that but it is a fact of life.
I would ask for a sales contract contingent on inspection of the new unit. If they agree you could negotiate for the trade price plus the sales tax and the dealer writes you a check for that amount. If you make the final deal you accept the original trade price plus you have the additional 5K to apply against the sales tax. In the meantime you have the check for the total amount.
Another possibility would be they pay you outright for your trade and sign an agreement if you do the final deal they drop the price of the new unit enough to cover the sales tax you would have to pay if you traded it today.
How many plans do you have to use your present Class C in the next 12 weeks?
Frankly I wouldn't hand over anything of value to someone who has a right to dispose of it. They definitely would have the upper hand and you would be at their mercy. Not a good situation for you. IMO. Now they are playing with your money.
Have I confused you enough yet?
Lynn
__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 13
Wow -- buying an extra RV!!! So you turned in your trade and bought a new to you RV. That is quite the deal. The upside is that if we were giving up an RV for a few months -- this is the time of the year to do it. Our last trip til spring is usually Thanksgiving. So - we would not have to winterize it. It just seems weird that we give them so much as a down payment and take all the risk.


The Sightseer 33C is the model. I see lots of the other floor plans - but not as many of this one listed now. I think the entire family is in love with it. We like the floorplan and length. We must have the drop down bunk and the queen bed. We also prefer the Mountain View color scheme. We are in the Seattle area. There are about 33 Sightseers in the country -- but there are few that meet our match. They either have a king bed with no night stands (we are both blind and need a place for our glasses at night. :-)) or no drop down bunk (we are traveling with 2 teenage boys) or they have the color red on the exterior and my husband is an avid Husky. He'd like them to paint the W purple while it is at the plant.


Angie


I know there is one in CA that is very close to a match that we almost bought at the Pomona RV show. However, there are the logistics of a trade and bringing the RV home. They were willing to give us about the same deal we were getting here - but they have rig on hand -- no waiting. We could also get it from Lichtsen RV for a lot cheaper but I'm not driving my trade across the country. We do see benefit to having a good dealership relationship and honestly are going to get our service done at this RV dealer no matter where we buy. They have a very good reputation.
__________________
ambrown19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
The last few times we've ordered a new rig we kept the old one till the new one got here but negotiated the whole trade/difference at the time of the order.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The last few times we've ordered a new rig we kept the old one till the new one got here but negotiated the whole trade/difference at the time of the order.

This is what I would tell the dealer is how the deal will be done. Period.

Too many possible downsides for you otherwise. A great deal for the dealer however.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,831
No way !
We've done the trade in thingy (more than once !)
and never turned in the trade until we accepted the new one...
__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Traps90's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,269
Never would I let a dealer have that kind of an upper hand on us in a deal. Finalize the deal with your trade, give them a small deposit and wait for the new unit to come in. Inspect the new one and then finalize the the paper work and give them the trade.
__________________
Trap, Jan and the Pup
2013 Monaco Diplomat 43dft
2010 Black Jeep Liberty
Traps90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gemert's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 847
Not a chance in hell!!!
__________________
Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,479
No, no, and no! The very first sentence in your post indicates the dealer smells a sucker
__________________
Don
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:18 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrown19 View Post
Wow -- buying an extra RV!!! So you turned in your trade and bought a new to you RV. That is quite the deal. The upside is that if we were giving up an RV for a few months -- this is the time of the year to do it. Our last trip til spring is usually Thanksgiving. So - we would not have to winterize it. It just seems weird that we give them so much as a down payment and take all the risk.


The Sightseer 33C is the model. I see lots of the other floor plans - but not as many of this one listed now. I think the entire family is in love with it. We like the floorplan and length. We must have the drop down bunk and the queen bed. We also prefer the Mountain View color scheme. We are in the Seattle area. There are about 33 Sightseers in the country -- but there are few that meet our match. They either have a king bed with no night stands (we are both blind and need a place for our glasses at night. :-)) or no drop down bunk (we are traveling with 2 teenage boys) or they have the color red on the exterior and my husband is an avid Husky. He'd like them to paint the W purple while it is at the plant.


Angie


I know there is one in CA that is very close to a match that we almost bought at the Pomona RV show. However, there are the logistics of a trade and bringing the RV home. They were willing to give us about the same deal we were getting here - but they have rig on hand -- no waiting. We could also get it from Lichtsen RV for a lot cheaper but I'm not driving my trade across the country. We do see benefit to having a good dealership relationship and honestly are going to get our service done at this RV dealer no matter where we buy. They have a very good reputation.
I was in vegas and bought my MH from the pomona rv show.... sight unseen and they delivered it to vegas.... they delivered the new motorhome and drove the trade back...... when I was going to order one ... all I had to do was give them a credit card deposit.... and they let me keep the trade in till the new one showed up..

I bought from Mike thompson in fountain valley.... i've bought 40 motorhomes from them and never a hic -up..... probley bought a total of 25 sight un-seen...

my sales guy is dave....714-580-7871.... tell him steve from vegas

I know they ship out of state alot
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
Your new coach won't be there for 3 months. The value of your trade could certainly drop in the book by several thousand dollars by then. Its a catch 22. Im sure somewhere in the sales contract is an allowance that says the dealer may reappraise your trade at the time of delivery. Ive seen it done both ways but be prepared for the value to change. Our contracts have this clause. On the flip side, the price of your new vehicle is locked in the day it is ordered, any future price adjustments from the manufacturer will not effect you and they do happen. To answer your question, yes you could be on the hook for the difference between agreed actual cash value and your payoff should your deal fall apart. A smart dealer would also ask you to sign a consignment agreement if taking your trade in early to guarantee clear title from you. Without it there could be some grey area as to who is responsible for the payoff but assuming your going to sign a sales contract for the new unit before dropping off your trade, you would be responsible for the payoff should you cancel the deal after your trade is sold.
__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
CampingCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 1,144
They may have a sale already for your trade in. When we got our Class A they offered a price on trade in sight unseen. On the day of the deal they just made sure everything functioned on it & we drove off in the Motorhome. Easy peezy.
__________________

__________________
2011 40' Monaco Cayman PBQ ISC 360
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
CampingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting the Step Handle PDR John Newmar Owner's Forum 3 12-14-2014 02:18 PM
Entry Handle Replacement dennis45 Newmar Owner's Forum 10 11-17-2014 07:16 PM
Repair of shower handle in Dynasty Gary.Jones Monaco Owner's Forum 1 05-02-2014 09:58 PM
lighted door grab handle alv3769 Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 4 10-23-2013 10:04 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.