Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

How to hook up TV for on-road travel?

Hi Folks:

Our Xmas purchase is almost ready for the road after 2 months of repairs. This 2007 Itasca Sunova has two TV's, both are old-school tube TVs. I would like to replace them, but I also would like the larger (front) TV to work while driving because of the three kids. Recommendations on how to pull this off would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Feel free to our search feature. These are very common upgrades and there is a lot of great information available here on how to do it.

I replaced all three set that came in my 07 Itasca Ellipse 40FD. The starting point for me was to find a set with the dimensions that would fit where I wanted it to go. Amazon lists the measurements of the sets so it's pretty easy to do.

I'd probably only use LCD/LED sets if I were to start all over today. They are thinner, brighter and lighter... and therefore I think they travel better.

You'll need to figure out how to get your old sets removed... it's often times tricky. Then you need to fashion a way to mount the new flat screen. You'll really need to see what you've got to work with behind your old sets before you can figure this out.

As for wiring so the set in the front can be viewed while driving... first off, be aware that it is probably illegal in most states. But, search this topic on the forum. There are different options documented.

Have Fun,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

You will need an in-motion satellite dish and Dish network requires a government approval that they charge $15 a month for. I decided to just use videos while in motion to keep from paying a provider money for periods that I am not using the unit. They will tell you that they only charge for the periods you use it, but I have also been told that is not true. It's on a contract basis.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe having the ability to use your front TV while driving depends on its location in the coach. Can the driver see it while the coach is moving? If so I believe it can't be turned on while driving.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I meant to say can the driver see the picture on the screen while driving.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
I believe having the ability to use your front TV while driving depends on its location in the coach. Can the driver see it while the coach is moving? If so I believe it can't be turned on while driving.
I think this is correct and since the OP indicated he wanted it to work while driving... I assumed that it currently doesn't work while driving and he wanted to change that.

The in motion dish comment is also right on if the OP wants to receive live TV broadcasts while in motion but I think the changes required to allow the watching of DVD's or recorded content on the front set are less complicated.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #7

Thier is a relay that throws when you start the engine when you change tv's take wire off I believe it's in the plug. I have a inmotion and never herd of a $15 government charge in works fairly well tring to keep up turning,going up and down hills,trees ect. I really would like to hear from anyone that got pulled over just for the tv being on and what the fine was.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Now it's illegal to watch TV while driving in Illinois

Don' watch TV while driving or use freeway crossovers

Not sure how many others have laws against having the TV on where the driver can see it, nor do I know how many others are thinking about adding the laws. Just letting you know that there are some states that already have laws against having the TV on where the driver can see.

Here is one discussion on here about the topic:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/front...ing-77544.html
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Thier is a relay that throws when you start the engine when you change tv's take wire off I believe it's in the plug. I have a inmotion and never herd of a $15 government charge in works fairly well tring to keep up turning,going up and down hills,trees ect. I really would like to hear from anyone that got pulled over just for the tv being on and what the fine was.
I had an inmotion antenna just last year. I did not have to pay a 15.00 fee to have it. Quite frankly I had it a few months and then got rid of it. If I was the OP I would get a winegard traveler. Get a hopper receiver. Program the receiver to record about two weeks of cartoons and then let them watch the recorded tv. I do understand some coaches have a relay that turns off power to the TV receptacle when the ignition is on but that is not a hard thing to work around.

The traveler will allow you to use a hopper dvr and record with all three tuners simultaneously. You WILL NOT be able to use it while travelling but the difference in performance will more than make up for that. I get better coverage in areas that have some trees. You do not have to have the antenna move when you change channels. If you get a joey and hopper or two single receivers. ( I strongly recommend the joey and hopper) you can watch a different channel on the back tv than the front tv no matter what sattelite it is on. ( If you get the hopper get the over the air adapter and it will allow you to set it up to see and record over the air channels from your crank up antenna over your hopper)
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #10

I have 2 receptacles next to my front TV. One is inoperable when the engine is running and the other works full time. I simply plug the TV into the one that works with the engine running. By the way, they are differently colored outlets for convenience.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #11

See NCBOUNDER's reply above - your set up should be the same. We also bypassed the relay on the Southwind so the new TV could be on during travel. It's mounted high so the driver can't see it while driving but it is nice to listen. When we replaced the TV in our Allegro we noticed the plug in the TV area was never interlocked so the TV could be on anytime. Again, the TV is high enough it is not visible to the driver.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I simply cut the two wires that weren't 110v that came from the ignition and capped them. Voila.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
JBrockey, I agree with the Videos.
Otherwise you'll have to keep resetting the station as you are driving down the Hwy won't you.
Most Videos are almost 2 hours anyway. Time for a rest stop also
tb.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lets start with the basics:

1. Do you have an inverter or do you plan to run the generator?
2. Does your motorhome have an ignition interlock that prevents the TV from operating?
3. You will need an in motion sat dish and a sat receiver. Do you have Dish or Direct at home? If you do, you could bring your receiver with you.
4. Dish does have a pay as you go program for RVers. You basically pay for a month at a time when you activate it.
5. Do you want HD TV? If you do, Dish is it for any dome antenna. The Trav'ler is the better choice in antennas but it only works when you are parked.
6. The Dish Hopper/Joey system is wonderful but the HD in the Hopper is not meant for use while in motion. In fact, it should be powered down and unplugged for travel.
7. You could add a HD to almost any other Dish receiver and pre-record programs and use that.
8. Lots of articles on here that discuss swapping out TVs. Search is your friend.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel