Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"caburke2"......How far back you want to hang it depends on what is there to bolt it to and what looks good to you. The father back that you install it, the more it's going to move up and down (long rear end pivoting up and down).

A simple installation is an "eye" bolt mounted to the frame and a similar "eye" bolt mounted to the flap, or a bolt though the flap with a link of chain bolted to it. A "quick link" mentioned above, is a good way to then connect the two together.

Now here is an important factor when mounting the flap. If you place the "eye" bolts or mounting brackets 36" apart on the frame and 36" apart on the mud flap, the mud flap is going to swing left to right ( driver's side to passenger side) as you go down the road. The mounts on the flap need to be spread a few inches farther apart than the mounts on the frame. This will keep the flap centered when going down the road.

This photo will give you a good idea of how to mount the flap. This is mine, I later shortened the connections to lift it higher.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I've read you want to have it at least 3 maybe 4 inches above the road level or it will throw rocks onto your tow car. Mine is about midway between the tires and the rear bumper. When you get ready to install it you may find predrilled holes for the attachment.
The minimum distance is 4", sitting on level pavement. Any lower kicks up rocks and debris from the road.
I have a DP, the mud flap touches the pavement when air bags are deflated, 4" clearance when inflated.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The minimum distance is 4", sitting on level pavement. Any lower kicks up rocks and debris from the road.
I have a DP, the mud flap touches the pavement when air bags are deflated, 4" clearance when inflated.

Same here, plus I use as Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad for complete protection!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #18

Crasher.
Was the full width mudflap dragging the ground and kicking up rocks? I'll be pulling an enclosed trailer come spring and just curious why you had so much trouble with yours.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Those full width mud flaps sure are pretty when a coach is parked or moving slowly.
However have you noticed that most "fly up" at highway speeds... (providing little protection)?
Mel
'96 Safari
That's what mine does. When the sun is right I can see the shadow of it flying in the wind in my rear camera.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mud flaps that sail are usually built from thin rubber or plastic and the metal supports aren't heavy enough. My Newmar used plastic and it always looked like bad, the plastic was greying. I replaced the plastic with rubber from DuraFlap, a sponsor on IRV2. Mine is very heavy and doesn't sail. It also looks better now that it's made form rubber.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The UltraGuard flap is heavy and when attached to the angle iron support it is heavier. Mine are attached by two eye bolts on the chassis with a "Curt Quick Link" and two more eye bolts on the angle iron. No chain or other dangling mess. The UltraGuard can be cut to have the ground clearance. I have a straight back rail on the MH. Others I have seen have an up-sweep rail and maybe a chain or extension is needed in those instances.

I towed with just the UltraGard when I had the '07 Saturn, and now with the '13 MKX I also have the KarGard II from Blue Ox. Both work very well.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Mud flaps that sail are usually built from thin rubber or plastic and the metal supports aren't heavy enough. My Newmar used plastic and it always looked like bad, the plastic was greying. I replaced the plastic with rubber from DuraFlap, a sponsor on IRV2. Mine is very heavy and doesn't sail. It also looks better now that it's made form rubber.
Mine is the heavy rubber Ultra Guard full length stone guard. It doesn't sail high, I can see it moving in the camera.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is how mine is mounted......I also had a custom thicker stainless steel anti sail plate made to be sure it stayed down. There is not one ounce of movement back there and my trailer stays ding free.
I also bought stainless steel anti sail plates for the mudflaps directly behind the tires front and back from a custom trucking website and I think that helps as well and they look awesome!!
Just in case you guys (Sims) are wondering......My friend Ryan made me my custom anti-sail plate for my full rock guard.....it is sweet and was half of what the online companies want to make a custom plate.
Hey Sims......notice my rear camera placement in the picture? lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11737909_10206018898783645_3514204910194497824_n.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	115595  
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #24

That looks great! Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The best protection for anything behind the motor home are the individual mud flaps that are immediately behind the tires. The full length ones look pretty, but can do more damage than they prevent.

I second this motion. No more flap, no more rock chips.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I second this motion. No more flap, no more rock chips.

Yep.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #27

How do you figure a flap causes rock chips?
Old 01-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
The only reason a rock flap ever causes chips is because guys run them too low. If you run them low they actually will kick up rocks and debris on the highway. You really should run about 4" off the pavement to prevent this from happening.

Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, install