Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mine 5" above the road. If it is less than 5", what happens that the mud flap fans the road and picks up debris to start bouncing and then hits your toad or trailer. Another big factor is when you are going slow and the rear wheel dips in a hole than the flap lowers to the road and thats when it picks up rocks and debris. And when it rains the flap fans the road and makes the water become a mist which is picked up and transferred to your toad or back of your coach.

MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #44

I think the "Hula Skirts" do a good job. The stiff flaps cause turbulence that will kick up rocks & debris.

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I think the "Hula Skirts" do a good job. The stiff flaps cause turbulence that will kick up rocks & debris.

All I have is stiff flaps, and no toad chips....since dropping the Ad-Flap.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Nope! Flexible lets stuff thru. Stiff stuff deflects it down.
Well... Thats what mine do, and I dumped the Ad-Flap

Sounds reasonable to me but seems I read on the wide flap that the wind forces down and causes the rocks and road debris to bounce and rhen fly up. I removed the wide one awhile back and am OK with that being off. Was just curious abort the dually wheel mud flaps.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Sounds reasonable to me but seems I read on the wide flap that the wind forces down and causes the rocks and road debris to bounce and rhen fly up. I removed the wide one awhile back and am OK with that being off. Was just curious abort the dually wheel mud flaps.

Sorry for the mix up. Dually flaps was what I was referring to. My rear flap is GONE!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
All I have is stiff flaps, and no toad chips....since dropping the Ad-Flap.

Dave has it right!

I started a thread on this very subject on this forum. Looks like the flap removed & no rocks (just the tire mud flaps).
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #49
Commercial Member

We suggest the dually mud flaps and front wheel well mud flaps be within 6" of the ground. Let the air out of your bags, and measure the length to be 1.5-2" off the ground. This way they will not hit the uneven ground at campgrounds when you park, but will be as long as possible.
We have both the stiff polyethylene material which does not fly up at all when you move down the road, and the thick rubber material. The poly material will last much longer than the rubber and do the job better, but some people still prefer the rubber. Just make it as thick as possible to keep some stiffness in it.
The back mud flap can help catch the rocks that get thrown up and make it under the dually flaps. It helps on many of the coaches, but not on all. Where it does help is in stopping large items in the center of the road from flying up and gaining enough height to hit the front of the toad. We have had several customers tell us about how that has helped.
For those that do not want to advertise the name of their coach, switch out the stainless plate to read something personal. At a rally it can also be a way of someone knowing which is your coach. Or out on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchors aweigh.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	121100  

Tags
class a, install