Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How to install a mud flap on a class A

I have an Itasca Sunstar 31' gas engine and I purchased a Ultra Guard Splash Guard for the back. I also got the steel bar to attach it to. That all came with instructions, so I am good with that, but how do I attached it to the motorhome. Their instructions say to attach it to the bumper or the frame.....but how? Do I just bolt the steel bar right to the bumper or frame? Or is it suspended somehow?
As always thanks for your help.
Carol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

One way

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450113126.417623.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	114161

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine are attached by Quick Links that attach to a hole in the frame and then the an angle iron attached to the Ultra Guard mud flap.

Do a search on "Ultra Guard Mud Flap installation" without the quotes and you should get some links that will have pictures.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks.......Sorry to sound a little dopey, but should I have it hanging close to the back and how many hooks should I install?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link to a PDF File:

Mud Flap Installation

I do not have my MH at the moment so I cannot measure how far back the flap should go. I have about a 10 to 12 ft overhang from the rear wheels to the back of the MH. I do remember that I had to crawl under 3 or 4 feet to remove the flap one time. Where did you but the Ultra Guard?

p.s., don't fudge on the bolts attaching the mud flat to the angle iron, use Grade-8 bolts.

Mine is also attached at two points of the frame rail.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #6

Mine is attached at two points, near the end of the frame rail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450114491.453633.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	114163

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Here is a link to a PDF File:

Mud Flap Installation

I do not have my MH at the moment so I cannot measure how far back the flap should go. I have about a 10 to 12 ft overhang from the rear wheels to the back of the MH. I do remember that I had to crawl under 3 or 4 feet to remove the flap one time. Where did you but the Ultra Guard?

p.s., don't fudge on the bolts attaching the mud flat to the angle iron, use Grade-8 bolts.

Mine is also attached at two points of the frame rail.
Thanks...I believe I got it on Amazon. The PDF you attached, I already have. It came with the mud flap, and I did buy their angle so it is already pre-drilled to hang the flap on. It looks like some people hang them very close to the rear just behind the bumper. Yours sounds like it was back further. I checked the frame and I don't see any pre-drilled holes for a mud flap. So I guess I need to do that myself. There seems to be 2 heavy metal, what I think is the frames, located more to the middle and I think that is where I will locate the mud flap which would put it about 3' in from the back. Here is a picture from under the MH. These, what I call the frame, are hanging down in a L shape. Is that correct?

Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caburke2 View Post
Thanks...I believe I got it on Amazon. The PDF you attached, I already have. It came with the mud flap, and I did buy their angle so it is already pre-drilled to hang the flap on. It looks like some people hang them very close to the rear just behind the bumper. Yours sounds like it was back further. I checked the frame and I don't see any pre-drilled holes for a mud flap. So I guess I need to do that myself. There seems to be 2 heavy metal, what I think is the frames, located more to the middle and I think that is where I will locate the mud flap which would put it about 3' in from the back. Here is a picture from under the MH. These, what I call the frame, are hanging down in a L shape. Is that correct?
caburke2
Do you mean just forward of the rear bumper?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes.....underneath the motorhome.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I've read you want to have it at least 3 maybe 4 inches above the road level or it will throw rocks onto your tow car. Mine is about midway between the tires and the rear bumper. When you get ready to install it you may find predrilled holes for the attachment.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

FWIW, I removed the mud flap that came with our Bus after I spent $800 having the front of our enclosed trailer refinished and repainted due to the hundreds of stone chips. Now after 3000 miles, not a single stone mark. It'll remain out behind the garage where it can't hurt anything.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caburke2 View Post
I have an Itasca Sunstar 31' gas engine and I purchased a Ultra Guard Splash Guard for the back. I also got the steel bar to attach it to. That all came with instructions, so I am good with that, but how do I attached it to the motorhome. Their instructions say to attach it to the bumper or the frame.....but how? Do I just bolt the steel bar right to the bumper or frame? Or is it suspended somehow?
As always thanks for your help.
Carol
Carol, I had an Itasca on a Workhorse Chassis and installed one of the Ultra Guard flaps on it. I drilled a hole on each side of the frame and bolted the steel angle bracket directly to the tail end of the frame. That put it about 3' in front of the rear cap and made it hang about 4-5" above the ground. Since it was solidly mounted it didn't tend to fly backward when moving. I did have to replace the steel mount after I hit a "road gator" (tire tread) and bent the mounting bar, but it did not turn loose or tear off.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #13

Those full width mud flaps sure are pretty when a coach is parked or moving slowly.
However have you noticed that most "fly up" at highway speeds... (providing little protection)?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #14

The best protection for anything behind the motor home are the individual mud flaps that are immediately behind the tires. The full length ones look pretty, but can do more damage than they prevent.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, install