Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #1

How to Manage Your Sliders in Rain?

I have only been operating a coach with sliders for a little over a year. It occurred to me that I had some uncertainly as how to react if I am caught in the rain with my sliders, 1 full wall and 2 smaller, out in a rain storm. Can this community advise me of the best response in rain, leave the sliders out or retract them? Certainly, if substantial rain is entering the coach I would close the sliders. But should the rule of thumb be to close the sliders when out in the rain? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
sundance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
No need to close the slides just because of rain - unless you have rain coming inside from them...then you have a problem & you need to figure out where it's leaking inside from.

If I know rain is forecast during our stay, I will slightly raise the front end so any rain runs off the rear drains spouts, rather than the front spouts, to keep the drips from trailing down our cockpit windows & leaving streaks.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #3

The slide design for drainage; off the slide roof; and sealing ; should allow for them to remain extended during all but the worst of weather .

JMHO: Snow loading on a slide roof would be a much bigger issue, than most rain storms.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 14" wall slide on my coach and other than keeping an eye for any water encroaching inside, do not retract it. If you are level (which you should be to extend) and your gaskets are working properly, you should not have any issues. I believe the reason "they" always insist on being level is because if you are not, the room can rack and twist in its opening which will not allow a good seal. If you have a slide topper, it should help to deflect the rain as well. There are many youtube videos about slide seal maintenance. Things such as keeping the rubber sweeps and associated gaskets clean and lubricated are covered and good advice.... at least from my lay persons perspective LOL. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If I know rain is forecast during our stay, I will slightly raise the front end so any rain runs off the rear drains spouts, rather than the front spouts, to keep the drips from trailing down our cockpit windows & leaving streaks.

Lori-
I hate that streaking!! I may give this suggestion a try in the next downpour. Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #6

Rain has never been a problem. Wind can be an issue for the topper awning. Occasionally I retract the slide living room slide if the wind is bad. I have camped with others who have lost their slide toppers in wind. We mostly boondock with little protection from other rigs.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #7

the only time we bring in the slides is during a severe t-storm with extreme wind and rain.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
While on a 9 week trip last year, we got caught in a storm in Kansas where the stream of water running off the front of my slide topper was literally 6" in diameter. How do I know this, we saw it when we ran outside twice after the tornado siren sounded and the campground rushed to the shelter twice!

It was a good test for the coach. If the wind is howling, though, the rain can be blown sideways and get under the toppers, even though there should be a good seal there. I was ready to bring in my slides because of the tornado warning, not the rain.

It all involves common sense. Usually, wind is more of an issue than rain and can tear your toppers. If I think there will be an issue, I don't take a risk and bring in the slides. Too expensive to play chicken with the wind.

If you are involved in a good rainstorm, take the time afterward to check at the base of all your slide corners for water intrusion. This will let you know if you have an issue that needs addressing.

Tilting the coach in one direction is useful in the rain and when your A/C units are working hard and condensation is running off of the roof.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Rain has never been a problem. Wind can be an issue for the topper awning. Occasionally I retract the slide living room slide if the wind is bad. I have camped with others who have lost their slide toppers in wind. We mostly boondock with little protection from other rigs.
Funny you should mention the wind, I'm in North Platte, NE, en-route to Elhart, IN. This afternoon, quite suddenly, we were hit with some very significant wind gusts, 30 plus MPH I would guess. Based on all the shaking of the coach and whipping of the slider toppers I closed both the dining room and bedroom sliders, left the full wall out. Shortly thereafter the wind died down and I have since extended the bedroom slider.

Seems like my concerns for the rain were a little excessive but better to err on the side of caution.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #10

Okay guys, as usual you have all greatly contributed to my education, with regard to wind and rain. Good pointers from all and I am greatly appreciative to each of you. I will at all times try to err on the side of caution. I don't want to deal with topper replacement or water intrusion.

Thank you
Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We all need a little water intrusion in our lives....... Said no one ever! I just play it case by case. I'm usually more worried about the main awning being out in a storm than my slide. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #12

No MH here, but the deal is the same.
Leave the slides out in the rain (severe winds are a different story), inspect the exterior wiper seals to make sure they have unfolded properly and provide a good seal all the way around. You can (maybe should) squeegee the slides dry to prevent water from getting into the coach before retracting them after a rain.

Tags
slide