Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

How to Measure Wheel Width Of Rims

Have an 88 Bounder with 8r19.5 tires----Trying to establish what the width of the wheels/rims is---Not going to take a tire off, then remove tire from rim just to see what the inside measurement is---It's chevy chassis with 10 lug pattern---Thanks

Happy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Tire stores have a wheel width measuring device they use to measure for the electronic ballancers. Stop by one and ask if they would measure yours.
K.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

Almost all rims are stamped with width, max psi and max weight.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Almost all rims are stamped with width, max psi and max weight.
+1
Probably find it stamped on the inside lip. If you've got a spare, clean it up and look closely for the markings.

FYI, the rim width is the distance from inside bead seat to bead seat, not outside lip edge. Kinda tough to measure with the tire in place.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
+1
Probably find it stamped on the inside lip. If you've got a spare, clean it up and look closely for the markings.

FYI, the rim width is the distance from inside bead seat to bead seat, not outside lip edge. Kinda tough to measure with the tire in place.
All 3 posts are assuming I have a rim with no tire on it in hand---But I don't as tires are on the vehicle.

Most of the online Q/A say inside measure as you stated---And also most say 1" less than the outside measurement should get you there.

I was hoping someone new already or had the same rim in hand they could measure for me---Must be a lot of Chevy chassis owners on this site.

Happy
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharold4 View Post
Have an 88 Bounder with 8r19.5 tires----Trying to establish what the width of the wheels/rims is---Not going to take a tire off, then remove tire from rim just to see what the inside measurement is---It's chevy chassis with 10 lug pattern---Thanks

Happy
According to the Workhorse Chassis guide, the P series chassis used 19.5" X 6.00 steel rims.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

1" less? I doubt the rims are 1/2" thick. On race cars we measure outside bead to outside bead using a big caliper (a deep bar clamp would also do), subtract 1/2", and round to the nearest 1/2".

Are you buying a replacement? Because it's all so standard the actual size really doesn't matter.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
According to the Workhorse Chassis guide, the P series chassis used 19.5" X 6.00 steel rims.
So Ed---Is what I described in the " P series "---I think it was called a K31 model, ( 31 being it's length)---Thanks

Happy
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #9

HappyHarold44, try this. Get a stright edge (yard stick, board, or what ever and cut it to fit on the outer lip of the rim, now cut one just like it. With the help of a friend, each of you hold the stright edges on each side of the wheel. With your free hand stick a tape measure throught one of the slots in the whell and measure from inside stright edge to inside stright. After that subtract 1/2 inch total for the outter lips that the stright edge was resting on. This is as close as you are going to get with out taking off the wheel, or checking real good for any stamping marks. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharold4 View Post
So Ed---Is what I described in the " P series "---I think it was called a K31 model, ( 31 being it's length)---Thanks

Happy
K31 is the coach model. The P is the chassis series built by GM. and all had 19.5 rims and the width is 6".
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
How come no one asked, why he needed to know how wide the rim is? Any good tire shop could answer the question.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
How come no one asked, why he needed to know how wide the rim is? Any good tire shop could answer the question.
It would seem like a waste of time when its not necessary for me to know why op needs to know. May be he needs a spare rim. They do come in more than one width.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
It would seem like a waste of time when its not necessary for me to know why op needs to know. May be he needs a spare rim. They do come in more than one width.
You are correct sir---I did find it stamped in very tiny letters actually on the outside of the rim---Rim had been painted making it very difficult to find---So the 88 Bounder has 19.5x6 rims.

The reason I wanted to know was because I was considering buying some like new used tires that were 225x70x19.5 and they need a rim from 6.0 to 6.75 and I didn't want to find they wouldn't fit my rims.

Thank you guys very much for your responses.

Happy