Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #1

How-To Prevent Mouse Intrusion

2000 Class A Holiday Rambler Endeavor

What is the best possible way to keep mice out of your motorhome?
cfgrove99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I let the cats have access to the motorhome Barn
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #3

Fresh Cab

I've used Fresh Cab with success. However, you'll want to double bag the unopened bags.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #4

Here is a link to over 800 mice related threads with the vast majority related to rodent removal & prevention.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

I've been using Bounce dryer sheets in our boats for over winter storage with good results. I also spread a few in the basement of the MH and behind some drawers. Haven't found any sign of mice in either.

I sometimes spread mothballs around on the ground under the boats for extra protection. Not sure if they are needed but they're cheap.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In our last coach...

We picked up a mouse in a North Florida CG. Bought some traps and loaded 'em up with peanut butter....no help. We bought some plastic containers and put all the tasty dry goods in the containers. The little bastage jumped ship in New Jersey. The containers have worked well ever since.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Stainless steel wool followed by mouse proof spray foam. You need to close up every hole you can find larger than a dime. Otherwise they will continue getting in.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Edit: looks like 450Donn beat me by a couple minutes.

First step is to seal up any points of possible entry. They can squeeze into very small holes. Use stainless steel wool or copper wool both available at hardware stores or in a grocery store by the kitchen sponges. Don't use steel wool as it can rust and break down. Get some Great Stuff Pest Block foam. Look everywhere there are plumbing lines/pipes, electrical wires, etc. both on the coach and in the basement areas. Don't be surprised to find a 4" hole drilled to route a 2" pipe, happens alot. Fill small holes with the foam. Fill larger holes with the SS wool first then follow up with the foam. For winter storage we remove all food, cookware/dinnerware/ etc. Then clean any traces of food/crumbs all cabinets, fridge, stove etc. Give the interior a thorough cleaning. We have used both dryer sheets and shaved regular Irish Spring soap placed in thoroughly washed yougart containers and distribute them around the camper and basement compartments. We haven't had a problem in 15 years in various campers.
Wiscampsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #9

Fresh Cab has also worked well for me.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #10

We had a mouse in the coach last winter. I was able to trap it with peanut butter on a snap trap. I then started to trap them outside the coach. I have a small shed close to where we store our RV. I have trapped somewhere around 60 mice since I started this extermination... I now have a block of bait in a dog/cat safe container. It took about a month of bait to slow down (now only about one a week) the trapping.

Needless to say, we have a large bank of ivy about 4 feet from the shed with a forest behind that on the south side of our property. No shortage of mice in our back area...

No more have made it into the RV since I started trapping outside of it. Sometime before Fall, I will crawl under the rig and do what I can to seal up what appears to be dozens of holes under it.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #11

Fresh Cab, peppermint oil in cotton balls. and one or two sticky traps if one of the buggers gets past the first two lines of defense. Put the opened Fresh Cab packet in a small plastic container with lid. Punch about 6 holes in the lid. I put one of these on top of each of the tires, one in the genny slide, and one on the engine. Never a rodent since I went to that regimen. Note: Although the above is for storage, I carry the Fresh Cab in the plastic bins when traveling and distribute as per the above when camped for more than a few days.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honda-401...MaAi0nEALw_wcB

Honda Rodent tape has chili pepper in it !
trackvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We have never had a problem except for one time. Last year while in FL we picked up some. We could hear them in the ceiling at night. I ended up catching one large one and one a just a bit smaller with conventional traps. We then caught 2 very small ones with glue traps and peanut butter. As we left to go home one ran across my foot...lol. When we got home we caught two more within a day. It was very frustrating as we keep the inside fairly clean. Not sure where they got in but we found their food source. Wife left a half empty trail mix bag in the console next to her seat...lol. Lesson learned I hope.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #14

I had a few inside the couch a few summers ago while in So Dakota and several last summer while in Idaho. I used the old fashioned snap trap loaded with peanut butter. This summer I am trying an old wives tale and bought a rope light and put it on the ground outside the entire RV. So far no mice. Hope I didn’t just jinx myself, lol lol lol. I leave the rope lit 24/7. Been told mice won’t walk across a lit rope.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent