Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
How to protect polished alumimum wheels

We got our wheels polished at GK polishing where we keep our motorhome. Now the question is what do you do to keep them as nice as possible. Is there a wheel treatment to preserve them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear wheel polished.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	126599  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try some Rejex.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Alcoa used to make a cleaner/preservative. I bought some at a rally a few years ago. One coating and they were still nice and shiny a year later. Got it from an outfit called "Always Shiny Wheels" https://www.shinyrv.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html
I don't see it on their website nor the Alcoa site anymore though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to just keep mine covered when parked at home and they stayed nice. The secret is to use very little wheel polish (thimble full for an entire rim) when touching them up.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mother's Mag and Wheel polish. You can get it at any auto supply store in the car care area. Goes on easy cleans and polishes with very little effort. www.mothers.com I do mine once a year and they look like new.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #6

I like to use a product called Maas get it online. Polishes and protects more than just aluminum rims.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
We got our wheels polished at GK polishing where we keep our motorhome. Now the question is what do you do to keep them as nice as possible. Is there a wheel treatment to preserve them?
Well Sir,
Your wheels look outstanding. Polishing aluminum is nothing but labor. So many think there's magic elixers out there that you just "spray" on or wipe on and, vuallllllaaaaa, it's shiny. Well, nothing can be further from the truth. I've been polishing aluminum for about 45 years and, it's been a learning experience, for much of that time.

You CAN put some protective coating on them, if you choose. Just how long it will last will remain to be seen. The more aluminum is polished, the finer the surface is. The finer the surface is, the more resistance it has to corrosion and dulling.

I've had hundreds of aluminum wheels and have never applied any coatings on them. I don't want anything hindering a touch up job every now and then. Below are mine and, I did a touch up right at 8 months ago. They have survived many trips, rain storms, washings and more, and still look the way you see them. But, as stated, a "touch up" job which, takes me a whole 20 minutes per wheel, about once a year, keeps them looking like mirrors. Your choice. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
GGC

Fire Up
You have mastered the art of aluminum wheels. Care to elaborate on your skills?
Have decent wheels but would like to have mine at your level. Kind of like my SS wheels on my '68 Camaro. Still have the car, one owner since new, Me.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGC View Post
Fire Up
You have mastered the art of aluminum wheels. Care to elaborate on your skills?
Have decent wheels but would like to have mine at your level. Kind of like my SS wheels on my '68 Camaro. Still have the car, one owner since new, Me.
GGC,
Getting those wheels to look like that, without a doubt, was a bit of work. They looked OK when we acquired the coach, 5 years ago but, I've just taken some time over those 5 years and experimented with many different aluminum polishes. I've used pastes, rouges, liquids and even the ole' "Magic Wadding" that we used to use in the military and older Fire departments that actually "Polished" the brass nozzles they had.

After all this time, at present, I've found Mothers, in the little white container, a light duty paste, is providing the results I like for a final finish. In reality, you can't get aluminum much shinier than what you see in the pictures.

As I stated earlier, the finer the surface, the more it results in its ability to fight corrosion which, is represented as "dulling" of the wheels. Think of it as, starting off as rusted, scaling, corroded metal. Very deep in pot holes and pits. Then, you hit it with a grinder and smooth out all the pot holes and pits but, you've left some serious scratches in it that are equal to hills and valleys.
Then you apply some course sand paper which lowers the hills. Then finer sand paper, which brings the hills down to un-even ground. Then, ultra fine sand paper which is like using a 36" garden/landscape rake, it levels everything out.

Finally, you start applying rouge, it's a stronger method for knocking down any ultra fine ridges and leveling even better. Once that's done, then it either a paste or, liquid, depending on just what's left to do. I've used both and, the result is pretty difficult to tell the difference.

But, like painting a car (I've done a few of those too), it's the PREP work that really counts.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Mother's both the paste and the liquid. I find the liquid easier to use when at home with a power ball..on the road I use the paste...this last time I put some carnuba wax on them too, see how that holds up
Old 05-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nice job !

Those look about as close to chrome as aluminum is going to get !!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #12

The only product I'll never use or have used, is the acid wash treatment found in some of those on-site RV wash N wax services.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Yep you flash the aluminum wheel with acid and rub it out with 2 types of rouges on a polishing wheel on 9 inch grinder. The acid boils out the impurities , aluminum is very porous alloy. But rain X works pretty well in holding your shine. I owned big trucks and had several in truck shows This worked for me
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Polished aluminium

My aluminium rims are water spotted.
Are they all clear coated?
Won't polishing the rims take off the clear coat?