Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
How to purchase a Motorhome

Hello, everyone! We are new to the forum and find it to be a wealth of great information! I'm so happy to have found it!

We are considering the purchase of a Class A Diesel. We currently own a Keystone Alpine 5th wheel. (2015) Love the 5th wheel but we've been researching Class A's for some time now. We like Entegra's Aspire and Anthem.

That said, I wanted to request some "buying" tips, words of wisdom and pointers that may be resourceful to myself and others. I'm sure there are people here with a great deal of experience- both good and bad- who may be able to guide me in this "journey". I'd like to hear about the pitfalls and basically what your technique is when purchasing a Motorhome. Did you go through a dealer? What about financing? What companies do you find to be the best to deal with? (I have excellent credit)

Can't thank you enough for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

New or used ? Makes a difference. If it's within 10 yrs old banks will finance it. Older than that good luck. Hitting the books. Do lots of research on what you want to buy in your price range. I had a tiffin phaeton which I sold and was a very good RV. We have an Entegra Anthem on order. Did lots of research which was best for us. Good luck and ask questions along the way. It's part of the fun is the chase.

Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

One thing that really bugs me about these new MH's, including the Anthem, that I just looked at online BTW, (beautiful rig) is that all that beautiful furniture—non of it reclines. That was the first thing I changed in our MH. Ripped out that awful, uncomfortable "J" couch and installed a full leather, love seat recliner set with console. Ah.........wonderful!

So, if you can, when you order this unit, opt for a reclining couch set/chairs/theatre system or whatever they call it. Sitting in any seating that cannot recline is totally uncomfortable IMO and will become old real quick. I cannot imagine many people who buy these kinds of MH's need or want a pull out bed. Who cares if this MH sleeps 8 for most folks.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #4

Last spring we put together a spreadsheet with asking price vs sale price. It also included options on the motorhome and where it was purchased.

It might be useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk
Old 08-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you finalize any purchase, I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service
Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #6

As you narrow your choices of floor plans, experience them both opened and with all slides in. There are some that are not too friendly to move about when all the slides are in. Make sure the bathroom is accessible and the fridge will open as those are the two things you will most likely access on the road.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephesis View Post
Hello, everyone! We are new to the forum and find it to be a wealth of great information! I'm so happy to have found it!

We are considering the purchase of a Class A Diesel. We currently own a Keystone Alpine 5th wheel. (2015) Love the 5th wheel but we've been researching Class A's for some time now. We like Entegra's Aspire and Anthem.

That said, I wanted to request some "buying" tips, words of wisdom and pointers that may be resourceful to myself and others. I'm sure there are people here with a great deal of experience- both good and bad- who may be able to guide me in this "journey". I'd like to hear about the pitfalls and basically what your technique is when purchasing a Motorhome. Did you go through a dealer? What about financing? What companies do you find to be the best to deal with? (I have excellent credit)

Info - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/13792144.cfm

Just might help, but as you are in a 5'er you are likely Knowledgeable and know what you are after.

Only You and your DW Know what You want.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
New or used ? Makes a difference. If it's within 10 yrs old banks will finance it. Older than that good luck. Hitting the books. Do lots of research on what you want to buy in your price range. I had a tiffin phaeton which I sold and was a very good RV. We have an Entegra Anthem on order. Did lots of research which was best for us. Good luck and ask questions along the way. It's part of the fun is the chase.

Thank you so much for sharing! We are heavily researching the Anthem. Love it. The RBQ model would work best for us. Did you sell your Phaeton outright yourself? If so, did you advertise it in RV Trader? We are interested in a 2014 Anthem.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Go to the Entegra section here and read EVERYTHING. After that ask all the questions that come into your mind. You will get great answers from knowledgeable people. There appears to be one dealer that stands out; I am not ready to "bad mouth" the dealer we bought from but I have had better dealers.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.....
What do you typically spend on all these inspections? I just think that has to factor in when you're buying. For example, if I'm only spending X number of dollars should I pay for all the inspections? I know this is suggested but I've never seen anyone say, " It only cost me $600 dollars to get everything inspected and I only had to do that three times before I found my perfect coach."
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephesis View Post

We went thru the same thing. My best piece of advice is consider buying from a private party. It's more of a hassle because of the paperwork and financing but you will save thousands. We spent a year looking on RVT and went out and looked at plenty of dealers. What we found was a large disparity between Dealer pricing and private party. In the end, we found our 40' Class A DP from a private party. When we shook on the deal, thats when the fun started (pun). We went to several banks and most wanted to finance something 7 years old or newer (ours was 8 years old). The deal we made with the seller was "Market Price" but banks use a NADA book to determine price. NADA said our rig was $15k less than our deal and would only finance 80% of that number. This required us to come up with a bigger down payment to come up to the 20% down the bank required. It was a stretch but we did it. Here in Arizona, if you buy from a dealer, you pay sales tax but if you buy from a private party there are no sales tax. Anyway, the bank required an inspection (which is a good thing) and then they collected registration fee's (for AZ) and Insurance Premium (we had a quote already and the bank accepted the insurance company once additional coverages were added). It took about 3 weeks to complete the buying process but since we advised the seller we were financing it, they were patient throughout the process.
Our Motorhome that we bought was a 2008 Presidio 400 w/48k miles). The seller had ALL the maintenance records and the paint looked new. We are very happy with the purchase.
Best of luck with your future Motorhome purchase.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
The buying process

Unless you have a lot of experience with a Motorhome, I would either find a highly trained tech or someone who has a lot of experience with a MH and will go along with you to point things out. And take your time on the inspection!
Underneath, On top, Inside, System checks, Documentation, Suspension, there is a lot to check over. Test drive of course.

As for financing, there is at least one out there that will go over the 10 year mark and I do not remember who it was, I am thinking it was USAA, not sure. I called a ton of them and got their rates, terms and some of them had restrictions on what state you lived in and / or if you were FT or not.

There are dealerships that have special arrangements with certain lenders and will finance you ONLY through the dealership as they will not write loans to the general public right off the street. We got a really good deal on a RV loan this way with Ally but when I purchased the Motorhome, I called and they told me they only write through a dealership.

Probably a great advantage of purchasing through a dealership, especially if they have a good reputation. They will make sure you are well taken care of and want to keep you as a customer. Good luck!! James
Kro1957 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Don't buy a MH with Lippert Schwintec Slide Systems.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, purchase