Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unhappy How to Recharge Dead Coach Batteries

I have a 2013 Monaco Monarch I have had in storage a couple of months. I apparently must have forgotten to turn the Battery Disconnect switch to Off the last time I visited it a few weeks ago. Today I started up the engine OK, but all the interior lights, etc won't turn on and it appears the coach batteries are dead. Which means I also cannot turn on the Generator to recharge the batteries!

What can I do now to recharge them? If I turn on the engine and let it run for an hour or two, will the Alternator gradually recharge the coach batteries? Or do I have to call a mobile RV Tech out with a truck, and have them recharge the batteries?

Any other options?

thanks for your advise on this.

2013 Monaco Monarch
V-10 Triton gas
donschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #2

Anywhere within 100' to get electricity? Like household receptacle will do. Get a battery charger at Walmart......maybe $40 plus 100' extension cord (12 gauge wire) will b another $30.

Neighbor in storage with a generator?
Portable generator?

Charge you batteries for maybe 30 + minutes then with main engine running use Emergency STart (Booster) switch to start generator. When gen is running disco the external battery charger and put it away for next time.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Your MH should have a switch to connect both battery banks when your coach engine batteries are dead, so you may start the engine. That may also be used to start the genset. Some MH's have the chassis batteries wired up to start the genset, some have the house batteries wired for that. The exact procedure for YOUR coach should be in the owners manual, as well as switch location.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
If you have juice there - I would think you can plug in the coach and it will recharge itself within 24 hours. Most chargers are set up to charge all of the batteries.
'05 TS DPusher (Model - Travel Supreme - Original)
'09 Lincoln MKX - Demco bar
"Over 35 years later....still on our honeymoon" ....Different Motorhome.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Thumbs up Another option

I can't speak regarding your coach, but I do know that my Tiffin RED (2012) engine alternator will charge the house batteries. I actually had the same experience as you did today. I just started my engine, let it run for probably 10 or 15 minutes, and then started my Onan generator from my house batteries. I then shut down the engine and allowed the Onan to charge my house batteries.

I think I'm very close to having to replace my house batteries. They're not holding a charge. I'm currently using a small Coleman 6 watt solar panel to help maintain them....it's not doing too well. I do, however, suspect the condition of my house batts. It's probably time to shell out some bucks for some new ones...

Hope all your RV experiences are good ones...

Steve West
Fort Wayne, IN
airman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Hold the emergency start switch down with motor running for 10-20 minutes. Then with the emergence start switch still held down start the Gen. Check that the house batteries are being charged and charge f o r 3-4 hours, this should give you 80% charge. If not new house batteries maybe in order.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two ideas,

One use Emergency start (Aux Start, BOOST) switch, sometimes it works both ways, Start generator run six hours.

If that does not work you can try 1B: start engine, when isolator connects, start generator, let run six hours as above.

I have, on one occasion managed to kill both house and chassis, so the boost button did not help.

Used Jumper battery (I have jumper kit) and started generator by conecting jumper at the generator... Let run long enough to get a a reaosonable charge, Fired main engine, Went shopping, Moved to CG and plugged in, Got full charge.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
How cold is it where you are? If it below freezing dead batteries will freeze. Charging them could cause them to explode. So if you are in a cold place you will have to remove and thaw the batteries first. Even then they may be junk.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Yup, use emerg start after engine is started to feed house batteries and start generator. Been there, done that.
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
I have just jumpered from the chassis battery's to the house battery's in the past and got the generator started when the by pass switch did not work.
2004 Safari Sahara 40.5', 350 HP Cummins
2013 Subaru Forester manual toad
Beaver Ambassadors Club, Safari International Club, Monaco International
Innkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
Appalachian Campers
Innkeeper nailed it best. Our chassis batteries are right under (another shelf) the house batteries. It is a simple matter to connect a single jumper cable from the (+) positive on one set of batteries to the (+) positive on the other set. Both sets will have a common ground so no need use the second.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Yup, use emerg start after engine is started to feed house batteries and start generator. Been there, done that.

Thanks for the good advice. After running the engine for about 10, the Emergency Start button worked in getting the Generator started.

Thanks to all who responded. what a great community....

2013 Monaco Monarch
V-10 Triton gas
donschager is offline   Reply With Quote