Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

How to remove a Slide Glass Window

I have a shatter Sliding Side Glass window ,,,I have been trying to remove the glass to take it to a repair shop to get a new glass window intallled

How do I remove the broken side (see picture) ....without removing the window frame and the other glass...

Do I have to remove the whole window frame .....

My RV is a Four Winds Infinity ....37.5 ....2004

Would appreciate some comments, how to fix this problem without driving my motorhome out of my site ....Parked for the winter in South Texas (Donna)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Window Infinity 2004  (4).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	48639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Window Infinity 2004  (5).jpg
Views:	577
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	48640  

Name:	Broken Window Infinity 2004  (8).jpg
Views:	658
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	48641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Window Infinity 2004  (6).jpg
Views:	325
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	48642  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Just remove the whole frame. Very easy.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You need to remove all of the screws and you may need to use a putty knife to break the sealant loose. A little mineral spirits or paint thinner will help. You will need more sealant tape when you reinstall the window. Your local window shop that does this service for your local RV dealers will have what you need.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

As others have indicated, you will have to remove the entire window.

Remove all of the screws on the inside. Have someone outside capable of holding/removing the window just in case it is not stuck to the outside wall. Once inside trim ring is removed, try pushing from the inside. If it will not push out, then pry around the outside with a putty knife. I've seen some windows that use butyl caulk (will be stuck to outside wall) and some with rubber gasket (not stuck too bad).

You or the glass shop will have to remove screws holding the split frame together to get the broken part out and the new window into the frame.

Fred
Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
It may help if you check this out RV Fog Doctor - Offers the best Foggy Window Repair Warranty
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can remove the top and bottom filler strips the glass slides in. Just start working the strip out at one end, once you get it raised up you can pull the strip out by hand. Once the strip is out there is enough clearance to get the window out of the frame. If your local glass shop can't get the replacement glass and if your windows are made by Hehr you can call them to find your local distributer to buy parts. However, they will need the model and build information of the window. For that you will have to take the inner clamp ring off, the model number in on a paper tag affixed to the clamp ring.
Window Plants
My local distributer is Pelland Enterprises
RV Parts and Motorhome Parts Online Outlet - RV Windows

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I think Chuck has the better idea. When I did my window it was simply a light. With the felt out of the way the slide should come out. I was looking at how I would take my window apart if I had to. With the MCD shades and valance it would be a challenge to get the window ring out. I wonder if a mobile glass repair company could help you out?
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

After reading all the threads .....I removed all inside screws around the frame ,,,,then broken the outside seal with a knife....the windows frame was removed easily with the help of the friend.......
Once removed took the broken window out of the frame and took it to a local glass shop.......

thanks for all the comments and help see pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Removed window frame and glass.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	48767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Part number fow window.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	48768  

Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

I'm surprised a local glass shop could replace the window. When my street side front passenger slider window shattered on my 2000 Allegro I was told by virtually every glass shop in the Buffalo NY area that they could not cut safety glass. I landed up getting an entirely new window, frame and all from Tiffin and had the local dealer do the install. At $125 an hour labor and the cost of the brand new window the total was something like $540, which I didn't think was to bad.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If they are Atwood windows call 574-266-4829. Sue will have you take some measurements and ship you the glass. This is a real good deal if the windows are dual pane.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Voyageurs, you did a great job! Thanks for the pictures.

I don't understand why the glass shops around Buffalo could not get the glass for the window. A local glass shop south of Boston, MA, Middleboro area, did windows for the local RV dealers. My fogged window was the exception for them because of the way it was put together.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I'm surprised a local glass shop could replace the window. When my street side front passenger slider window shattered on my 2000 Allegro I was told by virtually every glass shop in the Buffalo NY area that they could not cut safety glass. I landed up getting an entirely new window, frame and all from Tiffin and had the local dealer do the install. At $125 an hour labor and the cost of the brand new window the total was something like $540, which I didn't think was to bad.
They are correct you cannot cut tempered glass. You cut regular glass pane of the correct thickness. Send it to a company that has the capabilities to temper glass and have it DOT certified. I do not know where they can do that around buffalo but they should be able to do it. RV fog doctor sends theirs to a company in Memphis Tennessee.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The simplest way to get the replacement is to contact the manufacturer of the window. If they are tinted you'll get the correct color from the manufacturer.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

Thank you Gemini. However after you go through that process, adding layers of profit for each step to get it tempered, my guess is that the $540 I paid was a good deal with install.

Tags
slide, window