Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

How to Safely Inflate Big Tires?

I have heard a few horror stories of people being injured while inflating their big tires (22.5+) due to blowout. Some were injured severely. What is the safest way to inflate these tires yourself?

I bought an inflator gun/gauge and added a 25’ hose on the discharge end with a locking stem chuck to put me away from the tire while inflating. Was this a waste of time and money?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #2

The only time I'v heard about tire failures, while filling, was if it was run flat or just installed on the wheel. It was usually the wheel hitting the tire guy.

Our tire guy attemped to mount a 16.5 tire on a 16" wheel. He came out unharmed but it was a loud boom. Its not just the big tires that go boom.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It used to be dangerous to inflate the old split ring rim tires. Those are no longer in use today. I have never heard of anyone being injured airing up their tires.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Cooperhawk is correct. The old split rim wheel could be very dangerous and they have killed people. The safest way to inflate them was in a cage. The new one piece wheels of today are very safe. I have never heard of one separating while being inflated. I just use a standard truck double ended end on the hose and check the pressure with a separate gauge.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

If you are adjusting air pressures, you should not have a problem close up. There are exceptions.

If you know you've hit debris in the road or stressed the tire, be cautious and take a look at the tire for damage. Don't forget to look at the sidewall.

Personally, I wouldn't be right next to these tires for an initial inflation or from very low pressure, split rim or not.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #6

One piece or split ring it can take much higher pressure to seat the bead in the wheel rim. That's when accidents can occur. Adding air to a tire already seated in the rim should not be an issue. You would have to add an enormous amount of pressure to blow the tire off the rim. Even a faulty tire is not likely to come off the rim. It may blow out the sidewall and scare the you know what out of you but it's not really dangerous.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Tire Cage rings a Bell here !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was a kid, I can remember seeing tire cages in tire shops that had their sides bowed out. Kinda like this one:
HUGE TIRE EXPLOSION: World’s Largest Single-Piece Tire Inflation Cage – Speed Society
Big Oil Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #9

No you didn't waste your money but the chances of a tire blowing up are slim.
But if your tire has been run low or it has hit a curb it could blow out from a zipper tear on the inside. Undetectable from the outside of the tire.
Couple years ago a man was killed when a zipper blew out. Just the force of the air not the tire or rim did him in.
Good luck

Pointrow
Old 09-24-2017, 05:34 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the true risk is low. I’ll probably use my remote access setup on the steers and the inside duals, but just chance it on the outers since it is way difficult to get the right angle for the locking chuck on those.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbac View Post
I have heard a few horror stories of people being injured while inflating their big tires (22.5+) due to blowout. Some were injured severely. What is the safest way to inflate these tires yourself?

I bought an inflator gun/gauge and added a 25’ hose on the discharge end with a locking stem chuck to put me away from the tire while inflating. Was this a waste of time and money?

Thanks!

That was an issue when tube type tires were in use. I know a tire guy it happened to. With today’s tubeless tires, I wouldn’t be concerned.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Commercial Member

We really have 3 different situations for 19.5 & 22.5 tires

1. Inflating a new tire. < Leave to professionals and hopefully they will use a cage.

2. Inflating a used tire ABSOLUTELY leave to someone with a cage

3. Adding 5 or 10 psi to a tire to "top it off" I would say it is OK to use a "clip-on" air chuck, Do not stand facing the wheel but stand at least 20' away to the side of the RV. Wheel should be bolted to the hub.
Note where this guy stands that even when using a cage

Split rims are very rare and I would always use a cage.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing wrong with risk mitigation just don't let potential hazards control your every action or you might end up never getting out of bed in the morning.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbac View Post

Thanks!
thx for posting your question, pbac - i’m new to a big coach / tires and was about to pose the same scenario / questions.

and thx to those who responded ... very helpful.

Tags
tires