Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

How to sell a MH

Have a friend (for 50+ years) who full timed for years and now at 88 yo health issues prevent them from continuing. They bought a new 2007 Navigator (Detroit engine) and it has only 67,000 miles on it. They haven't done much with it for a couple of years due to health issues. When he passes away (which may not be too long from now) I will probably be the one to sell this MH for her. He wants to sell it now but can't do too much.
I have had MHs in the past (70s and 80s) and presently drag a TT around but this Navigator is way beyond anything I have ever sold. I did drive it when it was new (<500 miles).
I need ideas of where to begin to plan the sale.
Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I suggest RVTrader.com.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

+1 for RV Trader.
Also, this web sites classified ads.
Craigslist (Its free)
E-Bay (not free)
You also might check to see if there is a web site for the Navigator and list it there if possible.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
+1 for RV Trader.
Also, this web sites classified ads.
Craigslist (Its free)
E-Bay (not free)
You also might check to see if there is a web site for the Navigator and list it there if possible.
CRAIGSLIST...

OK...perhaps my situation was unusual but I got more propositions with pictures from pretty girls in scant clothes looking for a "date" than lookers...BY FAR!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #5

Regarding craigslist...

NEVER list a phone number ever!

You see them spelled and other ways maybe to avoid spammers but the bad guys who rob folks can call too.

We always state to use email for contact and use the CL processing that hides yours.

Less likely to get bad guys that way.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Regarding craigslist...

NEVER list a phone number ever!...
That reminds me of this also...

Create a NEW EMAIL address through Gmail, Ymail or whatever to protect your personal email from spam. Us it for all of your advertising needs.

Also, if possible, create a Google Voice phone number. I had one and still use it on occasion for folks I don't know much about. I'm not sure getting a Google voice phone number is available now but I have mine.

Be prepared for most of your calls to be from brokers and low ballers. My ads got me now where but others have had good luck.

However, if your friend is looking for a good price and prepared the price the unit at the real market value instead of emotional value it can be a quick sell.

Don't rule out consignment.

The sellers's needs will be the biggest factor on price and terms. Depending on the location of the coach it might be good to hold on for a couple more months before getting too serious on any selling option. Good weather makes happier buyers maybe?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #7

Waiting for warmer weather may be a good option right now. Coach is in the Los Angeles area. Right now I think he's looking for a top dollar price. Need to find a way to figure out current ACTUAL selling prices. Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
CRAIGSLIST...

OK...perhaps my situation was unusual but I got more propositions with pictures from pretty girls in scant clothes looking for a "date" than lookers...BY FAR!

Actually, Craigslist seems to have changed for the better over the years. Like someone else said, do not list your phone number or e-mail address. You let Craigslist handle the e-mail to you and then can just reply through their e-mail back to the person that is inquiring about your ad. I've had no scammers or questionable inquiries at all. I have received inquires from some dealers that want to buy the coach for next to nothing, but you are always going to get those no matter where you list it.

Good luck in your sale.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #9

2007 DP with 67k on the odo is in the $100k range. A little more or less depending on general condition. The big problem is going to be getting him ( owner) to realize what market value is and not sentimental value he has. Good luck and consignment is not a bad choice. Let the dealer deal with the tire kickers.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
NADA: RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides would be a good starting point
Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #11

I'd be all for consignment just have to find an honest dealer.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

Price it right and it will sell
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Waiting for warmer weather may be a good option right now. Coach is in the Los Angeles area. Right now I think he's looking for a top dollar price. Need to find a way to figure out current ACTUAL selling prices. Any ideas?
I watch e-bay, and all the other place's that list RV's for sale.......and the ones listed with a high price....... It still is a used buyer's market as there are a ton of them for sale.......Just a ton of new one's sold over the last 5 years, in the last 3 years, new ones sold.....WOW. Seems everyday there are new ones on here.......and used ones for sale.
As mentioned, price it right and it will move, but he is going to be bummed out I think, when he knows what he paid for it in 07, and what he is going to sell it for Good luck!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

When I lived in San Diego, Craigslist was the "go to" source for selling or buying just about anything. However, since moving to a podunk town in Arizona, I've discovered that CL gets the word out but many people are hesitant to drive 60-100 miles to see inspect it. I've had people demand I drive it 100+ miles for them to see it and get huffy when I ask for a non-refundable deposit.

People want good (no-risk,) fast (convenient) and cheap. I tell them they can have any 2 but not all 3. If it's good & fast, it's not cheap. If it's good & cheap, it's not fast. If it's fast & cheap, it's not good.

Also, be wary of scum-sucking, bottom feeders who think you're desperate to sell. I tell them that for their price, I'll give it to my brother and hope he remembers me in his will. Good luck.

Lee
2006 WGO View 23J (For Sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W (love the space, hate 8mpg)
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote