Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Spend weekends parked across the street from RV dealerships with a big "For Sale" posted on your motorhome.

- AD USAF Security Forces/Combat Arms (3P071B) - 19+ years of serving our great country and counting.
- 2009 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Mini 4232
Kevin-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Buying one sure is easier than selling one!

I've been searching for an upgrade for a while now.

I've found lots of great deals from private party's, but cannot take advantage of them without first selling my coach.

Any ideas about what to do? Sure there's tons of them on dealers lots, but I would much prefer to help someone out by buying their coach. But what to do with mine?

[And what do you burn, apart from witches?] Cupie for the next line....
What do you have that you want to sell?

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
We just sold our RV today. Had it listed on about 5 sites for 3 months. Started out at low average retail NADA. sold at 8% below. Cost of ownership for 3 years = $220 per month. (Depreciation from purchase price to sale price) Amount of fun =PRICELESS. Buying a second motorhome from private party while trying to sell yours...BORDERLINE INSANITY. Scoring the perfect price, quality, and layout of this one..... AMAZING.
rhlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #18
I think I'll post my rig on rvtrader.com! Good idea!
Is it better to go standard add or upgrade?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #19
We tried the standard ad for 8 weeks and got very few contacts. We upgraded but also dropped the price a little and got lots of contacts. I'm not sure if it was the better exposure of the price drop that generated the interest. We didn't drop the price that much though so I would think that if those that saw it during the first listing were interested, we would have had calls.

Craigslist is free and we did get calls but we also got a lot irritating spam emails.
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
I like using craigslist for things locally but would never sell or buy anything I couldn't go see personally. Lots of scammers on there and I did post two motorhomes on there and constantly got calls from so-called guys serving in our military. Typical BS story how they would send a check over asking price, then ask me to pay their courier when they came to pick it up. Between that and lots of window shoppers that wud never show up for appt. Or offer me 50% of the asking price. Or ask if I was interested in trading my RV for their 12yr old Chrysler that had 150k miles on it. Craigslist can be frustrating. I still use it but prepared to hang up on most callers. IMO
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #21
Price is everything. Your motorhome is not worth what SOMEBODY is willing to pay for it...it is worth what MANY PEOPLE are willing to pay for it. Therefore you have to maximize your exposure. RVT.com seems to be about the best. Craigslist is for scammers.

I happen to have found mine thru a broker...Motor Home Finders LLC. The seller had unrealistic expectations considering the number of other similar coaches on the market. The broker brought the widow to her senses and accepted my reasonable cash offer. If I had dealt with the emotionally-involved seller directly, we would not have bought it.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
PLASMA - You are from Houston. How about PPL at Beltway 8 & the Southwest Freeway?

I have sold two RVs with them - both within a week of listing them. Just price the unit fairly, even though yours is the absolutely best one of its type available.

The ones that sit are the ones folks are trying to sell for close to what they paid for them.

They make the entire process easy - taking care of all paperwork and price negotiations.

I also bought my latest coach there.

Don Simmons
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like I wouldbe better off stripping some of the quality upgrades off. Like my Traveler Satelite, my falcon 2 tow bar, replace quality HDTv with Wally World Cheapo,s, take off xm radio, maybe the solar panels......all of which I could reinstall on my next rig
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Plasma, sold our previous MH in May of this year, took about 2 weeks all in. Here is what I learned. RVTrader is by far you best bang for you buck, and yes pay the extra $10 for the upgraded ad. RVT on the other hand is a complete waste of your money, never got 1 inquiry from RVT, but received 5 a day from RVTrader.

I looked up every rig that was like/similar to mine on RVTrader, saw what the going ASKING price was. I simply listed mine at $1000 more than the lowest priced like/similar rig. Price is king, so no point in listing yours for too much more than the lowest listing is for, otherwise your just wasting your time. I am sunch an anal person, I knew my MH was perfect in every way, and cleaner than any of the others listed, so I put that in my ad.

Like others who have mentioned it, I received calls and emails from people everywhere in the US, but rig ended up selling to a guy in same town, 20 miles away. Everyone is looking for a deal, and if your price is already one of the lowest, its actually easier to negotiate, your respone is simple, you say, "look im already the lowest price rig listed, I can work with you a bit, but there is not too much room left for me". Most people acknowledged this and were reasonable with their offers. Ended up selling for $2K less than we were asking.

Good luck!
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #25
Alpine Owners Club
I have sold numerous RVs over the years using eBay and most recently had excellent results advertising right here on the IRV2 classifieds. Give the IRV2 classifieds a try. It is free and you may be surprised how many of us who frequent the forums check the classifieds for what we want. The best advice I can offer is to post LOTS and LOTS of photos. If you can't post LOTS of photos in your ad, put the photos on a photo hosting website and put a link to that in your ad. And, price it at or below NADA low retail and be prepared to dicker. DISCLOSE ANY AND ALL FAULTS or DEFECTS your RV has in your ad. Be totally honest and up-front. Nobody likes surprises! Finally, make sure everything works as it is supposed to so a potential buyer won't be disappointed when they finally do get interested enough to inspect it. Best of luck with getting your unit sold. If you want some specific tips, please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to talk to you and share my successes and failures.
Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
How to sell your coach?

Have a friend who traded his revolution in on a tiffin bus (2006) with a big dealer ( didn't ask the detail$ ) but I know he took off his dish and several other options he'd added as the "big " dealer didn't care! the price he got was for the basic coach and anything left is just a selling point not a price factor .. So he was told.
Point is guess a similar year model is what it is and options are nice but not what most people think they are worth.
BTW he really liked his Rev but loves his new to him Bus .. Is constantly talking about the better quality cabinets , build etc.
2003 Beaver Marquis

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Extreme interest + price = Sale
The above formula works for anything that is for sale........
As the old saying goes....."There is a "Butt for every seat" , you just have to find the butt that fits the seat you are selling...........
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #28

Lol palehorse89, totally agree. That is the exact phrase I kept repeating to myself when I was going through the process is selling mine, and it's true !

jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote