Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How to test holding tank sensors

My One Place external holding tank sensors manufactured by Precision Circuits Inc. worked great for the first year. My black tank recently started showing 1/3 even when empty then 2/3 too soon and for quite some time before reading full. I flushed my black tank with dawn, then Thedfords eco black tank cleaner at 400%. Each time letting it set for 24 hours and driving before dumping and flushing. No luck! Must be a bad sensor. I removed the two screws holding the black tank flush connection to see the 3 sensors. I used a long screw driver to reach in an touch each one. I wet my hand and touched the metal part of the screw driver to ground out each sensor while looking at the display. Touching two of them would change the display and one would not. Ok I knew I had a bad or blocked sensor. At dusk dark I used a very bright led pen with 6 LEDs and held it up behind the black tank and it made it transparent even with water it it. The attached photo's explains it all. I cannot put ice in the tank and drive around. Thedford said that I would damage the electric toilet internally. I will follow up with the rest of the story. This is me trying to pay back to the forum. I am sure many know much more than me. Thanks Jesse

Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Pictures didn't seem to attach. Here they are hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3143573882.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	54388   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-890517340.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	54390  

Name:	image-139588511.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	54391   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-157527967.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	54395  

Name:	image-1807386737.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	54402  

Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Black tank sensors are a age old problem with more cures than the common cold. I've had good results with zep drain care. It's a enzyme based cleaner so there are no harsh chemicals just add a scoop to the tank after dumping. Its available at Home Depot or lowes one container lasts over a year (full timing) and costs less than ten dollars. No need to fill and dump just add and use as normal I use in black and grey sensors started working after first use and have worked since. Also reduced tank odors some but face it there's only so much anything can do for that.

Elf
Old 05-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

empty, add zap no water till ready to go out? Or fill and wait to go out at some point?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Add with a couple gallons of water if your not going to be using your coach for a while I would fill with water and let it work while it sets then dump before your next trip. It's not a corrosive cleaner so it won't harm sensors or seals.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #6

this post is right on time for me... don't mean to hijack this thread, my fresh water 1/4 is out, it never lights up. from E to 1/2, every time 1/4 is skipped. wondering if anything i can do to fix it...
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #7

Have you checked sensors on the side of the tank, you may have to remove a access panel to get to them make sure wires are connected.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Have you checked sensors on the side of the tank, you may have to remove a access panel to get to them make sure wires are connected.
not yet, i even didn't know where to look at it . i will give a try in next two days... thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure how ice in the tank is going to affect the thetford toilet. If I understood what you were saying. I have a thetford electric flush toilet and I have added ice to the tank several times before I got smart and fixed the problem. I tried all the fixes put ice and cleaner in the tank at the top of a 4000 foot tall mountain and then drove the switchbacks down to the bottom. Every fix will cure the problem for a very very short period. I was at a tiffin rally and saw a lot of the people there had a person that worked on tiffins installing SeelevelII
Garnet 709 Seelevel II Tank Monitoring System

There were a lot of people having them installed. The guy ran out of units and time so I could not get one installed at the rally. I watched him install one and it was so easy I just bought my own and installed it myself. My friend and I installed it in about an hour and a half. The guy at the rally did it in about 45 min. I have had my Seelevel II installed for over a year and a half and I use my coach a lot. I lived in it for 5 months last winter and the gauges are still readable. The gauges also give you a lot better idea of how full it is. The indicator seems to read in about 6 per cent increments instead of 1/3, 1/2 2/3. The boards are a digital signal so you just put the new boards on the outside of your tank. Wire them together and then I just used one of the wires from my old tank sensor to hook the new monitor into. I put the new monitor by the old one ( The professional cut out a space in the middle of the old monitor to put the new one in) Another bonus is you can add remote monitors. I have one in my web bay so when I am filling the water tank I can monitor it without having to go back in the coach. I can also see how much black tank or grey tank liquids there are left while I am dumping.