Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

How to watch movies in motorhome

What's the best and cheapest way to watch movies in Florida state parks?
We can suscribe to Netflix, but I need to buy a Roku, and have an internet connection. Is that the best and cheapest way to go?
We usually get movies from the library and play them on our dvd player, but you can only get 6, which isn't enough for a 3 week trip.
CoachmenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

I have apple TV, but when you stream movies or shows you use a lot of band width that will probably not be available via campground wifi. Cellular 4g wifi will work but you will have to choose a monthly plan that is expensive because of the file sizes. The cheapest option is to hit up family and friends to borrow movies and carry them in an old cd case vs. the bulky packaging you purchase them in. I travel with two children and probably carry 20-30 movies in the small cd travel cases.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We carry movies with us too.

If you don't want to buy / deal with DVDs, you could also get the 1st gen AppleTV and then when you buy then, they get downloaded onto the AppleTV and you don't need an internet connection to watch them. If you have a PVR at home, you can also just save movies on that and then just bring the box with you. Probably depends on the brand but some will work even if you don't have cable / DSS hookup (easy to test at home, just disconnect the input and see if it still works).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we have a terabyte network drive filled with movies. we could just take it with us and play it through a laptop, but we have not needed that many movies on a trip. yet...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We are using an Apple Mac Mini. I pull whatever movies I want from iTunes library over when we are getting loaded up at the house. We can also use it for music, and Internet as well.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #6

TV

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

Besides bringing them with you do you have a toad? If so you can drive into town and rent from a Redbox location. It's a buck and you can get a few and return them the next day. We buy ours from the markdown table at Blockbusters and look for them at Goodwill. We have a library and take a few each trip just in case of really bad weather.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Amazon Instant Video. My laptop has an HDMI port so I can rent or buy movies online and watch them on HDTV.

When renting from Amazon, the videos will be viewable for 30 days before they disappear from your hard drive.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
I have over 400 dvds on board, most of them classics. If we run into each other, I'll be happy to loan you a few.... Happy trails
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #10

I was going to suggest Redbox as well. We just pack a few from our collection at home. But then we aren't really into watching TV much while out camping.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I use Amazon Instant Video. My laptop has an HDMI port so I can rent or buy movies online and watch them on HDTV.

When renting from Amazon, the videos will be viewable for 30 days before they disappear from your hard drive.
Ummmm ... partially correct. They are AVAILABLE to be viewed for 30 days before the purchase expires. However, once they have been VIEWED, they are only available for the rental period, which is 24, 48 or 72 hours from time of first viewing, depending on rental.

Use 'em all the time. Excellent service.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

Redbox. Great thing is that if you are on the road, you can rent in one location and return in a different location.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a couple of vintage REPLAY TV DVR's. (There are several DVR's out there, the Replay like the TiVo it competed with records to a hard drive, Some record to DVD (I have one like that too)

With a digital converter as a "Front end" for the Replay I can record off This TV (A (Tier 2 network) or Antenna TV or MY TV or whomever is broadcasting a movie I like.

Then either of the Replays can play it back

Total cash spent (Beyond the initial purchase and activation of the replays) $0.00

Todal mega-bytes, or kilo-bytes, or for that matter bits, of internet traffic burned up... ZERO

Total mega bits tossed around the house (INTRA net, no charge for that since it is all over my house LAN and never goes out side the house) about 2 Gig for the average movie.

Don't bet cheaper than FREE.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #14

We have a Western Digital media player. It has a built in 1 terabyte hard drive, plus a 2 TB external hard drive attached. My wife copied every movie we have plus ones from others. Then we can play them back when ever we want. Also if we got good internet connection we can stream from netflix, hulu and others. Very simple.

Tags
motorhome