Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
How to wire 120 v for space heater

I have found from reading and replacing my inverter that I can not run an electric space on any out let I currently have in my MH, they all go through the inverter. So I plan to run a sub panel that I can plug into the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal to an outlet or two that I can plug into with a space heater from the sp. This will by pass my inverter and I think it should work. I was planning on using a 20 amp GFI breaker and 12/2 with ground to run to the the outlet from the sub panel. I was going to plug into the sub panel with a 12g with ground extension cord probably a 50'.
First question: Will this work?
Second question: That am I missing?

I know I could probably tap into the 50 amp cord but I don't feel comfortable doing that

pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, it will work, 10 awg for extension cord even better.

milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
I have never seen all AC outlets wired to the output of an inverter.

What is the output power rating for your inverter?

Is your inverter not bypassed when the gen or shore power is applied?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
14/2 for 15amps,12/2 for 20amps should work good I doubt the heater pulls more than 10amps.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Most space heaters are 1500 watt and that equals 12.5 amps.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Why not move some circuits in your main panel so they don't go through the inverter. BTW, we often run a small space heater on low on a circuit through the inverter.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I have never seen all AC outlets wired to the output of an inverter.

What is the output power rating for your inverter?

Is your inverter not bypassed when the gen or shore power is applied?
If you have a 2000W inverter, many times all the coach receptacles are wired through the inverter for convenience purposes.

Another option is to wire a new dedicated 20A receptacle using 12/2 wg wire directly to the 50A panel with a new dedicated circuit breaker. This will bypass the inverter panel distribution, and is a safer way to operate a space heater.

If you truly are connected to 50A shore power, you won't need a separate cord to the pedestal to fire the space heater.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where is your main breaker box? On my Intruder it was well located (I really like some of the things Damon did on this house, that's one of them) and it was easy to route 12ga Romex from a couple of locations to the main box, Save for the hole for the outlet box (A standard household box with a 15/20 amp type outlet in it) no holes needed to be drilled, it was a clear run (in one case only about 12" and in the other perhapsd six feet) from the outlet box to the breaker box. I made sure the breakers added were NOT inverter powered.

Otherwise, I brought in an aux cord as well (The advantage to this is obvious when you consider I"m on a 30 amp site just now) and use it exactly as you do,

12ga cord in my case the PLUG end of the cord is in the wet bay and I brought the wires in via the water path.. the outlet it feeds is next to one of the others I added. Since both cord and outlet are 20 amp rated, I am risking it and trusting the park's breaker.

I do believe in overkill, 14ga and 15 amp outlets would work fine but 12ga, works better.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Forgive me, but I'm confused here. Why can't you use the inverter breaker control house receptacles? I believe the inverter is bypassed except for the breakers when you are on shore power.Our coach receptacles are all wired through the Freedom 458 inverter breakers. We often run up to three quartz heaters on those receptacles without any problems. We set one for the bedroom only use 750 watts for that one, then two in the living area. You have to separate the heaters so they aren't all on the same breaker,

Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote