Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #71

While many here are talking about the cost and prohibitive government intrusion, what is not being addressed is the basic reasons they have to butt in. Safety and skills. I have been a CDL instructor and issued licenses for 27 years. I have flunked more than enough vehicles on the safety inspection and a lot of drivers have not faired as well on their skills. Most definitely if there are any more road blocks that keep someone from buying an RV, the industry will suffer but completely unregulated, more or less we will as well.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
No restrictions in driving an RV in most States and no meaningful initiatives to change that. Cheers.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
While many here are talking about the cost and prohibitive government intrusion, what is not being addressed is the basic reasons they have to butt in. Safety and skills. I have been a CDL instructor and issued licenses for 27 years. I have flunked more than enough vehicles on the safety inspection and a lot of drivers have not faired as well on their skills. Most definitely if there are any more road blocks that keep someone from buying an RV, the industry will suffer but completely unregulated, more or less we will as well.

WDK
Not to turn this thread into a political discussion (I think that may have already happened) but if additional government regulations and intervention could cure irresponsibility and ineptitude I'd be all for it. However, history and common sense clearly shows that to not be the case.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #74

As the saying goes - "only in America"

Anywhere else, you need pretty much the same license as a commercial driver - which means passing the same written and practical tests too.

Quote:
IF—federal/state legislators didn’t use this power to steel basic freedoms down the road.
Heaven forbid! But what about imposing a few basic responsibilities. No???
Old 11-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #75

Frankly I worry more about trailers and 5th wheels with too small of a vehicle towing them. Also the false sense of confidence some will feel then because they are driving something familiar.

It would be good if dealers had to give a brief course in driving/towing what they sell. Covering things like air brakes, sway, backing, tire ratings, etc.

Still all in all the person who plucks down what to them is a lot of money will often be a lot more careful than the person renting something like a moving box truck or camper.

I will also note it does not seem like there are a lot of accidents due to poor driving in rv's. Also I see a lot of poor driving by some with CDL's in semi's. Thus I am not sure any upgrade in license does anything.

Tom
Old 11-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #76

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psean View Post
No drivers test just written.

Interesting. Keep us informed if you go through the process.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPER238 View Post

As with most sensationalist rants, there's a small kernel of truth wrapped in overblown and oversimplified rhetoric.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

But I have no idea what the 60' and 60,000lb bit means...isn't it the same as the federal vehicle max (65' and 80,000lb).

Plus, I learned that the majority of states (possibly 30 vs. 20) have no rules...thought it was the other way around
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
Interesting. Keep us informed if you go through the process.

Paul
So I did finally take the non-commercial class A test which yields a Ga Class E licence. I found studying the air brake part of the test useful however the towing, tractor trailer ect. really had no value for motorhome drivers. The test was a bit tougher than I anticipated so if you do decide to take the test you might want to invest in one of the many test guides available.

There was a post a little over a year ago indicating that a Class C was sufficient for RV's however the link is broken. Here are the sections I believe are pertinent on whether a Class C or Class E is required.

Class C

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.

It does seem that as long as you only carry yourself or family you can drive any RV with a Class C in Georgia.

The following link exempts RV's over 26000 lbs from requiring a CDL but also seems to indicate that you do need a Class E to drive a motorhome over 26000 lbs.
https://dds.georgia.gov/non-commerical-drivers-license-class-e-or-f

Like I said in a earlier post, the folks at the DDS told me that as a driver of a
RV over 26000 lbs I would need a Class E. I decided that I would err on the side of caution and get the Class E, especially if the narrow interpretation of "solely family..." means just that.
psean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #81

When I read things like I have here, it's no wonder we have a massive government that waist money on an epic scale and gets almost nothing accomplished. What is most disturbing is even with that, many still want more government up their backside. I prefer to be left alone, that goes for my money, my time and my backside. There isn't a law or regulation in this world that will stop a careless, reckless, irresponsible person from doing something stupid. Anyone wanting more licensing laws is either brain dead or never had to handle something at a Commifornia DMV.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #82

American Coach Owners Club
Sandpsycho...correct 😊
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
If not being tested to be proficient at driving a heavy vehicle with air brakes is better than having Government up your hinny then why should they bother with CDL's for commercial drivers or drivers licencing at all.
When some moron that doesn't know what they are doing runs in to these people it will be a different story.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
psean,

Thanks for the follow up.

Just a written test and no road test?

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote