Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

How Wet do you get your Motorhome.

I have enough more than enough to maintain now.

Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Most vehicles that try to do more than one thing, seldom do either well. In the 60's I worked for a marina that sold Amphicars. They were slow on land and water, often leaked, and expensive. You probably could have bought a decent convertible AND a speedboat for the price of one Amphicar.

I believe this amphibian RV is similar. I also wonder how many boat ramps could handle the launching and recovery of a vehicle of this length? Seems to me the front wheels would be on the ramp long before the rear wheels would get traction at most ramps.

I also notice they always show it in calm water, how's it handle wakes from passing boats? Wind? Upon seeing such a thing, first reaction to something unique like this is, "Cool!" Then reality sets in.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Most vehicles that try to do more than one thing, seldom do either well. In the 60's I worked for a marina that sold Amphicars. They were slow on land and water, often leaked, and expensive. You probably could have bought a decent convertible AND a speedboat for the price of one Amphicar.

I believe this amphibian RV is similar. I also wonder how many boat ramps could handle the launching and recovery of a vehicle of this length? Seems to me the front wheels would be on the ramp long before the rear wheels would get traction at most ramps.

I also notice they always show it in calm water, how's it handle wakes from passing boats? Wind? Upon seeing such a thing, first reaction to something unique like this is, "Cool!" Then reality sets in.

The Terra Winds has been around since around '05. It was later modified & the basement compartments are dedication to housing outrigger pontoons. They tell you that it's meant for calm lake waters.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, just as I said, dual purpose vehicles have to compromise to function. The storage compartments are sacrificed to hold inflatable pontoons. Many times a perfectly calm lake is stirred up and made pretty uncomfortable by boat wakes. I'd like to see how that slab-sided RV handles waves from the side. The company makes many different kinds of vehicles, I wonder how many amphibian RV units they sell a year?

Bob & Donna
Old 04-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, just as I said, dual purpose vehicles have to compromise to function. The storage compartments are sacrificed to hold inflatable pontoons. Many times a perfectly calm lake is stirred up and made pretty uncomfortable by boat wakes. I how that slab-sided RV handles waves from the side. The company makes many different kinds of vehicles, I wonder how many amphibian RV units they sell a year?

I don't think they have ever sold one.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

Can you imagine trying to maneuver that in the wind?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:

When the Amphicar first appeared Tom McCahill said: "The Amphicar is a better car than a boat but it's not a very good car."
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
When the Amphicar first appeared Tom McCahill said: "The Amphicar is a better car than a boat but it's not a very good car."
They seem to of improved the technology and the price on the idea.

Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, they've come a long way since the Amphicar I used to drive in the '60s. A couple of things though, the Amphicar was around $3,000, the WaterCar starts at $155,000. The Amphicar was a production model, made for 5 years, over 3,000 cars sold. The WaterCar seems to be a custom, one at a time built vehicle.

In the videos they also so the WaterCar doing things that would surely bring fines. Speeding in crowded waterways, loading up with people without any signs of PFDs, etc.
The Ampicars I demonstrated all were equipped with legal maritime lights and a flagstaff, I see no signs of such on the WaterCar.

Bob & Donna

Tags
motorhome