Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
How would you decide?

Newmar Ventana 3724 vs. Fleetwood Discovery 39F. We like the floorplans with the two sink bathroom in the middle. I assume Fleetwood owners will say the Discovery and Newmar owners will say the Ventana. We have never owned an RV. So we have no built in biases....yet. I'm not sure how to make an objective decision here. It would seem to come down to quality/construction (not sure I'm able to tell a significant difference) and the ability to get good support/service (and is that more a byproduct of the vendor or the dealer?). So as a new shopper in this universe, what would you experienced folk say would be the way to decide.

ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both good coaches and manufactures. All else being equal, I would buy the Newmar. A step up in construction, quality, and customer service. IMHO.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
No experience with either manufacturer. Most will say the one they own. There will always be a few who do not get the stellar service or are unhappy with the service they get.

Newmar owners appear to be more enthusiastic than Fleetwood, at least on this forum.

Is there a difference in price? Is there a difference in the quality that you can see? Which colors are preferred? Are the engine and chassis the same?

Based on your gut instincts which appeals to the DW more?
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
If the coaches themselves are quite acceptable to you then focus on what choices are within your control....price and dealer. If the price doesn't provide you a strong differentiation then the dealer...dealer rep., service, your own human instincts. The dealer means a lot to me but some people seem rather indifferent or have had bad apples poison the barrell. I would not consider a dealer 1,000 miles away unless the price was well beyond anything I've ever seen.
2016 Pace Arrow LXE 38K
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, having had two Dutch Stars and now a Country Coach I'd have to say the Newmar just from the standpoint of the knowledge of the construction of the Dutch Stars.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
Both good units, like others I give the edge to Newmar.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Newmar upgraded their chassis construction last year but not sure which models it applies to. Go to their web site, they have a series of videos on their construction and will explain how they made a stiffer and stronger chassis.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar is a step above Fleetwood on quality. I just did both factory tours last week. QC is lacking very much at FW. Newmar does many QC checks during and after completion before they deliver any coach.
There is a difference in price for that level of quality. What are the difference in MSRPs? You do know you don't pay any where near MSRP correct? Is price an important factor?
FW has very good customer service from FW. The dealers on the other hand are not to be trusted to do any work correctly or timely. I have had months and numerours problems with Lazydays. I ended up going to the FW service center for all my warranty work and very happy with the crew in Decatur. I can not speak as to Newmar dealers.
FW has a number of service centers across the US. Newmar has one.
All that said, I am selling my FW and buying a Newmar.
'16 Bounder 35K - 5 Star Tune - Roadmaster RSSA
'16 Ford Focus - Blue Ox Avail towbar and baseplate - RViBrake2
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
A vote for Newmar.....better reputation......better quality.
2016 Minnie Winnie 25B
2014 Focus Titanium Hatchback toad
daisylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
There has to be a price difference.
If not FW is asking to much or Newmar to little.
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Still would like to know more details about each coach. Are they both new or used? What is the price difference?

Without the relevant information we are giving generalizations.

IMO based on posts to this forum and considering production numbers all manufacturers have about the same failure rate. This is a subjective opinion.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
Both are fine coaches for their place in the pecking order of model lineup. Not entry level, and not top dawg either!

Discovery owners are a loyal gang, and they have one of the most active owners groups around.

Same can be said for Newmar as a manufacturer, IMO, being happier as a group then all up Fleetwood (Minus American Coach, which treat separated then Fleetwood.).

OP - If buying new, I'd give the nod to Newmar. Even if it costs you more money. Ordering from the factory, and taking factory delivery, is a plus. When ordering, Newmar will work with you on reasonable modifications to the coach, to make it more customize to what the two of you want. And one other plus to the Newmar, I believe it includes Comfort Drive(?) - a nice feature.

If buying used, then it would be condition, condition, condition! And I'd take condition over rock bottom price.

All that being said. Even though we all quite often read about 'Buy your last coach first!'. It really is difficult to do, as it takes sometime in RV'ing - to determine what you really want! So, unless your positive that these two coaches are 'The one!' (And for sure, great if it they are.), you might want to consider looking at some used lower purchase point coaches. Go out and use them for a few years. And along the way, both you make notes about what you'd want to be different in your next coach. (You may find you want larger Grey/Black tanks. Or more power to to pull mountains. Or higher CCC capacity. Or more, or less, slides. You may want Jake Compression Brakes vs Exhaust. You may want side vs rear radiator. You may want a tag for added stability and again CCC. You may want.... Etc.)

Then go out and do your search again, and get a coach for the long haul.

Best of luck to you, have fun,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
IMO most people change units because they do not buy or become disillusioned with the floor plan. Some purchase the problematic unit and frustration may cause them to pass the problems on to the next buyer.

Lots of things to consider. Floor plan, electronics, amenities, features, color, conveniences will all factor into any decision. Worse is our standards and values will change as we age or mature in life.

IMO buy the floor plan that most closely meets your needs and wants. Go to a dealer (with lots of stock new and used if possible), ditch the salesman and spend the day sitting in the various units. Pretend you are house bound by inclement weather and then imagine how you would deal with the inconvenience.

Are you comfortable? Can you lay out a hobby, cook a meal, watch a game and a movie, have a nap without getting in each others way?

The closer you get to what you want the less likely you will be to replacing it. No matter what you buy or how you configure it the manufacturers will always be coming up with innovations or changes designed to entice you to buy another.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Old 09-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar has been mentioned and this link should give you some answers as to price and construction.
You mention floor plan which most will agree for both you and wife and any travelers you may have.
You will see pricing from the Bay Star's to a King Aire and all in between.
There are many happy used Newmar owners also.
If you see something you may like ask on the forum about it and get the answers.
Good luck in what ever you decide and enjoy your new adventure.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote