Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #29

I definitely agree with Craig R's recommendation to rent.

Personally I can't see where it would be economically feasible to buy a coach for just 2 months usage then sell it.

Either way new or used you'll most likely take a loss, however it's your call.

If you still insist on buying, I would definitely opt for a used coach, take out an extended service warranty to cover any electrical or mechanical failures.

Your monitary loss will probably be a bit less on a used coach vs. a new one.

Good luck with your decision and safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #30

Buy a nice 10 year old diesel pusher for about $45k. One that has been well maintained should make the trip with little to no problems. At the end, donate it to a worthy charity so they can sell it and benefit. Still cheaper than renting or buying a new unit.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just love reading all the reply's on this one. You get the forum police and you get the financial advisors.I would normally be in the financial manager category, but it's the OP's money and they can spend it any way they want.

To the OP's question. If it were me I would opt for a DP and probably no older than an 08 so you get the modern things like flat panel TV's, etc. I believe, if after your trip you decide to sell, you will have more buyers looking for a 5 to 6 yr old coach than something older. Much easier for a potential buyer to finance a newer used coach.

On the dependability question I think I would have the mechanical checked out before you head out (engine / chassis) If it checks out the chances of a problem would be very minimal. I would think the things that could potentially give you problems are the non-engine components. Things like water heater, furnace, oven, lights, etc. None of these things will leave you on the side of the road.

I would also put together a tool kit with the usual things plus fuses for 12 volt, duct tape, RV light bulbs that fit your coach.

If you decide to go then go and have a blast. Sometimes the things that go wrong can be the foundation for some great memories down the road.

Before you head out watch the movie RV, with Robin Williams. Everything that can go wrong, goes wrong and they end up having a great time.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Before you head out watch the movie RV, with Robin Williams. Everything that can go wrong, goes wrong and they end up having a great time.
They really need to do a sequel to that movie. I love RV movies.... ie about Schmidt.....
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
I just love reading all the reply's on this one. You get the forum police and you get the financial advisors.I would normally be in the financial manager category, but it's the OP's money and they can spend it any way they want.

To the OP's question. If it were me I would opt for a DP and probably no older than an 08 so you get the modern things like flat panel TV's, etc. I believe, if after your trip you decide to sell, you will have more buyers looking for a 5 to 6 yr old coach than something older. Much easier for a potential buyer to finance a newer used coach.

On the dependability question I think I would have the mechanical checked out before you head out (engine / chassis) If it checks out the chances of a problem would be very minimal. I would think the things that could potentially give you problems are the non-engine components. Things like water heater, furnace, oven, lights, etc. None of these things will leave you on the side of the road.

I would also put together a tool kit with the usual things plus fuses for 12 volt, duct tape, RV light bulbs that fit your coach.

If you decide to go then go and have a blast. Sometimes the things that go wrong can be the foundation for some great memories down the road.

This, right here...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #34
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, several posts have been removed for discussing each other rather than the topic here.

Please post according to iRV2's rules.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Folks, several posts have been removed for discussing each other rather than the topic here.

Please post according to iRV2's rules.

Folks...

As one that had a post deleted, I appreciate Route 66's work. I apologize to anyone that may have taken what I have said as a personal attack.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #36

A 40' DP is always better, new or used. The DP will ride great and the lack of noise is downright relaxing. You can buy a service and extended warrantee policy from just about any dealer, so you will be covered for anything on your trip, a small deductible is applicable. Enjoy your cross country trip, this is a great country.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
If you are only going to use the RV for 2 months then by all means rent a Class A Gas unit that is about 35' long which will fit nicely in all Campgrounds.

Can't understand why only 2 months if you already tried it and like it, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

We've been RVing since 1989 and really enjoy this great country of ours.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Speaking strictly as a Capitalist Dog:

The question of "gas or diesel" seems less significant to me in this instance than it might in a longer-term ownership situation. Since this is less a purchase than a short-term investment, I think the only basis for a decision is how best to maximize one's return.

If I were buying for resale, I'd evaluate that market very carefully, and buy something that would be most likely to resell quickly, and at or near the price I paid. A so-called "high-end" rig may not fit that bill as well as a mid-priced though perhaps more run-of-the-mill unit.

And:
When calculating costs/returns/resale potential, do factor in the likelihood that the present fifty cent (m/l) per gallon penalty paid by diesel fuel buyers is here to stay.
U.S. Gasoline and Diesel Retail Prices
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
if dh is worried about getting stranded on the the road, get a roaside assistance policy. that way they will find the right service in the area to get you off the highway safely. that takes the worry out for me. once off the road you have time to regroup your thoughts. if it is just a flat tire they will come change it for you. and yes you may have tire trouble even with brand new tires.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #40

I see a lot of people recommending renting versus buying with the assumption that it will be cheaper. The OP received a quote of $57,000 to rent hence the reason to look at buying. With a rental fee like that I would buy one as well.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree with the DP "pushers". We bought a new gasser and the issues we had in the first year kept the coach in the shop for about 4 weeks total, spread over the year. None of the issues were chassis-related, all house-related. That would put a big crimp on your proposed 2 month vacation.

Before you take delivery on a used DP, you should be able to check/get checked all the things that need checking on a used DP so it will last the two month trip without incident. Things like checking the roof to make sure it doesn't leak and is solid, having the engine and transmission oil analyzed, suspension checked, appliances and RV systems checked thoroughly,

Our Ford F53-based coach drives well after a bunch of handling fixes (some cheap, some not-so-cheap), where almost any DP will drive far better stock with no fixes...

As far as CG's are concerned, our 35' coach won't fit in some of the campsites we liked in places like the Blue Ridge Parkway that we used to fit in with our 26' class C, but I'd not like to spend 2 months in that with two big dogs and 3 people! IMHO the difference between 35' to 37' and 40' is not enough to worry about, campgrounds which won't fit the 40' in general won't fit the 37' as well.

As far as lack of warranty is concerned, you can price an extended warranty and budget that amount for repairs (IMHO chances of exceeding the price of the warranty in 2 months is slim). The biggest fear I would have is the diesel engine, but if these are taken care of they'll last far longer than any gas engine out there. Transmissions, suspension, steering are all fairly bulletproof, though there are issues with some brands air suspension (some 2008 and prior Monaco come to mind).

If we were in the same position, we'd buy a gently used late model DP (after researching a lot and getting a good idea what it will be worth when selling it) budget a lot for repairs and then be really happy when the vacation ends and we get more than we expected selling it and not having to repair it!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #42
Community Administrator

I removed a few " off topic " posts. Lets stay on topic or off the thread.

Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote