Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never an issue with sitting even for 6 months at a time with the oil bath hubs, even after almost 13 years with the last Dutch Star. One slow turn of the wheel would get oil to all the bearing surface since the oil flows pretty freely, unlike the grease packed ones.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Any shop that services trucks is capable of doing the front wheel bearing job on a motorhome, the only thing different is the body on the chassis. The possibility of a leaking inner seal and oil on the brake shoes is the only draw back to oil filled hubs but that happening is not the norm as most people on the RV forums can attest to. From my fleet maintenance experience, grease packed front wheel bearings were touched only when brake work was required and that was at extended mileage intervals for over the road equipment which would pretty well equate with many RV's and their highway driving. I don't know of any RVers who mimic the stop and go of a city delivery truck.

An option to consider is packing the bearings with a semi-fluid grease like Mobil SHC-007 which gives you the approximate benefits of an oil bath hub with the increased assurance of no leaking onto the brake shoes.

Your quoted price of $740 per hub is way out of sight, I'd label that Highway Robbery.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #17

There is no issue with oil filled front hubs and infrequent use.

It`s the same oil that is used in the rear wheel and differential bearings.

On grease packed bearings, I would not convert, unless it was apart for other reasons, like brake service, submerging or scheduled maintenance.

There are millions of trucks, busses and MHs ( think class C ) with grease packed bearings, and no problems.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Any shop that services trucks is capable of doing the front wheel bearing job on a motorhome, the only thing different is the body on the chassis. The possibility of a leaking inner seal and oil on the brake shoes is the only draw back to oil filled hubs but that happening is not the norm as most people on the RV forums can attest to. From my fleet maintenance experience, grease packed front wheel bearings were touched only when brake work was required and that was at extended mileage intervals for over the road equipment which would pretty well equate with many RV's and their highway driving. I don't know of any RVers who mimic the stop and go of a city delivery truck.

An option to consider is packing the bearings with a semi-fluid grease like Mobil SHC-007 which gives you the approximate benefits of an oil bath hub with the increased assurance of no leaking onto the brake shoes.

Your quoted price of $740 per hub is way out of sight, I'd label that Highway Robbery.
I have semi liquid in my front hubs. It takes a different cover with a fill hole. They are used on trailer hubs which my set for extended periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are millions of trucks, busses and MHs ( think class C ) with grease packed bearings, and no problems.
Exactly. There service interval for milage is like 120,000 miles on greased hubs. Don't get me wrong, grease does wear out with time. That said, I had mine changed over two years ago and the bearings and grease were pristine. Based on the maintenance status of other items they were likely 12 YO at the time. With no clear mechanical advantage to one or the other it boils down to how much you like to fiddle with things. Not dinging another mans choice.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Thanks again for all of your information. Mike I did not know about the issue with sitting. I do stay at times for a month or two at a time. If this is an issue maybe keeping the grease packed bearing could be the best bet.

Stuart
A month or two sitting idle is not really a long time span and I wouldn't worry about that.

Mike.
zmotorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #20

Sitting for 6 months, e.g. winter storage should not be an issue.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Never an issue with sitting even for 6 months at a time with the oil bath hubs, even after almost 13 years with the last Dutch Star. One slow turn of the wheel would get oil to all the bearing surface since the oil flows pretty freely, unlike the grease packed ones.
Mr_D

My coach, (as built by SMC/Magnum), has oil bath front hubs/bearings.
AND my rear wheel bearings, (aka:drive wheel bearings)" are, (like the rear wheel bearings on all large motor vehicles), lubricated by the differential oil, (NOT greased).
Which means both my front and rear wheel bearings are "oil bath bearings".

My coach sits for as long as 7 months at a time, (and has nearly every year for 19 years).
I have had no wheel bearing problems in 138 k miles.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
$750 per hub! OMG, run as fast as you can AWAY from that place!

You should be able to find a reputable shop that will get the job done for $400 or less.

I had all new bearings installed when my hubs were switched over to oil and my total bill was about $600.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #23

Thanks for all of the info on hubs and wheel bearings. Although no problems, I was going to get my front wheel bearings repacked at around 26,000 miles , but I think I will just keep the money in my jeans.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Not saying that people should follow what I did but my front hubs were never touched until about 75,000 miles when I had them switched from grease to oil hubs.

I had them install new bearings but they didn't need it. I wanted to start with all new bearings after switching to oil.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #25
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just repacked mine myself with the help of the new toy. That torque multiplier is an amazing tool .

The most difficult part is handling that heavy tire by myself. I walked it off and rolled it over to a tree.

It was nice to see my brakes and the ABS sensors up close and inside. While the hub was off the pressure washer got to places not available before.

The hubs are interesting in that they appear to have space for lots of extra grease. That is to say I think that centrifugal force keeps the bearings packed. Mine were full and there was plenty of grease in them. I cleaned them spotless and packed them full again.

I have 40K miles on my 08 Endeavor. Those bearings could have gone for 100K miles easily.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I just repacked mine myself with the help of the new toy. That torque multiplier is an amazing tool .

The most difficult part is handling that heavy tire by myself. I walked it off and rolled it over to a tree.

It was nice to see my brakes and the ABS sensors up close and inside. While the hub was off the pressure washer got to places not available before.

The hubs are interesting in that they appear to have space for lots of extra grease. That is to say I think that centrifugal force keeps the bearings packed. Mine were full and there was plenty of grease in them. I cleaned them spotless and packed them full again.

I have 40K miles on my 08 Endeavor. Those bearings could have gone for 100K miles easily.
Purchased a Torque Multiplier myself a number of years back. Yes indeed a cool tool BUT why didn't you purchase a tire dolly? I liked that even better than the torque multiplier!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...234442161.html

So easy to dismount/mount one of those monsters!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #27

Years ago I had a Monaco that had greased wheel bearings. I developed a leak and when I took it in, he mechanic asked if I wanted to convert to oil bearings. He said the only difference was the seals, and he always used oil bearing seals since they worked with either type of bearing. Since I had to replace leaking seal, I just had him replace the other seal and convert to oil. Never regretted. The next 3 motorhomes we have had all have oil bearings in the front, and never have caused us any problem.

As a side note, on our last motorhome, it did not have a removable center piece for checking the bearings. When I purchased a cover with the removable center, the guy from Spartan said "you must be an engineer". It seems that engineers like to have the bearing open so they can check them on a regular basis, and in general non-engineers would rather have the good lucks of the closed cover. I thought that was interesting, since I did used to be an engineer!!

Ed Headingtgon
Old 12-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hello everyone,

It is time for me to have my hubs serviced, see rig in signature. I would like to get some information on what is the preferred way to go. I have heard from a truck shop that grease packed hubs need to be serviced once every 30,000 to 35,000 miles and oil bath only needs to be watched and filled if they get low on oil.

The price is not too much different for having the hubs repacked with grease compared to switching over to oil bath.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Stuart
Iam extremely surprized a High dollar rig like yours was not oil bath from the get go?
seems odd to me;; however oil bath is a tried and proven method and the only way to go for sure