Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hubs-Grease packed vs. oil bath

Hello everyone,

It is time for me to have my hubs serviced, see rig in signature. I would like to get some information on what is the preferred way to go. I have heard from a truck shop that grease packed hubs need to be serviced once every 30,000 to 35,000 miles and oil bath only needs to be watched and filled if they get low on oil.

The price is not too much different for having the hubs repacked with grease compared to switching over to oil bath.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have only had the oil bath ones in our DP's, easy to check and not much, if any, maintenance other than draining and replacing the oil which is easy to do. I wouldn't have anything but oil bath now.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Changed ours to oil.
Cost wise it wasn't much different and far easier to maintain.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach had the grease hubs, when we first bought it I had a complete service done including the hubs. Every year afterwards I would pull the end caps and look for any problems and would inject some grease around the hub using a long horse syringe to get the grease back into the bearing. I did this for 4 years and then decided it was time for a service but I did go ahead an get oil bath.

My wife had the rig down in Orlando so I had her take it to Josam's for the work, I believe it cost ~$400 which is about the same as a repack. Now I just have to pop off the halfmoon hub and look at the oil level.

So far so good, no problems and am satisfied I made the right decision.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #5

Installed wet hubs on my 93 PADP. Have them on our new to us rig.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have switched our previous Beaver and our current Dynasty from grease over to oil bath. I prefer the oil bath hubs.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
We had our grease packed hubs checked for the first time at 70,000 miles and were told they were fine and should go well over 100,000 miles before a service being needed.

Now at 96,000 miles with no apparent problems.

When I have them done, will change to oil hubs just for the ability to inspect and maintain them myself.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone,

Sounds like the oil bath conversion is the way to go. A Freightliner dealer in Phoenix stated a price of $740 per hub. I am heading to Austin TX and will look into getting it done there. The $740 price seems high, what are your thoughts on the price?

Thanks, Stuart
Old 03-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our '91 Beaver came with oil filled hubs. Put 154,000 on it and had seals replaced at 100,000. Never any trouble. Bought our present Monaco which had grease filled hubs. Changed them to oil filled at 74,000. Now have 95,000 on coach and think the change was worth it.

Cost of change over was $485 , in 2013. Had it done at Marv & Tom's truck repair in Elkhart. Good place to go. They will work on RV's.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hello everyone,

It is time for me to have my hubs serviced, see rig in signature. I would like to get some information on what is the preferred way to go. I have heard from a truck shop that grease packed hubs need to be serviced once every 30,000 to 35,000 miles and oil bath only needs to be watched and filled if they get low on oil.

The price is not too much different for having the hubs repacked with grease compared to switching over to oil bath.

Stuart
Providing more information other than my previous post about what I had, I will say this;

If you use your coach infrequently with long periods of non-use between the greased hubs will possibly provide a better protection for the bearings.

If you use your coach more frequently with little rest between trips then the oil bath does provide better cooling and lubrication as it "flows" oil more readily through the bearing while in motion, although it will be negligible.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks everyone,

Sounds like the oil bath conversion is the way to go. A Freightliner dealer in Phoenix stated a price of $740 per hub. I am heading to Austin TX and will look into getting it done there. The $740 price seems high, what are your thoughts on the price?

Thanks, Stuart
That seems a bit high.
I can look it up but remember it being about $250 a wheel.
John
Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Stuart
Stuart
Since there is little difference in price I would have them converted to oil bath...(oil bath hub maintenance is a simple DIY job).
Mel
'96 Safari, 138k miles, with oil bath hubs
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
That seems a bit high.
I can look it up but remember it being about $250 a wheel.
John
DIY
Pull bearings & clean the whole shootin match.
2 caps, 2 gaskets 2 wheel seals and lube 2 hr job "IF" you have the proper tools like Scott (Fireup) & myself! That tire dolloy & torqe mult. was one of the best purchases of the year for me!

When I purchased the Discovery the right front seal had gone and the brake shoes (air/drum) where saturated! Possibly by sitting for an extended period of time as Mike (zmotorsports) states in a prior post.

I had to drive the rig from TX to NH. I asked the detailer to pressure wash and drove it bacjk ro NH checking the oil level at each stop. I ended up replacing the front axle shoes/seals at approx 160 in parts from Freightliner.

Must tell ya, those brake shoes looked like they where dipped in oil!!! Amazed me that I never had a pull to the right side on that trip! Must have been the ABS in action.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again for all of your information. Mike I did not know about the issue with sitting. I do stay at times for a month or two at a time. If this is an issue maybe keeping the grease packed bearing could be the best bet.

As for price I have called 3 Freightliner shops covering AZ and TX. The prices were all quoted as 4 to 5 hours for both hubs at $139 per hour to do the grease repacking, ouch. To convert to oil it will take another hour or so. It seems they are quoting from a time estimate table or something similar.

I was recommended to call Iron Horse RV in San Antonio, TX. I will call tomorrow and see what they say.

The Freigtliner shop in Austin did not want to work on the coach but one in Tuscon and one in San Antonio would.

Stuart