Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hung wall vs. Vacubond wall

When thinking about purchasing a new coach, I am not able to come to a common sense decision as to which method of wall construction is better as far as quality of construction and which one will hold up better over time. I guess a good way to compare the two types is by comparing two brands of coachs. Newmar builds a hung wall very much similar to the way one would build a wall in a residential house with wood studs while Entegra builds a vacubonded wall that is an aluminum frame with insulation, glued and sandwiched together using a vacuum bag or table. Besides having to decide which is better and will hold up longer, there is what I believe to be a cosmetic difference on the outside of the coach. When building a hung wall, I believe they use a thicker fiberglass outer layer that doesnt show ripples and deformities as much as a vacubonded wall does thereby giving a much smoother wall and better looking paint. If you were able to choose either wall structure regardless of coach, which would you choose? Again just wall design not coach builder.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually the hung wall will show more ripples. Having had two Dutch Stars with hung wall construction and now CC with a vacuum bonded wall I guess I'd have to say: I'm not sure!
I think it comes down to how well they fit the insulation and get the openings sealed. Our CC shows some of the steel ribs and stringers, just like our Dutch Stars did. Both are insulated to about the same R values too. The one thing we notice is that the fiberglass roof in the Magna lets more rain sound through than the BriteTek roof on the DSDP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The only wood in the Newmar construction is in the floor. The wall studs are aluminum, just like Entegra.

Builders of both types will be able to list advantages. I like Newmar's ability to run wires through the exterior walls, just as in a home. Outlets in our current coach, and in most RVs, are installed in/on cabinets, many times sticking out an inch or two from the mounting surface. I don't know how or where Entegra mounts its outlets. Watching Newmar's informational videos they also claim the hung wall offers greater flexibility, fewer cracks. A sales rep trying to sell us on a Tiffin bus was pounding on the exterior walls demonstrating how rigid the Tiffin was. One thing very important to me was no wood/Masonite paneling used in the exterior wall. That's a certain delamination waiting to happen, at sometime over the life cycle of the RV.

In a perfect world I'd like to see the stud wall and once wired sprayed insulation. Now that would be tight.

Bottom line, there are a lot of nice Newmar, Tiffin and Entegra coaches on the road with many years and miles on them (although Entegra doesn't have the long history of the others). Searching past threads for any potential problems you're concerned about may lead you to one brand over another. In the end, there's no perfect RV, and if there was, few of us would be able to afford it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im just worried about delamination and structural integrity. I love the newmars but seem to remember hearing about delam. Do any of the three you mentioned use luan or plywood in their walls sandwiched in somewhere?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

I looked at newmar next to sportscoach, winny, and fleet wood discovery and looking down the side, the newmar looked much smoother. Could not see any of the studs in the wall...I could see them (sun was hitting all of them at an angle just right) on all the others. Granted these weren't entegra or tiffin quality coaches, but the difference to me was striking
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Im just worried about delamination and structural integrity. I love the newmars but seem to remember hearing about delam. Do any of the three you mentioned use luan or plywood in their walls sandwiched in somewhere?
Newmar doesn't and they're not laminated so they can't delaminate. That's the beauty of hung wall.

Our CC used steel frame construction, foam insulation cut to fit the wall openings and then the outside is vacuum bonded. Very heavy and solid but could still delaminate I'm told.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
As Mr D says, the Newmars are not laminated in the first place, so delamination is a non issue. You can find links to construction videos on the Newmar web site that show them gluing the outer skin to the otherwise completed wall.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If the skin is glued on (and it is), it can delaminate. That's all delamination is, adhesive that no longer holds the skin to the structure. If water gets in, it is probably going to come apart. If not, no worries.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Bottom line, there are a lot of nice Newmar, Tiffin and Entegra coaches on the road with many years and miles on them (although Entegra doesn't have the long history of the others).
Actually, Entegra bought the assets of Travel Supreme, who began making Fifth Wheels in the 90's and Class A's in 2001. They've been building them the same way for over 15 years. Travel Supreme was founded by ex-Newmar employees, and they basically copied the procedure that Newmar used. I have been through tours at both factories and I doubt that there is much difference in the wall construction of these two brands.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

i don't know where the op got his information, but it is not correct as far as ENTEGRA is concerned. They do not have vaccubond walls. Their walls are all hung walls which allows the access to the wall after installation to run wiring, insulate, and probably most important to run carriage bolts through bottom of wall, through floor and into frame of Mh. Makes a much stronger construction than running screws up from the bottom which is your only choice if you have a vaccubond wall. The hung walls do not delaminate. I suppose they could come unglued from the aluminum studs, but I've never heard of that happening.
By the way having a hung wall allows ENTEGRA to place wall studs 16 inches on center same as a house.
People need to get their facts straight before they start putting out erroneous info.
Yes, the fiberglass ENTEGRA uses is much heavier than in a bonded wall.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The only wood in the Newmar construction is in the floor. The wall studs are aluminum, just like Entegra...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Newmar doesn't and they're not laminated so they can't delaminate...
Please notice...there IS wood and lamination used in the Newmar's exterior walls.

The finished fiberglass exterior on all (at least current) Newmar lines is glued to a 3/16 plywood...been that way since we have looked/shopped...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DutchStar_Cutaway_Lightbox.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	121248

See their product drawing here.
http://www.newmarcorp.com/motor-coac...pecifications/
And
Dutch Star motor coach specs | Newmar
And other model lines...Click on the drawing to enlarge.

IMHO, this makes the exterior walls of a bonded or hung wall virtually equal for delam. risk.
Therefore our focus was insulation. Batten will sag over time, closed cell foam will not.
Plus, if the insulation is bonded to the exterior wall as well as the interior surfaces, all the better.

The Brand X vs. Brand Y argument...leave us out of that.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Newmar insulation

And Newmar uses fiberglass batten insulation (pink stuff) in a 2.3 inch thick wall, floor and ceilings.
The thermopane windows have a higher R factor. I prefer closed cell foam in my 2 inch thick walls. Jus sayn
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
As Mr D says, the Newmars are not laminated in the first place, so delamination is a non issue. You can find links to construction videos on the Newmar web site that show them gluing the outer skin to the otherwise completed wall.

WRONG, seen too many to buy that.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
The delam problem came about when the EPA mandated the RV adhesive be water based, unlike the aircraft industry.