Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Hurricane 12 volt system only works on shore power.

PROBLEM SOLVED
I am posting this in the hopes that it will Help and save someone else a lot of trouble. No where in the owners manual was this documented. I stumbled on it while doing a search on google. It appears that this is problem is in most if not all hurricane models and years.

My four winds hurricane 31D class A 12 volt system for the coach was only working on Shore power or generator. When not on shore power or generator I had no lights or 12 volts anywhere in the coach. The batteries had been disconnected a few days before to do some work. No wiring diagrams or schematics so I spent 3 hours tracing wires. I had no battery power to the Converter in the distribution panel. I thought that maybe it was the coach disconnect by the door. It appeared to be working. Before crawling under the motor home to look for broken wire I stumbled upon the Item below. That was the problem. when ever the coach batteries are disconnected from the battery cables this little breaker will trip. Mine was located on the right looking into the BCC. It is hard to see untill I noticed a black button about the size of a pin head. I pushed it and heard a click. Everything went to work.
Mel

Quote:
I have received the following email from Thor manufacturing, I thought I would post this in case any other fellow Four Winds owner may have the same situation, Again I thank everyone for there help.........IN THE BATTERY CONTROL CENTER LOCATED ON THE FIRE WALL ---UNDER THE HOOD --SHOULD BE RIGHT OF CENTER AND WILL SAY BATTERY CONTROL ON THE FACE --TAKE OFF THE LID YOU WILL SEE FUSES ---YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RESETTABLE BREAKER USUALLY ON THE BOTTOM LEFT ---THIS BREAKER IS ABOUT 1.25 X.75X.75 INCHES IN LENGTH ON ONE END WILL BE A SMALL BUTTON (ABOUT THE SIZE OF A MATCH HEAD ) THIS NEEDS TO BE PUSHED IN TO RESET ---THIS WILL ALWAYS TRIP WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR BATTERIES ---USE YOUR FLASHLIGHT AND I PROMISE YOU THAT IT IS THERE ---MANY PEOPLE SWEAR THAT IT IS NOT IN THEIR CONTROL CENTER ---BUT IT IS --JUST A BIT HARD TO FIND ....This breaker is actually oblong (the sizes stated are correct), silver in color and has a small brown button on the right hand side of it and it is on the lower right hand side of the panel. Probably will need a flashlight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED
I am posting this in the hopes that it will Help and save someone else a lot of trouble. No where in the owners manual was this documented. I stumbled on it while doing a search on google. It appears that this is problem is in most if not all hurricane models and years.

My four winds hurricane 31D class A 12 volt system for the coach was only working on Shore power or generator. When not on shore power or generator I had no lights or 12 volts anywhere in the coach. The batteries had been disconnected a few days before to do some work. No wiring diagrams or schematics so I spent 3 hours tracing wires. I had no battery power to the Converter in the distribution panel. I thought that maybe it was the coach disconnect by the door. It appeared to be working. Before crawling under the motor home to look for broken wire I stumbled upon the Item below. That was the problem. when ever the coach batteries are disconnected from the battery cables this little breaker will trip. Mine was located on the right looking into the BCC. It is hard to see untill I noticed a black button about the size of a pin head. I pushed it and heard a click. Everything went to work.
Mel

Quote:
I have received the following email from Thor manufacturing, I thought I would post this in case any other fellow Four Winds owner may have the same situation, Again I thank everyone for there help.........IN THE BATTERY CONTROL CENTER LOCATED ON THE FIRE WALL ---UNDER THE HOOD --SHOULD BE RIGHT OF CENTER AND WILL SAY BATTERY CONTROL ON THE FACE --TAKE OFF THE LID YOU WILL SEE FUSES ---YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RESETTABLE BREAKER USUALLY ON THE BOTTOM LEFT ---THIS BREAKER IS ABOUT 1.25 X.75X.75 INCHES IN LENGTH ON ONE END WILL BE A SMALL BUTTON (ABOUT THE SIZE OF A MATCH HEAD ) THIS NEEDS TO BE PUSHED IN TO RESET ---THIS WILL ALWAYS TRIP WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR BATTERIES ---USE YOUR FLASHLIGHT AND I PROMISE YOU THAT IT IS THERE ---MANY PEOPLE SWEAR THAT IT IS NOT IN THEIR CONTROL CENTER ---BUT IT IS --JUST A BIT HARD TO FIND ....This breaker is actually oblong (the sizes stated are correct), silver in color and has a small brown button on the right hand side of it and it is on the lower right hand side of the panel. Probably will need a flashlight.
Sounds like a mod in the making to me and have done many in my time.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great information

We just purchased a 2011 Hurricane. i appreciate these posts because it would certainly happen sometime.
LincolnLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always like to see it when someone has fixed their problem and how they did it. Lots of people learn from what others post. You may not need the info immediately but you never know!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Again, thank you

6th week in with our 2011 Hurricane and this happened. The good news is that I had seen this. There was a slight twist that the simple reset did not work for me the first time. I am not sure what the sequence was that created the failure, but I had to disconnect the battery and reconnect before it would reset.

Regardless, this post helped a ton.

Much thanks!
LincolnLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All of the Hurricane owners need to read this post and make sure your BCC Recall was performed. Also download the BCC shematic for future reference.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ll-169291.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV custom products(1).pdf (418.3 KB, 48 views)
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, hurricane, power, shore power