RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Hurricane hydronic heater replacement; 33k BTU unit not enough?

Our Hurricane hydronic heater (model CO45XL, generously rated at 48k BTUs) needs to be replaced. The manufacturer, ITR, has the RV-oriented Oasis model lineup now, and they're recommending the Oasis Zephyr model because it will easily fit into the existing compartment. Other Oasis models are larger and probably couldn't be made to fit because of the compartment layout. I've checked into Rixen's Espar-based system and am not thrilled with the price and available service network.

My concern is the Oasis Zephyr only provides 33k "true ouput" BTUs of heat when running on diesel (with another 5k BTUs added when able to use the single electric element) and I wonder if that will be enough in a 36 foot coach. We shower quickly, so sufficient hot water probably wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure about getting enough heat through the hydronic system to heat our coach during cold winter nights. I would appreciate any input you may have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #2

Dave, I have a 2003 Allure 40 Tag axel with CO45XL Hurricane that is acting up. What did you choose to do? This unit has acted up several time over the last few years (before I got it) and wondering if it's worth the trouble or expense.

curlyku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

After talking further with ITR we decided to go ahead with the Oasis Zephyr. ITR explained how the original BTU ratings for the CO45XL were more theoretical and the ratings for the Zephyr are actually the true output. They pointed out the CO45XL and the Zephyr have the same size burners and produce the same output on the diesel side. The difference is on the electric side, in that the Zephyr has only one 1,500 watt element.

The Zephyr has improved inner workings and a larger storage tank but has essentially the same control board as the CO45XL and can use the same remote panel controls and cabling. And, the Zephyr will easily fit in our existing compartment, which has limited height.

We liked using the two electric elements on the CO45XL, but many folks do fine on just one element (the '04 model year HydroHots have only one element) and so we decided we can live with that limitation. Our electric elements on the CO45XL recently shorted out -- that and some leaking are what drove us to this situation -- and we've been doing fine using only the diesel side.

We'll see how it goes. Since we're in Washington state for a few weeks we're having ITR do the install on 8/1.

Tags
ace, heat, heater, hurricane, replace, replacement