Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
HUZZAH!!! She Lives!!

So, after feeling just a little over my head on generators, and the numerous electrical glitches on the GB, DW & I decided to let the dealer take a look at it. (I'm good at mechanical stuff, but I can also recognize when things are not in my area of expertise)

We dropped it off last week, with the agreement that they would be looking at it, starting that monday. I am a big proponent in taking your time and fixing things completely and properly, rather than the "just make it work" attitude. I told them we were anxious to get out and start using it, but given the electrical issues and the generator not starting, I knew it wasn't safe to drive long distances. I said, "Take your time, keep me posted and let me know what needs to happen and we'll take it one step at a time."

Monday afternoon came and DW got a call from our service advisor, Troy. He said he dispatched the coach to his most seasoned tech, Greg. In less than 1 hour, Greg had the generator running.... roughly. Greg recommended that oil changes on both the genny and the coach engine were l-o-n-g overdue, and we agreed to have a complete service on both to bring up to snuff. The electrical issues had not been tackled at that point, but I was thinking... one concern, per day, seems pretty reasonable....

Before I left for work Tuesday morning, I stopped by the service department to check in with Troy and Greg and discussed options about chasing down electrical issues and how much time would be invested in diagnostic, before the search would be called off and a more direct repair approach would be taken... to rewire the tail of the coach.

In the service bay, Greg was performing the oil change on the genny, and was elbow deep in your typical "engine dirt". I stuck my hand out to shake his, and he politely tried to refuse, saying that his hands were dirty. I said, "I dont care. Dirt doesn't scare me." He then heartily shook my hand, genuinely and pleasantly surprised by my desire to make that handshake. From that moment on, he knew I was a "regular guy" and could talk to him about the mechanics, and not have someone staring at him, like a monkey doing a math problem.

Greg agreed that he would diagnose, chase, and test the wiring for no more than 2 hours, and then call me with a status update. After that we would be better able to "make the call" to just gut it and start over with the lights.

I left for work and thanked Greg for his current and future effort, and then left him alone to do his work.

--4 Hours later--

DW calls me and asks if I have heard anything, and I said no.

I call out to Troy and ask for a status update. He connects with Greg who comes in, and says. "The generator is running, but not completely smooth. You should probably run some seafoam through it, and that should take care of it."

"What about the lights?" I ask.

"I've got some magic happening here. I have the headlights working, and the hazards..... I think I almost have it solved, but since I was on a roll, I didn't want to stop to call, sorry."

"As long as things are starting to work, I won't take up any more of your time and let you get back at it." I replied.

An hour later, Troy calls me back and says, "He's got it! Everything is working. He wants to let the genny run for a couple of hours, if that's ok with you."

I tell him, "Let it run.... We've got to burn off the older gasoline in the tank to help it run smoother anyways. Whats the total bill?"

Troy says that he'll have to pull out his abacus, do some figuring, and call me back with a total.-- never a good sign.

Twenty minutes later, he calls me back and gives me a figure which was less than half of what I was expecting.

DW and I went down to the service department and picks up the coach. DW went into the cashier to settle the bill, and I went directly to talk to Greg. He showed me the amount of finesse to give the genny to get it to start, and run. He also gave me some ideas for cleaning the fuel system which will save me some $$. We walked into the coach and the AC was blowing cold, keeping the inside at about 72*. Lovely.......

I am so pleased at the level of service, the quality of work and the honesty of Greg, who I feel, isnt being paid nearly enough for his knowledge and expertise.

Now, who was this dealer, you ask?

Tom Raper RV, in Fairfield, Ohio.

I have heard some horror stories about pricing and labor rates, but when you know you're in over your head, it's worth it to have that kind of expertise and experience working for you. It also helps to make the "personal connection" with the guy that's doing the work.

Would I go back? ABSOLUTELY!! They will continue to get my business for parts, accessories, etc.
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

When things like that happen to me (rarely) I get a nice bottle of Scotch and a $50 bill, walk to the tech and hand it to him. He becomes a friend, he remembers me and the next issue I get, get's his attention.

Sometimes you have to grease the wheels

Congrats on a great experience with a shop - it's pretty rare these days!
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

A Great experience !!! Thanks for sharing !!! There are good people left out there,,,, treat people right, and sometimes it will come back to you. It only takes once to reafirm your beliefe in humans....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
That's a great story and I agree with the above posters that getting on an individual basis with the tech is #1. But, the large dealerships where the techs are separated from the public and a service manager is all you can deal with can be really frustrating. It's like your rig goes into this black hole and instead of talking directly to the tech you have to communicate with a service manager who's hands you can always shake because they never get dirty!! So I guess the answer is find a small service center where the tech is wiping his hands with a grease rag when you drive up.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

It's always good to hear positive comments about dealers and service centers!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
It's great to hear about an outstanding agency, I travel that way once in a while. If you are in the San Antonio area one to compare to this one is Texas rv supply they work the same way.