Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

HWH 310 operating question

My coach has the HWH 310 series hydraulic leveling system. My Newmar Owners Manual states to retract them with the ignition in the on position. The HWH manual says to retract with engine running. I have tried both ways and did not notice a difference and worked well. My question is does it matter if the coach is running? I can see how starting the coach and inflating the air bags could unload the jacks before retraction. The only thing I don't like about starting the coach and THEN retracting the jacks is I get an additional high pitch loud audio alert until the red lights go out. This is in addition to the buzzer which you get both ways. I don't like the extra loud alert and my dog likes it even less however we both can live with it if it's easier on the jacks. Comments?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I believe it's because they draw a lot of amps when extending so having the engine running helps.
But when retracting the system draws far less current so just having the ignition on but engine not running should be fine and is what I do.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the trainguy View Post
I believe it's because they draw a lot of amps when extending so having the engine running helps.
But when retracting the system draws far less current so just having the ignition on but engine not running should be fine and is what I do.
Both HWH and Newmar manual says ignition in ACC when extending so amp draw would not seem to be the thinking in that regards.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This information may help you and to keep the alarm off when retracting your jacks turn your key to accessory and your dog will be real happy.
Your batteries will be fully charged after traveling or if you have disconnected your shore power cord to operate your jack system with out a problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2291779][B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/normal-operation-of-newmar-slides-and-a-fws-difference-224495.html
This information [/URL][/B]may help you and to keep the alarm off when retracting your jacks turn your key to accessory and your dog will be real happy.
Your batteries will be fully charged after traveling or if you have disconnected your shore power cord to operate your jack system with out a problem.
I looked through those links but did not find anything that addressed my question although I might have missed it. Your saying it's ok to use the ACC position on the retract cycle and it will keep the alarms off?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes that's how its done, you must use it or put up with howling dog and engine should not be running.
Here is your jack system item # 2 ignition in ACC position of Leveling Procedure .
Page MP35.68
Old 11-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2292506]Yes that's how its done, you must use it or put up with howling dog and engine should not be running.
Here is your [B][URL="http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml10044.pdf
jack system[/URL][/B] item # 2 ignition in ACC position of Leveling Procedure .
Page MP35.68

I have the same manual as the link you posted. #2 Ignition in the ACC position is under the extension or leveling procedure. It's shows engine running for the retract procedure. Not sure if it makes a difference. Am I missing something?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First off I changed out the jacks down alarm to something a little easier on my hearing. I found that if you switch to accessory on your ignition switch to level the coach you don't have to listen to the alarm anyway. When retracting I always do it with the engine running. Wait till the air tanks are full and the air dryer purges then hit the store button. The Jacks retract and the air suspension begins to fill. Do my final walk around and I'm ready to go.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
First off I changed out the jacks down alarm to something a little easier on my hearing. I found that if you switch to accessory on your ignition switch to level the coach you don't have to listen to the alarm anyway. When retracting I always do it with the engine running. Wait till the air tanks are full and the air dryer purges then hit the store button. The Jacks retract and the air suspension begins to fill. Do my final walk around and I'm ready to go.
Changing the alarm is an option of course and I might go that way. I was trying to figure out if the system is designed to retract with the engine running for a reason. Anyone??
Old 11-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes I see that, to inflate bags, than retract the jacks, the bags are already deflated and setting on chassis frame and jacks in accessary can retract than start your engine and inflate the bags but do not move until the coach is at ride height.
IT should work either way its up to you if you want to keep dog happy and your ears from ringing.
Try both ways and decide which you like.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

FWIW. I retract slides, turn ign. switch to acc. turn on leveling control panel and hit restore, jacks are spring loaded and return on their own, after jacks are retracted (all lights out) start engine and wait til air pressure at 100+ and then depart. No jack alarm to wake up the neighborhood.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #12

Let me rephrase the question. Why does my HWH manual say to start the engine and then press the store button to retract the jacks? If you say it's because of the amp draw on the battery I would then ask why does it say to put the ingnition in acc position to extend? I apologize but I'm one of those guys that wants to understand the reasons behind instructions before I operate a system in a manner different from the manufacture stated instructions. It also helps me understand the systems better and make informed judgements about future repairs.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you'll need to call HWH to get the answer. I'll throw out a guess. When setting the jacks, the coach has just arrived and the batteries are fully charged. Plenty of power to move the jacks.

Sometimes when leaving, the coach has been used and batteries could be down. They may also want you to start the engine so that the air builds while the jacks are retracting. I don't like retracting the jacks without air in the system, it can cause the coach to crash down quickly. With the air bags inflated, you can often not even feel the jacks retract.

Lastly.....unless I'm boon docking, I connect my shore power and water lines before doing anything with the coach. When leaving camp, I leave at least the shore power cord connected while I raise and close up the coach. Having that additional power from the shore cord can help in reducing slide and jack issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think you'll need to call HWH to get the answer. I'll throw out a guess. When setting the jacks, the coach has just arrived and the batteries are fully charged. Plenty of power to move the jacks.

Sometimes when leaving, the coach has been used and batteries could be down. They may also want you to start the engine so that the air builds while the jacks are retracting. I don't like retracting the jacks without air in the system, it can cause the coach to crash down quickly. With the air bags inflated, you can often not even feel the jacks retract.

Lastly.....unless I'm boon docking, I connect my shore power and water lines before doing anything with the coach. When leaving camp, I leave at least the shore power cord connected while I raise and close up the coach. Having that additional power from the shore cord can help in reducing slide and jack issues.
Don

That would seem to make sense. I like your tip about leaving the shore power in to bring in the slides. I'm new to all this so my learning curve is steep. I did call HWH but it was about 6 weeks ago. I was calling for a different reason. It took them 5 weeks to call me back and then I missed the call.

Tags
hwh