Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

HWH Air Suspension

I know that many coaches use the air bag for suspension and leveling. I have a 2007 Country Coach inspire 360 which has the HWH automatic leveling system. When traveling the system is in travel mode. If I add 300 or 400 lbs to the hitch weight does the air suspension automatically compensate and bring
the coach to travel mode by adding more pressure to the rear bags?

I also think the original equipment shocks are no longer doing their job. Which shocks would be the best to replace the originals.?

Thanks in Advance

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Yes, more air will be added to the rear bags to bring the rear up to proper ride height.

Your shocks are probably the red Konis and they are probably set on the softest setting. CC did this to get a nice cushy ride not knowing how the coach would be loaded. The red Konis are adjustable but they have to be taken off to adjust.

I ran the original shocks on our '02 Intrigue for about 70,000 miles and then replaced them with the Koni FSD. That was a huge and expensive mistake. After 5,000 miles, they rode worse that the shocks I took off. I then upgraded to the Road king shock absorbers for motor homes and RVs shock and it made a huge difference. They are expensive but worth it to me.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

It will level the coach , not the suspension. You are adding a load to the frame, not the coach. If you load the frame and it goes down, the back of the coach won't level, it will just keep same distance from frame to top of bags. It doesn't actually level. It just keeps a certain distance from top or bottom of frame rails to top of bag, which is the bottom of the coach cab. It will only level when you put out the jacks.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White
It will level the coach , not the suspension. You are adding a load to the frame, not the coach. If you load the frame and it goes down, the back of the coach won't level, it will just keep same distance from frame to top of bags. It doesn't actually level. It just keeps a certain distance from top or bottom of frame rails to top of bag, which is the bottom of the coach cab. It will only level when you put out the jacks.
Perry, you are splitting some huge hairs here.

Most if not all air suspension dp's are auto leveling at ride height. If you put. Anything in the back that causes the back of the coach to drop, the system will pump air into the bags to bring the coach back to ride height.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Perry, you are splitting some huge hairs here.

Most if not all air suspension dp's are auto leveling at ride height. If you put. Anything in the back that causes the back of the coach to drop, the system will pump air into the bags to bring the coach back to ride height.
I don't think he is splitting hairs, what he says is true. Perhaps "level" is the wrong word, square would be more appropriate. Frame and chassis are "square".

Jim E
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The red Konis are adjustable but they have to be taken off to adjust.
Why? According to the instructions that came with my front Koni's they can be adjusted by removing the top or bottom mount, collapsing them and rotating the loose end the correct way. I did mine a couple months ago this way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Why? According to the instructions that came with my front Koni's they can be adjusted by removing the top or bottom mount, collapsing them and rotating the loose end the correct way. I did mine a couple months ago this way.
When mine were adjusted by the CC factory, they removed them from the coach to adjust them. Something about being easier to do them out in the open, I didn't care as this was done under warranty. Personally, if I was doing the labor myself, on my chassis, I would remove them.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

Perry..

You really had me going for a while. After I read it for the forth time I finally had to agree with what you are saying. At the same time several others are correct about the bags bringing the coach back to ride height.

Now if I could only decide between the Koni's, road kings and Bilstein shocks the rest
is easy. Sorry for opening up a discussion about shocks. I would imagine it has been beat to death, and like most of these discussions there is never a clear choice.

I am going to take a trip to HWH in Moscow Iowa next week to get a tune up on the
air suspension and install new shocks. I hope I choose the right ones. Most of the problem I have is with Porpoising and I am talking really bad here.....

Thanks everyone for all the replies

Dick
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
Perry..

You really had me going for a while. After I read it for the forth time I finally had to agree with what you are saying. At the same time several others are correct about the bags bringing the coach back to ride height.

Now if I could only decide between the Koni's, road kings and Bilstein shocks the rest
is easy. Sorry for opening up a discussion about shocks. I would imagine it has been beat to death, and like most of these discussions there is never a clear choice.

I am going to take a trip to HWH in Moscow Iowa next week to get a tune up on the
air suspension and install new shocks. I hope I choose the right ones. Most of the problem I have is with Porpoising and I am talking really bad here.....

Thanks everyone for all the replies

Dick
If you are going to install Road Kings, you should have HWH order them now.

I had the FSD's and they did nothing for the porpoising and the bottoming out on some roads. They are ok for light gassers but not for a heavy front ended coach like yours. I put the Bilsteens in the same worthless pot as the FSD.

Matter of fact, I can give you an excellent deal on FSD takeoffs.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #10

Don..

I take it from your reply you are a Road King kinda guy. I have been reading all day
everything I could get my hands on about the three shocks in contention. There was an interesting article in Motor home Magazine a ways back about some road testing done between the three leading shocks and depending on how you read the results
Road King seems to come out on top. It's hard to say how objective the tests were.

I know there are an awful lot of people on this board who like the Koni's

Thanks for your input.

Dick
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #11

Bigd, I suggest you join the Yahoo Country Coach group and inquire there about the RK shock. You could also call Oregon Motorcoach and get their opinion of the Koni and the RK.

Good thing about the RK is that it can be rebuilt if need be. Don't know if you have ever seen a live RK to pick it up, but these things are brutes.

I would think that Koni would be ok for a fairly light gasser coach which ours is not.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Bigd, I suggest you join the Yahoo Country Coach group and inquire there about the RK shock. You could also call Oregon Motor coach and get their opinion of the Koni and the RK.

Good thing about the RK is that it can be rebuilt if need be. Don't know if you have ever seen a live RK to pick it up, but these things are brutes.

I would think that Koni would be ok for a fairly light gasser coach which ours is not.
I spent almost the entire day doing research and making telephone calls to
the manufacturers. The last person I spoke with was a service tech at Oregon Motor Coach. After a long conversation he agreed on the Road Kings. Next time we head for the west coast I will be sure to stop to talk to these guys.

I found a good deal on the Road Kings $1400.00 out the door including shipping. I have to send them all the specs. on the coach. Front and rear axle weights with our typical load. Ours is a little different due to the fact that we have a Hydra Lift motorcycle lift with a Goldwing. The company said that they will make allowances for my specific circumstances and the front and rear shocks will be different based on the load.

Thanks for everyone's input

Report to follow

Dick
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Bigd, I suggest you join the Yahoo Country Coach group and inquire there about the RK shock. You could also call Oregon Motorcoach and get their opinion of the Koni and the RK.

I finally decided on Road King Shocks. I am having them installed on Friday and will report back after I have a chance to try them out......

Dick
Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:

Don...

OMG...I cannot believe the difference. It corners better, rides better, doesn't float thru the curves and best of all NO more porpoising. I actually feel like I have control for the first time in quite a long time. The mechanic at Freightliner where I had them installed said the front were
useless and the rears were not far behind. He took one in his hands and holding the top and bottom out in front of his chest he was able to run them up and down with ease. They were adjusted to their max. They were original equipment and only had 19,000 miles.

One happy Road King Camper

Dick

Tags
hwh, suspension