Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

HWH Computerized Leveling Alarm

Just bought a new rig and I'm unfamiliar with the hwh computerized leveling system. It appears to be working and jacks the rv up level but an alarm ( high pitched) sounds as soon as the Jacks start to go down and never goes off until i turn the key off. When i press the store option to raise the jacks the rv drops quite violently at first and then starts to lower more easily and controlled.

Question is; is this normal?

Thanks.
NeptuneGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If I'm reading your description correctly the answer is yes. But, try putting the key in the accessory position instead of "on".

I think what you're hearing is the alarm that alerts that the jacks are not all the way up when the key is in the "on" position. This doesn't happen in the "acc" position... at least on my HWH Winnie system.

It's also normal to feel a somewhat violent jerk when you press the auto store and then it may take up to several minutes for all of the jack to fully retract.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Ah... good to know Rick. The quick reference said turn key to On. I'll try turning it to accessories.... makes sense.

Thanks.
NeptuneGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
RickO is correct. If you use the accessories position, the alarm will not sound when the jacks are not in their stowed position. You must be aware though that when using the acc. position, you will be using battery only to level your coach and this may put extra strain on it. When storing the jacks for travel, the load on the battery isn't much of an issue.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH leveling

ON my allegro bus it is the same as the other posters. If you turn the key to the on position the alarm sounds to tell you that the jacks are not in the travel position. I also have a red light that come on located on my dash that does the same thing.

When I get to the campground I usually get the bus parked in the space then I get out and make sure I have room for the slides and everything. While I am checking that out I hook up to the campground electric power then I go back into the bus turn the key to the accessor position and let the bus level. Once it is level i run the slides out.

Keep in mind that the jacks have to be totally up for the switch to tell the system the jacks are in travel mode. Once the jacks move down a coupld of inches the system tells you that you are not in travel position with the jacks.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Commercial Member

the violent drop can be lessened by installing flow restrictors at the manifold of the leveling system. they can be purchased from hwh. its called a velocity valve kit
RAP90280 is the correct part number. ease of installation depends on the location of the pump and manifold.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcruz View Post
Just bought a new rig and I'm unfamiliar with the hwh computerized leveling system. It appears to be working and jacks the rv up level but an alarm ( high pitched) sounds as soon as the Jacks start to go down and never goes off until i turn the key off. When i press the store option to raise the jacks the rv drops quite violently at first and then starts to lower more easily and controlled.

Question is; is this normal?

Thanks.
Try this link. You will find a lot of good information by the folks who made the system.

HWH Operator's Manuals
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I can deal with the initial sudden drop of the coach while retracting the jacks. My jacks are slow to retract anyway and inserting a flow restrictor in the lines would just make that worse. The rear jacks were much worse than the front two and I called HWH support for help. The tech implied that they were aware. He suggested that I loosen the two lower jack mounting bolts to see if that helped. It did and made a big difference. I asked what the suggested torque should be on those nuts and never got a good answer. I ended up putting Loctite on the threads and just snugging them up. The only issue I have now is that three times over the last year I've had a deploy alarm go off while on the road. Each time the right rear jack had dropped just enough to allow the travel switch on that jack to make. Initiating a retract cycle from the control panel allowed the jack the fully retract again. The HWH tech said that it is caused by fluid expansion in the lines on hot days. Since that line is the furthest from the pump, there is more fluid to expand. Since the springs are all that hold the piston up, the expanding fluid just pushed the piston down enough to relieve the pressure.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leveling