Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

HWH Hydraulic Fluid Check

Where is the reservoir?
I want to check the fluid level, but I do not know where the reservoir is at.

Someone said that to check the level, you need to bring the jacks up. Others have said that you have to have the jacks up and the slides out.

If the slide outs are IN, I don't know how you would be able to check the fluid level.

So confusing.
I can't locate my HWH manual.

I don't know which way is the correct method.

2007 Suncruiser 38T
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #2

I believe it depends on the number of slides you have when you should measure fluid level.

Best to contact AZPete here on the forum via PM. He works for HWH and he'll be able to tell you all sorts of stuff about your system. He helps for free. He can probably help you find your model number so you can find the users guide online.

Now, as far as finding the tank, it's near the hydraulic motor and solenoids. So follow the sound the pump makes when you operate your jacks or slides and it'll be there where you localize the sound. In a '07 Class A, I believe it's either in front of and partially under the stairwell (partially accessed from outside under the front of the RV), or behind it on the passenger side. You have to lift a step to see a portion of it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Always check fluid with all slides in with any HWH setup. The reservoir is located at the pump.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

You should be reading your owners manual and getting the correct FACTS, not posting here and getting opinions...most of them wrong.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe you missed the part where he said he couldn’t locate his manual and what part of the advise given to you think is wrong? My advise comes directly from HWH.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #6

I have 2 units. 1 located on the passenger side firewall you can get to with the generator slide out that operates the jacks and 1 unit located under the entryway stairs that operate the slides. It is a real bear to get to. I can tell you one time I topped off the jack unit with them extended and wound up with oil on the concrete when they retracted fully makes sense if you think about it and look at the size of the tank. Bet it is the same for the slides. When my slides extend 4 of them the rams are extended creating a larger area to fill. Retracted the fluid needs somewhere to go. The tank for the slides is not very large either. If you you top anything off put a catch pan underneath until you are sure
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Maybe you missed the part where he said he couldn’t locate his manual and what part of the advise given to you think is wrong? My advise comes directly from HWH.

Chargerman, I was not taking a swipe at you with my post about bad advice. You are trying to help and I understand that. However, anyone who owns a complex piece of equipment like a motor home should have the owners/operating manual for everything in that coach. If he doesn't have his HWH manual, it can be downloaded from the HWH web site.

So many times I have seen someone post a question here about something that could be correctly, quickly and easily answered by spending a few minutes with the owners manual. Instead the questioner often gets a lot of incorrect advice here from people who have also never read their owners manuals. The problem not only doesn't get solved, it often gets worse because of the incorrect information provided by well-meaning people who want to help, but in reality don't know what they are talking about or have learned some incorrect procedures themselves.

This has already happened right here in this thread! Look at what the OP said in his original post. He said, "Someone said that to check the level, you need to bring the jacks up. Others have said that you have to have the jacks up and the slides out." He was given two pieces of advice and both of them are wrong! The only way to know - FOR SURE - what is right for his system is to consult the HWH owner's manual for his specific system.

CLICK HERE for the HWH OPERATOR INFORMATION page
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for clarifying A Traveler!!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Commercial Member

moxxi, please call or text me at 602 549 3638. i can help. i can provide both an operators manual and service manual.
checking the fluid depends on what type of room mechanism you have, above the floor need to be extended, below the floor need to be retracted. jacks must be retracted.
if you dont have a leak, check it once a year at best. the fluid doesnt evaporate, or wear out, and the actual fluid level isnt that critical. anywhere between 3/4 and 1 inch is good enough.
paul maddox
i work full time for hwh corp. i do not sell parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 AM   #10

Is this the reservoir for the Hydraulic Fluid for the slides?

This white reservoir is located on the left side of the engine compartment.

If this IS the slides' Hydraulic Fluid reservoir, then, the next question is, I check the hydraulic fluid level AFTER the slides are retracted in, correct?

I looked for info in the operator's manual, as well as the supplemental operating manual. I could not find anything on this.

In fact, in the supplemental operating manual, it looks like the information that I was looking for should have been in section 11.

Section 11 was totally empty, as if a previous owner, for whatever reason, opened the manual and took all of those pages for themselves. Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH%201(1).jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	285790
Old 05-18-2020, 12:35 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
CAUTION!!!
On some HWH models, You check the fluid level with the slide extended.
Search for a manual for your year of coach..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:27 AM   #12

I will be calling AZ_Pete in the morning to get a more definitive answer.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #13

I just found chart on what you need to do before your check your HWH fluid level, but I have no idea where I got it or it's accurate for Itasca/Winnebago RVs?

Maybe Azpete can verify this for us?

Also, I am wondering if it makes sense to "recharge" my 15 year old HWH fluid reservoir by:

1) Configuring your coach slideouts per the chart below?

2) Then check your existing HWH hydraulic fluid level, just for grinns.

3) The use a $10 drill type pump you can buy at AutoZone to remove the old HWH fluid.

4) Then re-fill the reservoir with Dexron-III ATF.

Is this a good plan? ...And if not, why not?

Note: The picture of the HWH pump (removed from the coach) belongs to someone else, but you can see the cap on top of the reservoir tank. And FYI, my HWH reservoir is located under my front steps.

PS
Recharging your Fan Clutch & steering system with Dexron III also is on my list of things to do this summer; and since all ATF is hydrophilic, it would seem that it would be a good idea to pump out that 15 year old fluid and replace/recharge with new without flushing the system out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH 310 Picture (Slide Solenoids & Jack Solenoids).jpg
Views:	321
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	285914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Hydraulic Fluid Level Check.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	285915  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags