Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel B View Post
HWH has a list of Master Service Centers around the country, HWH Master Service Centers
I'm still puzzled on how a 12,000 lbs capacity jack could be bent, if someone drove with them down I could maybe see the mounting plates getting tweaked, but not the whole thing, can you tell us what your jacks do, or don't do ?,
On the bold, that's the question I'm left with.

If they're replacing both those jacks because they won't go up - thinking there might be a few things I'd try prior to letting a shop replace them for that reason...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
HWH Jacks

Dennis, if you are traveling to the Grand Canyon, call John Visser at 3T's RV in Lake Havasu City, AZ. In the USA, 800-223-1779 (Home Page 3-T's RV Products

They will give you a "straight" answer, and their labor rate is lower than most. They do excellent work and are an authorized HWH Service Center.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
04 Meridian
03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake Sys
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticat900 View Post
HWH wont sell to anyone not in their dealer network
I think your thinking about Power Gear. HWH has sent me new springs and more recently harnesses for the control panel that were destroyed during a blowout. They have fantastic customer service. Don't hesitate to call.

---------

I just looked at my back Jacks and once you get the springs off the cylinder is held on the the frame at pivot point. Take out the two bolts on each side and that cylinder should drop right down for inspection. If the framing that holds the cylinder is bent then then you will need a welder.

Make sure all of your valves are working.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All these posts are amazing, you guys rock.... I just found a hydraulic repair shop close to my house... they repair all hydraulic stuff. I will pull the jacks off myself and send them out to be repaired. I will post pics as I do it...
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #19

Dennis,

If by chance your hydraulic shop is not really familiar with the HWH jacks they could have issues getting them apart. They also may not be familiar with machining the inside of the phenolic bushings a little bit so they retract better. If that is the case Nor-West Hydraulic & Pneumatic in Lynden, Wa are very familiar with them and I am sure they would help out your shop on what they do to them. 360-354-3239. They did all four of mine.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2journey View Post
All these posts are amazing, you guys rock.... I just found a hydraulic repair shop close to my house... they repair all hydraulic stuff. I will pull the jacks off myself and send them out to be repaired. I will post pics as I do it...
The company offers a lot of documents on their system including part numbers. They even have mini-courses for free that you can take and get certificates on and understand hydraulics better. I am going to go through all of them when I get a chance.

Oh this attachment is available at the site. This one is for my back jacks so you can see the bolts I was talking about. Once the springs are off the jacks are free to pivot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RearJack.pdf (16.7 KB, 146 views)
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #21

What are your jacks doing or not doing ?,

Quote:
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Just finished replacing a HWH cylinder (not the entire jack) because it would not retract on its own for the LR. Secret to getting the springs off is to pull down on the jack pad with the springs attached and pivot it to the side. The springs will come off easy now. Take off the hdy line and electrical, unbolt the side plates (mine needed a fresh coat of paint anyhow) and the cylinder will drop out. Easy job.
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #23

Very often a slow or non retracting HWH jack can be returned to proper operation by spraying the shaft with silicone spray. HWH says use ATF but many of us have found spray silicone works as well or better. Pickup a can at NAPA. Run the jack all the way down and spray it heavy with silicone and retract the jack. It may take several cycles to speed it up. If that doesn't work take the jack to a hydraulic repair shop that is familiar with HWH jacks. There are two phenolic bushings insides the jack that the hydraulic fluid will cause to swell and bind the shaft. The shop that did mine said just a slight cut with the lathe inside the bushings will free them up. Cost me $200.00 per jack to make them work like new. Their new style bee hive shaped ends springs are stronger and they also help.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
Commercial Member

ticat900, hwh DOES sell to owners. where did you hear differently? all you have to do is call them and ask for the parts dept. they will sell you a new, or re-manufactured part if they have it in stock. if not, they will rebuild the jack cylinders. when a cylinder is sent in to be rebuilt, they only replace what it needs. if the shaft is bent, or the tube is bad, they will sell you a re-manufactured cylinder. that is the most you will pay for. how do i know, i work for hwh. i am a service rep who lives in arizona.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Commercial Member

redt. i also recommend 3-ts, in lake havasu az. i know john and tina very well. they do excellent work. i have worked with them many times.
good work, and fair prices, a combination that is rare, and great to find. normally you can get to choose one or the other.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Hello Fellow Travelers

Just got the word back from my dealer on my two rear jacks.... Looks like they are both bent and need to be replaced. The jacks are HWH product code AP19670. They are charging me close to $550 each plus labor to install. Anyone know of a place we can install these cheaper? I am in Ontario with a 13% tax and do not mind doing the work in the US where things are much cheaper. We are planning to travel to the Grand Canyon and Florida in the next few months.
Just a quick question, how do you know they are bent? How does the dealer know they are bent.

I m sorry to be a cynic but I have been lied to so many times by dealers, I almost always get a second opinion before spending large sums of money.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know what part of the states you're entering at but if you call Chuck Stewart @ Stewart Service I'm sure he can hep you out. He is a HWH master tech center around Elkhart Indiana. The number is 1-800-826-6267. They are closed on Fridays and I believe they are only open till 3:00PM in the afternoos but that may have changed. The web site is rvleveling.com Hope this helps.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
Dennis

I would call HWH and check on pricing. I would also shop around for installation costs from other dealers if you don't want to do it yourself.

If you call HWH I would ask them what they would charge to do the complete job.

I woul also question whether the jacks are both bent or just need overhauling.

Good luck.

Gary
Gary has the right idea call HWH they might be hard to get a hold of but they are great to deal with. I have sent them things to be repaired and have had great results. You could see if they have any already rebuilt , get them and then send in your old ones. They are fast to mail the parts out. Jim

Tags
hwh, jacks