Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
HWH issue

'03 Newmar Dutch Star. Pulled into a site last night and leveled the mh with no issue. Never got it completely level due to being tired so this morning while still plugged into 50 amp decided to level it out. Turned the key to acc. and pushed the button to turn it on and it only clicked. Pushed the dump button to make sure all the air was out and the pad lit up as normal and a little air came out as usual. Tried the on button again and nothing. Turned key off and tried that and no joy. Since the pad lights up it can't be the fuse.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong? We're new to the DS but I know it's not complicated.

Jim and Carol
2005 Monaco Windsor
2010 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
abrasv is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
Try starting the engine to level the rig. The engine compressor will do the heavy lifting.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What kind of system...hydraulic or air?
Can someone go outside and listen for any relay activity?

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had HWH jacks on all my motor homes. I have had that happen on a couple of occasions. It sounds like you have a bad motor, or solenoid, or motor fuse, or possiblly a bad ground. Locate the HWH pump unit. If you have a voltage tester or test light check if you have good voltage to the main lug on the motor when someone pushes the button on the panel. If you hear it click and no power to the motor it is likely a solenoid. There are some fuses in that area that you can check. If you have voltage to the main motor lug it is likely a motor.

One time that happened to me and my 2 slides would not come in. I took a hammer and lightly taped the motor and it worked long enough to get the slides in so I could get home. The motor never worked again and I had to replace the motor. I now carry a spare motor, motor solenoid, and slide solenoid. HWH telephone # is 800-321-3494. Some times they answer your call promptly and sometimes when they are busy it can take a couple of days.

Good luck with your problem and report back on the solution to the problem. What makes this site so valuable is we learn from each other.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

There are multiple fuses involved in the HWH system .
My 325 series levelers , has a master 40 amp fuse near the pump solenoid , and a bunch of 10 amp fuses in the control box.
My problem, erratic operation, came from corroded connections on the 40 amp fuse, due to road salt in the " waterproof" 40 amp fuse holder. There was voltage getting through but due to the corrosion not enough amps for proper operation.
Do you have the operators manual ? If not the manuals are available as downloads from HWH.
Important that you check the connections at the main fuse and all the fuses in the master control box.

Welcome to HWH Corporation
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Commercial Member
be sure to download a service manual, not the operators manual.
the service manual has all the wiring diagrams, and a diagnosis/repair
section. it also has pics of the pump assembly and the location of important parts,
like the fuses,relays, and solenoids.
please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638. i can help.
i dont sell parts or solicit service repairs on this site.
i work for hwh, and help with diagnosis of problems.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
On my gas unit I need to set the emergency brake for the system to work. Not sure on a diesel but is the emergency brake set????
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
After exhausting about every option I decided to remove the HWH touch panel. 4 screws and it was out and then pulled the connector with all the wires off the panel. It looked ok but when I reconnected it I decided to turn the key on and try it. Lo and behold it lit up so I was able to re-level the mh. I screwed it back in place and tried it again and it wouldn't work. Loosened it up again and it worked. Did this a few times with same results so came to the conclusion that a new touch panel is needed. This one still works if I don't tighten it down but don't want to drive around with it just laying loose. All the wires were tight so figure it might be a bad solder connection that separates when tightened.

Any ideas as to where a good place is to buy another touch panel (other then HWH as they are closed for the weekend)?
Jim and Carol
2005 Monaco Windsor
Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On diesel coaches the brake must be set as well. My last two coaches had HWH leveling systems and they both have "Brake Not Set" lights that tell you to set the brake before trying to level. I doubt this is the OP's problem since he reports that the panel lights up.
Looks like you have an outstanding offer from azpete at HWH for assistance. I would jump on that.

Best of luck.
Michael & Marsha Penner
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
MD_Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Thanks AZPete. Did what you said by pushing each wire down with my pocket knife to make sure the connection was tight. Screwed the touchpad back down tight and it works like a new one!
Thanks so much.
Jim and Carol
2005 Monaco Windsor
Old 09-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
That just happened to me while I was on a trip in Wyoming from florida. I went to a great place in Cheyenne called Jolley Rogers RV repair( they also have a small, adequate campground if you need to stay). I ended up having to replace the keypad in the coach. Just died on me. Everything working fine now.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Sportscoach Encore 2006
2008 Jeep Liberty toad

tipaulfla is offline   Reply With Quote