Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
HWH issues and questions

Hello, today we got back from a weekend of camping(our first full weekend since we purchased in November) I have played around with most systems in the coach including the levelling jacks. One thing I noticed was the left rear is really really slow to come up. Sometimes it stops at about 1-2" still extended. So I have to hammer the bottom of the pad or use a bar etc to get it fully retracted. Today when we got home, I parked on the street and shut the coach off. We unloaded and then I started it to take it to the storage location. As soon as the coach was running, the "jacks down" alarm sounded. I looked at the HWH panel and it said the left rear jack was down. So I got out and checked it out. I could see about 1/4" of shiny tube so I knew it had come down a little. I grabbed a long bar and tried to pry it back up but it wouldn't budge at all. I then went back into the coach(alarm still dinging) and looked at the panel. Now it had no lights on, but the alarm was still sounding. I pushed the "on" button to turn the system on and no lights were on. As this occurred the alarm stopped sounding. Anyone know what could cause this? Do I need new springs etc? My system is not automatic. I have to hit the dump air button and then lower a pair of jacks at a time by holding the buttons. I'm not sure what series it is since the manual is in the coach which is at the storage facility. Also, does anyone know where the reservoir for the HWH jacks/slides would be located? I wanted to check the oil level.

2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, 350HP C-7 Cat
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #2

I have the same manual HWH system, low fluid shouldn't be the problem. Most time the pump is attached to the resivoir so it can be tracked by the noise when the pump is running. Weak springs would be my first guess, I have a slow RR jack, and plan to replace mine.
Sometimes external heat will cause the slight drop in a jack, any time I stop for lunch or fuel I run the retract cycle.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Slow retraction of jacks is a fairly common problem, and weak springs is the usual cause. You can try cleaning off the shaft of the problem jack with WD-40 to see if that speeds things up. Make sure to thoroughly wipe off the WD-40 before activating the jacks.

Around 2006, HWH came out with stronger springs. The older springs have a constant OD while the new, stronger ones are slightly tapered at the ends. If you have the old style, I would definitely consider replacing them.

If your system will not turn on, first make sure your park brake is set and the transmission is in park. Sometimes I have to jiggle the shift lever to get it to seat fully in the park position, but your DP may be pushbutton shift. Try putting it in and out of park several times. If the lights still don't come on, you may have a blown fuse. There are a bunch of fuses on the circuit board that controls the system. Winnebago used to put the pump and reservoir (which is where the circuit board is probably also located) under the hood or under the steps of the gassers, but I don't know where they are on the diesels. Sometimes there is an electrical compartment on diesel pushers right ahead of the front wheel on the drivers side. The reservoir and pump may be in there.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
I just replaced the springs on my left rear jack because it wouldn't fully retract. I would use my cars jack to get it all the way up. But that became a real PITA!!! Of course replacing the two springs was no picnic. I ended up using shims stuffed in the springs when fully deployed. But I found NOT to put them all in the same way as it will bow the spring making it really difficult, if not impossible to hook in place. Just alternate the way you put them in to keep the spring straight. Then retract the jack to take the pressure off. As for putting the new ones on, I just tied a rope to the new springs, connected the rope to my car and rear of the coach and backed up to extend the springs to place shims in the new ones. Once I figured out all this it was a piece of cake. Of course it took a couple skinned knuckles and choice words before I figured it all out.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Commercial Member
a blood sacrifice always makes the job go easier. and the lesson is remembered longer.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this same problem for the first time when we dewinterized. Found the reservoir was a little low on fluid so I topped it off (with the jacks up), lowered the jacks and brought them back up and the alarm stopped and all has been good since.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
I had the same problem with the right rear jack on my coach. Bought a new pair of springs from this place:
HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
And all is well.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Commercial Member
fluid level does affect power gear jacks during retract, because they depend on proper fluid level to move a float up to turn the jack down alarm off.
hwh depends on a magnetic switch to shut the jack down alarm off. low fluid will never cause a jack down alarm to activate. the springs retract the jack shaft to a point where the magnet makes contact. low fluid only affects hwh jacks when extending.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #9

I have this problem with my RR jack, which is odd because that is one I replaced 3 years ago. I have put on new springs but that did not help. What does work is fully extend the jack, spray with WD40, wipe down with paper towel and then retract. If you read the HWH technical bulletin you will be amazed how long they allow the jack to retract. http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi9553.pdf
John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Cleaning the leveler shafts is a good idea, lubricating them is also a good idea. Most of the manufacturers recommend lubricating, mine recommends using spray silicone but I think White Lithium Grease (spray) is another good option. It's pretty boring but reading the manual and becoming familiar with the MH systems is important.

John and Karen
2012 Thor Challenger 36FD
2013 Fiat 500 Toad
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote