Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

HWH issues....par for the course

I had HWH repair my control box last year(610 series) and the system leveled perfectly when I received it, so I left on the jacks for a couple of months. However, when I tried to store the first time, the jacks all did something a bit different, so I leveled again and cleaned and lubricated the pistons with silicone. This seems to help on the next retraction, but the left rear takes about 30 minutes to retract partially, then stops about 4" inches from full store position. Using the manual T handles releases on the solenoids do no good, even with the other jacks. I have no reason to believe there is an issue with the LR jack mechanism, as it works perfectly when leveling, with no leaks and the ability to left the LR wheels off the ground slightly when leveling.

I replaced the shuttle valve last year but according to the HWH troubleshooting manual it seems it affects all the jacks if defective, not just a single one. What is odd, is that the panel store function seems to activate all 4 solenoids and the jacks retract to some extent, but the manual release T handles on the solenoids do nothing.

My next step is to disconnect the LR line from the manifold to see if the check valve or something is defective or clogged, but if there were an obstruction, it does not seem the LR would stop at a specific point, but rather continue to retract slowly. I have tried a pry bar to no avail. As we all know, HWH is backed up for troubleshooting call-backs, so I hoping someone has had a similar issue and found the solution.
reosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

I can almost guarantee you the jack needs to be rebuilt. I have the same issue with a couple of mine as have many others. I'm at the point I use pads under the jacks now and carry a light weight floor jack with me. They always come up enough just to get the pad out and then I use the jack to get them up the rest of the way.
It's a bit of a pain but I don't feel like going the whole summer without them while the are HWH getting fixed. I will take them off eventually and see if one of our local shops can rebuild them.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #3

Nope....not the jack..per my last paragraph, I bled the fluid @ the distribution manifold and it came right up as it should, so it is down to solenoid, check valve or shuttle valve. At least I know the panic 911 manner to raise a jack. Spray all the fitting with a good penetrant just in case, and bleeding at the manifold connection is a bit messy (place a small pan under to catch the fluid) but pretty much failsafe unless there is a physical issue with the jack itself. keep a 5/8 and 9/16 open end wrench handy, and you will have an option that HWH does not suggest in the troubleshooting manual. Before you go to all the trouble to remove you jacks, try what I did. You might be pleasantly surprised....but as in my case, you still have to narrow down where in the manifold assembly the issues exists.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #4

Quick update. When I pulled one of the check valves, per HWH instructions, there was a loose piece in the valve body.....just ordered a check valve replacement kit for 30 bucks....noticed in the illustration that there is a spring in the assembly. When I removed the LR check valve, there was no spring...just a plunger kinda loose in the manifold. Staring simple. BTW, I have found NW RV supply to be a reliable source of HWH parts.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reosw View Post
Quick update. When I pulled one of the check valves, per HWH instructions, there was a loose piece in the valve body.....just ordered a check valve replacement kit for 30 bucks....noticed in the illustration that there is a spring in the assembly. When I removed the LR check valve, there was no spring...just a plunger kinda loose in the manifold. Staring simple. BTW, I have found NW RV supply to be a reliable source of HWH parts.
Glad you solved your problem, unfortunately my problem is the two jacks themselves.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

Bummer...are you certain ? Have you tried bleeding them at the manifold ? If that doesnt work, then I tend to agree with your conclusion, but I would start simple if at all possible. Removing them is a rather daunting DIY job.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

I've tried bleeding them right at the cylinder and they still need help up even with new springs. It's a common problem and my rv is 20 years, nothing lasts forever.

Tags
hwh