Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

HWH Jack / Solenoid Problem

Well, to start off with, about 2 months ago I purchased a 1997 Thor Residency motorhome. The price was incredibly because the 2 slides, all 4 jacks and the generator did not work. After replacing a fuel line, I got the generator working. For the slides/jacks I contacted HWW and they suggested a new shuttle valve. I bought one and swapped it out, but nothing changed. HWH was convinced it was the pump/tank assembly and that is what the prior owner thought as well. However, after some additional tinkering with the system I discoved that the electric motor was installed backwards (power lead reversed). When I swapped them over the slides and jacks worked.

Unfortunately, only 3 of the jacks worked. The right front jack came down about 3 inches and would not go back up. I tried opening the "T" handled valve, but it still would not budge. Several people suggested that the jack was bad and needed rebuilt. However, I felt that I needed to do some more investigating. I wanted to test it out by either swapping the 2 front jack solenoids or swapping the lines at the manifold. I spoke with HWH and they advised doing the lines.

Well, I swapped the two front lines for the hydraulic jacks where they come out of the manifold. When I released the hose for the stuck right front jack a bunch of fluid came out. After they were hooked up I tried the jacks and WOW, the right front jack worked fined. It came completely down and lifted up the RV. However, as expected, the left front jack now did not work. I also left the jacks down for about a half hour and there were no problems. When I used the "dump" button I measured the voltage at the soleinoid for the suspected soleinoid and it was about 11 volts. Is that voltage correct? Since the solenoid is getting power, would this mean that the right front solenoid is bad? I didn't try it while I was there, but I was thinking of swapping the input connectors on two of the solenoids to make sure it's getting the right voltage or is the 11 volts correct?

Assuming it is the solenoid, does anyone know how much one of those cost? Are they specific to my RV or universal?

Thanks,
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #2

Glad your able to get at least some things fixed.
Question , when your measuring the voltage , are you checking with the connector off the solinoid , or are you back probing the wire with the solinoid trying to function?
11 volts with the solinoid drawing power, would be about right. Did you check the others ?
I would think that in order to eliminate the possibility,of a plugged passage in the fluid supply manifold that you should swap solinoids .

Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor, do you solenoids look like the one in the attached picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid1.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	38571  
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome.

When I checked the voltage I unplugged the suspect solenoid and checked when I pushed the "dump" button.

My solenoid is an older style than the one shown. Its large with a "T" handle on the back.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

With only the suspect solinoid disconnected, the dump cycle is still feeding power to the other 3 , only way to check for full battery power to that solinoid would be to disconnect all 4, or while using the down arrow on the one solinoid's wiring.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #6

Go to the HWH and download their manual for the system you have. They have trouble shooting and pictures in the manual
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Commercial Member

11 volts is more than sufficient to open the valve. they will open down to 9.8 volts.
the diagnosis is done. the hydraulic solenoid is shot. replace it with hwh part number RAP0642. this can be either new or reman. the reman is cheaper, if they have any in stock. hwh list price for new is $222.00 plus shipping. email them at service@hwh.com. name address, phone number, and coach vin year and make(for part warranty) they will call you back
Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #8

I have a 625 series HWH jack system. The left front jack creeps up after a couple days,no leaks, and stores fine..What is the part number of the solenoid. Its a 1 1/2" dia. barrel also do I have to store all jacks and slideouts before changing it out..very tight quarters with slideout in..Thanks Bill
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Commercial Member

if its a 625 system, and the solenoid is 1 1/2 in diameter. the number is RAP90729
the RAP0642 is for the larger solenoid. these were used on the 610 system.
if your coach is 2002 or newer, the small solenoid is the correct one.
and yes the jacks should be stored.the rooms are ok either way. its easier to replace when the room is extended.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've learned the hard way that you can't leave these solenoids on too long while you wait for the jacks to retract. And the colder it is the longer they take to retract. I now go out with an iron pry bar and "help them up". Starting at the back two. Usually by the time I get them up the fronts are stowed. Last time I had to replace a solenoid the tech gave me a sheet of paper from HWH that explained how long you could leave the solenoid energized depending on the ambient temp. If you leave them on too long they get hot and burn out. I haven't had to replace any since I started helping the jacks to retract. The whole process only takes a few minutes. I know it's not something you should have to do but it's cheaper then replacing solenoids all the time. I've also had all of the springs replaced but that didn't make any difference in the retract speed.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Commercial Member

gary, youre right about spring replacement. if you have to pry the cylinder up, the cylinder needs to be rebuilt. even the old square end springs, when cleaned up and wire brushed to remove the road grime will retract a good cylinder. only if you can push it up by hand will springs help.
too many owners will replace the springs hoping that will be the cheap fix, knowing deep down that the cylinder is the problem.
that said, i always recommend new springs with a new cylinder, if the old springs dont clean up very good.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

Found one on ebay $165 free shipping, 5min job Thanks now the one jack stays down..
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #13

hwh solonoid

Anyone replaced the O rings on a hwh solenoid? mine looks like there are 3 small ones on the end and 2 on the screw end? Also do I have to get new ones from hwh or a hardware store have them..Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #14

The o-ring kit must come from HWH as they have special cross sections. Be sure to follow HWH's install instructions as some of the o-rings are directional.

Tags
hwh